My picky eater

acommondisaster

I've posted before about my 10 year old Rat Terrier who suddenly stopped eating. We ran her through a ton of tests that all came back negative. They suggested we take her to Annapolis for a sonagram, but we had to hold off because it was just too close to Christmas and we didn't have the cash to find out that either nothing was wrong or that she needed some very expensive procedure that we just weren't prepared to spend. (I refuse to put thousands of dollars into a 10 year old dog.) Without wanting to start that whole debate again, I just wanted to say that shortly after the holidays, she started eating again. She's not the ravenous eater she once was, but she's gained back some weight and looks good again.

But she's weird. Won't eat out of a bowl, it has to be on a plate. She'll vocalize to be fed, she jumps up excitedly (I love the terrier jump!) while I get it ready, but I still have to give her the first taste on a fork - then she'll go to town on the plate. She stops eating if I try to sneak an extra spoonful or two onto her plate. She smells EVERYTHING first - and she sniffs at us much more vigorously than she used to whenever we come home. She'll eat bread as long as it doesnt have butter on it. She begs for treats and then hordes them to eat later. She's still extremely picky about which food she eats, but she loves Rachel Ray's dog food and a homeopathic brand from Petco, so that's what she gets. I have a feeling that this is old age setting in early. She is having separation problems that she never had before - she's shaking like a leaf when I come home from leaving her for a few hours. Her personality just seems to have changed to much needier than she was before.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
Be patient with her and give her extra care and love. She sounds like she still has alot to give and time to give it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
She's old. :shrug: Before Claudia stopped eating altogether, I'd scramble eggs for her. Mix up some cottage cheese and wet food. Whatever she wouldn't turn her nose up at. It's good that she's eating again and has put on some weight. :yay:

Lilypad

In the scope of a Rat Terrier's life 10 isn't that old, don't they live to be 15-20 yrs old? Sounds like you have done a great job figuring out you lil furbabys needs/wants. They are sweet looking little dogs.

acommondisaster

She's the best dog ever - she'll get whatever she wants (come to think of it, she always has.) Thank you all for listening to my trials with my pup lately - it's been nice to have access to other dog lovers who can relate.

Roman

I've posted before about my 10 year old Rat Terrier who suddenly stopped eating. We ran her through a ton of tests that all came back negative. They suggested we take her to Annapolis for a sonagram, but we had to hold off because it was just too close to Christmas and we didn't have the cash to find out that either nothing was wrong or that she needed some very expensive procedure that we just weren't prepared to spend. (I refuse to put thousands of dollars into a 10 year old dog.) Without wanting to start that whole debate again, I just wanted to say that shortly after the holidays, she started eating again. She's not the ravenous eater she once was, but she's gained back some weight and looks good again.

But she's weird. Won't eat out of a bowl, it has to be on a plate. She'll vocalize to be fed, she jumps up excitedly (I love the terrier jump!) while I get it ready, but I still have to give her the first taste on a fork - then she'll go to town on the plate. She stops eating if I try to sneak an extra spoonful or two onto her plate. She smells EVERYTHING first - and she sniffs at us much more vigorously than she used to whenever we come home. She'll eat bread as long as it doesnt have butter on it. She begs for treats and then hordes them to eat later. She's still extremely picky about which food she eats, but she loves Rachel Ray's dog food and a homeopathic brand from Petco, so that's what she gets. I have a feeling that this is old age setting in early. She is having separation problems that she never had before - she's shaking like a leaf when I come home from leaving her for a few hours. Her personality just seems to have changed to much needier than she was before.
Now this is good news. I wanted to post to see how she was doing, but I was afraid it wouldn't be good. Thanks for letting us know, and I hope that she stays in good health.