Time to get Hoyer out!

onebmf

NATIONAL DEFENSE PAC ANNOUNCES ENDORSEMENT OF U. S. MARINE VETERAN BRAD JEWITT FOR ELECTION TO CONGRESS IN MARYLAND’S 5TH CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT

NATIONAL DEFENSE PAC HQ, Washington, DC: April 28, 2004.

NATIONAL DEFENSE PAC today announced their 2004 endorsement of Brad Jewitt for election to The House of Representatives from the 5th District of Maryland.

NATIONAL DEFENSE PAC Chairman, Rear Admiral [Ret.] James J. Carey stated, “Brad Jewitt has NATIONAL DEFENSE PAC’s full support for election to the House of Representatives. He’s served our country in America’s armed forces, he knows the hardships and dangers first hand, and he’s committed to keeping the promises made to our veterans when they first agreed to risk their lives to face America’s enemies. Brad Jewitt is whom we want making decisions that impact on our military veterans of wars past and today’s young Americans now serving in our Armed Forces. He’s already “walked in their shoes” and understands what it takes to train and fight and win”.

Brad joined the U. S. Marine Corps in 1989 and still serves in the Marine Corps Reserve today where he holds the rank of Major. This past February at a Veteran’s event hosted by Jewitt, he stated, “There is no better way to honor those who sacrificed their lives for our country than by ensuring that today’s veterans are treated with dignity and respect. Regardless of our economic climate, the Congress must ensure that we continue to make progress in the areas that matter to our veterans. This includes continuing to improve concurrent receipt and survivor benefits, providing better pay for our servicemen and women, improving the way claims are handled by the Veterans Administration, and expanding veterans health benefits --- to include establishing new veterans health care facilities across the country in order to give veterans access to the services they clearly need and have earned. We must honor the service of our Marines, soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Coast Guardsmen who have repeatedly answered the call of duty to defend and secure our great nation.”

Admiral Carey responded “The 5th Congressional District of Maryland is home to thousands of military veterans and an equally significant number of Maryland men and women, both active duty and Guard & Reserve who serve in the military today. They need Brad Jewitt representing them in the U. S. Congress and NATIONAL DEFENSE PAC intends to do all we can to help make that happen”.

Commenting on Brad Jewitt’s candidacy, NDP’s Vice Chairman Rob Hartwell said, “Over the last 20 years, I’ve run dozens of campaigns, served as a Chief of Staff to three Members of Congress, and worked closely with the Congress on politics and policy. Jewitt has the experience, the know-how, and the ability to hit the ground running and succeed the day the new Congress is convened. The voters of Maryland’s 5th Congressional District are truly fortunate to have a candidate of this exceptionally high caliber.

NATIONAL DEFENSE PAC endorsed sixty-five military veteran candidates for Congress in 2002 and fifty-seven were elected. Jewitt now joins that elite group of veterans endorsed for election to Congress by NATIONAL DEFENSE PAC. We look forward to his “triple service with distinction” as citizen, military veteran, and Member of Congress.

Full details on NATIONAL DEFENSE PAC’s mission are on their web site at www.nationaldefensepac.org. The Jewitt for Congress campaign headquarters can be reached at 301-486-0089 or via their web site at www. jewitt2004.com.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Like him or not, Hoyer does respond to the needs of the constituates and as number 2 Democrat in the House, he has the clout to get stuff done that will benefit the district.

Voting him out now, given his rank and influence would be the most ignorant thing the district could do.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by Dymphna
Like him or not, Hoyer does respond to the needs of the constituates and as number 2 Democrat in the House, he has the clout to get stuff done that will benefit the district.

I understand that, but I still favor one-term limits for all political offices.

Dymphna

Originally posted by Tonio
I understand that, but I still favor one-term limits for all political offices.
Wow, a COMPLETELY new House every two years. Congressmen wander around in a daze for the first year as it is. The whole place would be run by staffers who control the Congressmen by withholding the location of the bathrooms from them.

Pete

Repete

Voting him out now, given his rank and influence would be the most ignorant thing the district could do.
Keeping a congressman around that votes for bad bills and promotes the liberal agenda just because he has "rank" is actually the most ignorant thing the district could do.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Wow, a COMPLETELY new House every two years. Congressmen wander around in a daze for the first year as it is. The whole place would be run by staffers who control the Congressmen by withholding the location of the bathrooms from them.

:lol:

I was thinking six-year terms in both houses of Congress and for President, with no eligibility for re-election.

And, aren't those Congressional staffers political appointees, whose jobs depend on who gets elected?

Dymphna

Originally posted by Tonio
And, aren't those Congressional staffers political appointees, whose jobs depend on who gets elected?
yes, but the smart politicians keep the experienced staffers around.

Dymphna

Originally posted by Pete
Keeping a congressman around that votes for bad bills and promotes the liberal agenda just because he has "rank" is actually the most ignorant thing the district could do.
He uses his rank to keep Pax open and growing. He's managed to keep Indian Head open too, despite it being a rather antiquated facility, I understand they've made a number of upgrades there in recent years too. He has promoted early childhood education and educating the educators in order to lay a foundation for early learning.

Of course his agenda leans liberal. He is a democrat afterall (so am I btw) but if he were really effing up that bad and failed to respond to the constituents, he never would have achieved the rank he has.

ylexot

Super Genius
Originally posted by Pete
Yeah, not only does he not do what I want, he has "rank", so he's more effective at not doing what I want. Sounds like it would be ignorant to vote for him to me...

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
The national defense pac, wow sounds impressive.

Hmmm, lets check it out....http://www.nationaldefensepac.org/

Their main goal is to "elect veterans who fully support our military to congress". Wow, impressive, RADM Carey must have parkinson's or be very old and he needs to get somebody to fix the website too.

If I got this endorsement I wouldn't brag about it, but what are Jewitt's other qualifications?

Hessian

Hoyer...given credit for boosting Pax River...um,..dumb question here: was it ever on the "hit list?" I never read anywhere that it was going to be chopped...so, we can thank Hoyer for the incredible overcrowding, traffic jams, destruction of farms & woodland...what a great Democrat.

Early education for children...smells of Stalinist Russia: Get them as early as possible, institutionalize them,...make them dependent on the state. Remove traditional religion myths and get the parents depending on institutional child care...How wonderful.

Hoyer has been an unparalled disaster for Southern Maryland.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I've heard that there's some rivalry between Pax and Edwards AFB. Each wants to be the sole base for designing and testing the military's aircraft. Don't know if that's true.

Dymphna

Originally posted by Hessian
Hoyer...given credit for boosting Pax River...um,..dumb question here: was it ever on the "hit list?" I never read anywhere that it was going to be chopped...so, we can thank Hoyer for the incredible overcrowding, traffic jams, destruction of farms & woodland...what a great Democrat.
In 1991, Pax was rumored to be on the hit list, then redistricting came and Pax was put in Hoyer's district and suddenly, Pax was getting programs.

Originally posted by Hessian
Early education for children...smells of Stalinist Russia: Get them as early as possible, institutionalize them,...make them dependent on the state. Remove traditional religion myths and get the parents depending on institutional child care...How wonderful.

Hoyer has been an unparalled disaster for Southern Maryland.
Um, I was talking about supporting programs to educate early childhood teachers, preschool teachers and such. How are better educated teachers bad for kids? How is it some form of indoctrination? How is that creating dependancy on institutionalized child care?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by jlabsher
If I got this endorsement I wouldn't brag about it, but what are Jewitt's other qualifications?
Frankly, he's just a politician - he doesn't need any qualifications other than a pulse. And if he were in Missouri, he wouldn't even need that to get elected.

The paperboy jumped in out of nowhere and became a pretty good County Commissioner.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by vraiblonde
The paperboy jumped in out of nowhere and became a pretty good County Commissioner.

I didn't like him or Barbara Thompson, because the two always seemed to be sqaubbling over very personal issues. The same thing has been happening this term between Roy Dyson and Tommy McKay--one says black, the other says white. I think it's embarrassing for the voters when rival politicians act like old, sour married couples in public.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Pax was on the 91 hit list and we worked our way off, not via Hoyer, but by our value to the Navy and military aviation. In the current round we are again on the list (as are all military activities) and are again working our way off the list. It helps to have a politicain with clout but not much as you still have to prove your worth to the services and I am confident that we will do so again.

As much as I like the idea of getting rid of another liberal democrap in congress, voting Hoyer out of office would be as dumb for us as voting Morella out was for Montgomery Co. Van Hollen has NO power and is doing NOTHING for Montgomery Co., unlike Morella, who brought lots to Montgomery Co. As long as Hoyer continues to protect the jobs of govt. workers and gets the civilian govt. workers the pay parity with the military, he will continue to get my vote. Although, since I don't think Jewitt has a chance in heck of getting elected, I may vote for him anyway, but I doubt it. Gotta see if he has any good platforms other than that he is a repub. and likesthe military.

Cletus_Vandam

Dymphna, you're wrong

Dymphna, how can you say that Hoyer listens to the people before making a decision. Several years ago (maybe 6 or 8) the largest tax hike in US history was put forward by Clinton. Hoyer voted yes. I placed several calls to Hoyers office beofre the votes asking that he vote no. After the vote passed, I called Hoyer's office, asked how he voted, asked how the majority of callers requested he vote, how he voted and why he voted that way.

I was told the majority of callers requested that Hoyer vote against the tax increase. Responding to my why question, I was told: "he did so becasue he knew better than all of the callers".

And what about the check scandal of several years ago. Has everyone forgotten his writing checks that bounced on the congress account???? This wasn't as simple as not knowing there wasn't money in an account...

A good politician is supposed to be a voice for the people, not someone with their own agenda. Hoyer is HORRIBLE. He needs to go. I have voted against him since I have been able to vote. The problem is that enough people out there just don't know that he is just another tax/spend bobble-head. :boo:

willie

Steny is maybe OK but Michael E. Busch is a total loser and probably the most power hungry partisan in Maryland. A Ted Kennedy wannabee. Hoyer didn't cause this to be one of the most useless sessions for Maryland in history, it was Busch.