No Black Nurses to care for Baby per Dad's request

Misfit

Lawful neutral
ABC12 Investigates: Hurley nurse sues, alleges race discriminati - ABC 12

The veteran nurse says the father approached her while she was caring for his baby. He wanted to talk to her supervisor.

Her lawsuit, just recently filed in Genesee County Circuit Court, alleges, "The father told the Charge Nurse that he did not want any African Americans taking care of his baby. While telling the Charge Nurse, he pulled up his sleeve and showed some type of tattoo which was believed to be a swastika of some kind."

The lawsuit claims a nurse manager re-assigned the baby to another nurse, then later met with another supervisor to OK the father's request and then also had a staff meeting to let others know about the decision.

ABC12 has obtained a copy of a note the lawsuit claims was prominently posted on the assignment clipboard. It reads "Please, No African American Nurses to care for Baby per Dad's request. Thank you."

mAlice

professional daydreamer
A longtime nurse says she was re-assigned, at the request of a baby's father, because she is black. She is suing the hospital, its board of managers and her manager.

This is just looking for a quick buck. There is absolutely no reason to hold the hospital accountable for the hospital respecting the patients wishes.

bcp

In My Opinion
People should have the right to pick their childs caregiver.
My daughter had black nurses caring for her right after she was born, but I do understand someone not wanting it.
I would not for instance want any family member to have a black doctor, but thats just because of the chance of them being in the field only due to affirmative action and quotas and not becuase of skill.

Not to say that there are not black doctors that are 100% on the ball, but the chance is there that they are not.

sockgirl77

My daughter had black nurses caring for her right after she was born, but I do understand someone not wanting it.
I would not for instance want any family member to have a black doctor, but thats just because of the chance of them being in the field only due to affirmative action and quotas and not becuase of skill.

Not to say that there are not black doctors that are 100% on the ball, but the chance is there that they are not.

OMFG. You are a bigoted #######.

mAlice

professional daydreamer

That may be true, but if I didn't want a male nurse, or a nurse with red hair, that wish should be respected. I don't think a patient should be made to feel uncomfortable while hospitalized. The nurses and doctors should rise above it. Take it for what it is, and move on.

You can't be serious.

:yeahthat:

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
This happens ALLL the time. And it isnt just black nurses. I even had a family ask their nurse if I could be replaced as their CNA with a black one to make their family memeber more comfortable. And MORE than once had male pts ask for an "older" CNA to put in their catheters :killingme... I have had pts ask for either male or female cargivers, diffferent races, different ages, etc

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I'll go even one better. The doctor can advise the patient that they will start their discharge paperwork immediately.

What if this black nurse denied caring for a white child? Could that be reassigned and brushed off?

That may be true, but if I didn't want a male nurse, or a nurse with red hair, that wish should be respected. I don't think a patient should be made to feel uncomfortable while hospitalized. The nurses and doctors should rise above it. Take it for what it is, and move on.

I agree...I don't think their should be a lawsuit for this, as unfortunate as it is. There are racist, ignorant people everywhere.

sockgirl77

It is not a damn buffet. You cannot walk into a hospital and choose which doctors/nurses get to attend to you. It is a medical care facility. I bet he wouldn't care if that baby was dying and Mammy was the only one that could save it.

This happens ALLL the time. And it isnt just black nurses. I even had a family ask their nurse if I could be replaced as their CNA with a black one to make their family memeber more comfortable. And MORE than once had male pts ask for an "older" CNA to put in their catheters :killingme... I have had pts ask for either male or female cargivers, diffferent races, different ages, etc

I thought you worked for a contractor? You're a nurse?

Dakota

~~~~~~~

Agree. The hospital cannot police all the bias opinions of patients in their care nor override them for that matter. At the end of the day, they are paid to provide a service.

Misfit

Lawful neutral

I only have female Doctor's. It's less embarrassing when I get a hard on that way. :yay: