Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: wetsuits

  1. #1

    wetsuits

    I was wondering if anyone here commonly goes out on the water on a jet ski or kayak in colder weather with a wetsuit on? When I say "colder," I mean water being in the 50's. Does a wet suit keep you warm enough so you don't freeze?

    I really don't know what I'm doing here but I am guessing the average water temp temp in April/May is about 55 degrees

    Maryland DNR - Eyes on the Bay - Bay Cond

    So I guess I should make sure the suit is a 4/5mm??
    Last edited by Dakota; 02-20-2013 at 07:39 PM.
    Please neuter and spay your pets.... and your weird friends and relatives.

  2. #2
    I'm afraid to order one online so does anyone know of a place(s) that may have a pretty good selection? It sounds like when you go up in mm - that they can be stiff and uncomfortable.
    Please neuter and spay your pets.... and your weird friends and relatives.

  3. #3
    Getting a wet suit that can handle weather like we have now would be 1/4", which is pretty inflexible for paddling. Even 1/8" inch is kind of heavy.

    A surf or paddling suit is thinner, but is pretty good protection when the sun is out. I'd use one as early as late March, but I have a tough hide. Keeping your feet warm is very important. Wet suit booties help a whole lot.

    There is a kayak place in Solomons near Boomerangs. I'll bet they have paddling suits you could look at.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

  4. #4
    Registered User SoMDGirl42's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2007
    Location
    One foot on a banana peel
    Posts
    13,889
    I am not a kayaker but I think what you'll need for cold water is a drysuit. Wet suits will not protect you as much from cold water as you still get wet.

    I'd seek some professional opinions before buying anything just to be sure.

    Dry suit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    Getting a wet suit that can handle weather like we have now would be 1/4", which is pretty inflexible for paddling. Even 1/8" inch is kind of heavy.

    A surf or paddling suit is thinner, but is pretty good protection when the sun is out. I'd use one as early as late March, but I have a tough hide. Keeping your feet warm is very important. Wet suit booties help a whole lot.

    There is a kayak place in Solomons near Boomerangs. I'll bet they have paddling suits you could look at.
    Would that be West Marine? I'm concerned with the flexibility and of course, ending up in cold fricken water so trying them on and getting a clue would be best.

    Quote Originally Posted by SoMDGirl42 View Post
    I am not a kayaker but I think what you'll need for cold water is a drysuit. Wet suits will not protect you as much from cold water as you still get wet.

    I'd seek some professional opinions before buying anything just to be sure.

    Dry suit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Professional opinions is a must for sure. I have never (perhaps shouldn't say never) fallen off the jet ski but with my luck, that one time the water is real cold, I'll end up in it. I cannot say the same with Kayaking; I've managed to put myself in the water a few times.
    Please neuter and spay your pets.... and your weird friends and relatives.

  6. #6
    Registered User SoMDGirl42's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2007
    Location
    One foot on a banana peel
    Posts
    13,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    Professional opinions is a must for sure. I have never (perhaps shouldn't say never) fallen off the jet ski but with my luck, that one time the water is real cold, I'll end up in it. I cannot say the same with Kayaking; I've managed to put myself in the water a few times.
    Then don't risk it and put yourself in danger, go with a dry suit. Have fun!

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    Would that be West Marine?
    No.
    Patuxent Adventure Center | Sales | Rentals | Repairs | Solomons, MD 20688
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

  8. #8
    Thanks I had previously looked at West Marine and if I remember correctly, all they had (when I looked) was the short suits.
    Please neuter and spay your pets.... and your weird friends and relatives.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    Thanks I had previously looked at West Marine and if I remember correctly, all they had (when I looked) was the short suits.
    What size are you? I have a surf suit (high collar, back zipper, one piece full length) that I've had for years, I think it's a men's med or large. Way too small for me anymore.

    You're welcome to it to try/keep.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    I was wondering if anyone here commonly goes out on the water on a jet ski or kayak in colder weather with a wetsuit on? When I say "colder," I mean water being in the 50's. Does a wet suit keep you warm enough so you don't freeze?

    I really don't know what I'm doing here but I am guessing the average water temp temp in April/May is about 55 degrees

    Maryland DNR - Eyes on the Bay - Bay Cond

    So I guess I should make sure the suit is a 4/5mm??
    Wind surfers that I see in chilly weather wear dry suits.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |