Md Tax Refund

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
How long is it taking for our forum peeps to get their Md tax refund back? Ours seems to be taking a lot longer than normal.

NextJen

Raisin cane
How long is it taking for our forum peeps to get their Md tax refund back? Ours seems to be taking a lot longer than normal.

I e-filed mine on Feb. 3 and it was direct deposited to my credit union within 3 weeks.

However, I just received a corrected 1098 from my mortgage company where they neglected to originally report the mortgage insurance premium I had paid. Now I will need to file an amended return - thankfully I'm getting more of a refund. Wonder how long that will take to get?

Vince

If you have one of those energy credits, you couldn't submit it until after the 28th of Feb for some reason. :shrug:

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
I e-filed mine on Feb. 3 and it was direct deposited to my credit union within 3 weeks.

However, I just received a corrected 1098 from my mortgage company where they neglected to originally report the mortgage insurance premium I had paid. Now I will need to file an amended return - thankfully I'm getting more of a refund. Wonder how long that will take to get?

Thanks, Usually we receive ours within a week or so after E-file but maybe they're taking longer for everyone

Refund?! Who gets a refund? Poor financial planning.

Nope. Good planning.

As I've shown before, if everyone did that and got $0 back, then the govt wouldn't have all those extra $$ to use thru the year. The first they they will do is raise taxes to get their slush funds back. I'd rather take a no-interest one-time payback than a rate hike anyday.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
The refunds are late because O' Malley and Miller are trying to figure out legislation that gets rid of refunds. You pay too much and the State keeps it. That money will be directed to the Metro system and State Police for the enhanced firearms background checks.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I just eFiled/iFiled yesterday for myself and Thing1. I'll report back when I hear from them. (I eFile with TaxAct for federal & state. For Thing1 I was filing for him to get back his withheld taxes, as he didn't make that much. I didn't want to pay to eFile State. Found out you can "iFile" MD state returns at https://interactive.marylandtaxes.com/Individuals/iFile_ChooseForm/default.asp )

BUT - back to the refunds. Yes, I get a refund. It's not poor financial planning, however. I am one of those people who gets more money back than I paid in taxes from both Fed and state. I am filing Head of Household (EIC)and still receive the Child Tax Credit. (but, not after this year!) Don't worry - I'm losing my tax deduction, so this is probably the last year I will receive such a refund.

I used to feel kind of guilty about it, BUT HELL's BELLS - what do I do? Turn it down?! Rest assured, I am using our US tax dollars well. I am not splurging on trips to Disneyworld or taking cruises to the Bahamas with it. I typically put it into my HSA, however, since my new job 2 years ago, I have a benefit where my employer puts in about half the amount I'm allowed to put in. SO this year, I will now put half into my HSA and the other half will be used to pay someone to tile my kitchen floor. I will take pictures and post them here so everyone can see their tax $$ at work.

:cartwheel

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
I e-filed Turbo tax Feb 6th. State excepted the next day and I still haven't gotten the refund. Federal finaly excepted this morning. I think the delay is rental property tax laws were not ready? :shrug:

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
I just eFiled/iFiled yesterday for myself and Thing1. I'll report back when I hear from them. (I eFile with TaxAct for federal & state. For Thing1 I was filing for him to get back his withheld taxes, as he didn't make that much. I didn't want to pay to eFile State. Found out you can "iFile" MD state returns at https://interactive.marylandtaxes.com/Individuals/iFile_ChooseForm/default.asp )

BUT - back to the refunds. Yes, I get a refund. It's not poor financial planning, however. I am one of those people who gets more money back than I paid in taxes from both Fed and state. I am filing Head of Household (EIC)and still receive the Child Tax Credit. (but, not after this year!) Don't worry - I'm losing my tax deduction, so this is probably the last year I will receive such a refund.

I used to feel kind of guilty about it, BUT HELL's BELLS - what do I do? Turn it down?! Rest assured, I am using our US tax dollars well. I am not splurging on trips to Disneyworld or taking cruises to the Bahamas with it. I typically put it into my HSA, however, since my new job 2 years ago, I have a benefit where my employer puts in about half the amount I'm allowed to put in. SO this year, I will now put half into my HSA and the other half will be used to pay someone to tile my kitchen floor. I will take pictures and post them here so everyone can see their tax $$ at work.

:cartwheel

I still don't understand this concept........ Is it a form of welfare?

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I still don't understand this concept........ Is it a form of welfare?

Who cares?! It's free money! :yahoo:

But, seriously. I guess it is. But hell, I actually work for a living. I am a full time employee and I have been since 2005, when I got divorced. (When I had kids, I was a SAHM for 15 years and prior to that I worked from age 18-30) I am not receiving any "public assistance" in the form of food stamps, or welfare. My kids don't even "qualify" for free lunches. However, I do take advantage of federal programs out there for "qualified" people.

I support TWO kids (ok, their dad also pays child support, but that has been in jeopardy lately and is a totally different tread) I rented an apartment until July 2008 when I put a contract on a "short sale" house. I took advantage of the "Rural Development" program to buy my house. I moved into that house in Feb 2009. It got my kids into a decent neighborhood, and I am close to schools, work, shopping. I planned that well. :shrug:

On my income return: I also get to file as the Head of household, which gives me the Earned income credit which has been around for quite a number of years. I had 2 kids under age 17, so I was entitled to take advantage of the Child Tax Credit. (however, as of 2013, I no longer have a child under 17)

Anyhoo, why not take advantage of these programsj? Someone will, and I qualify - so why not?

SG_Player1974

Filed TurboTax early February... had money deposited in 1 week.

One thing I did notice was I received less this year with Federal and State TOGETHER than I did last year just in FEDERAL!!! :twitch:

Gotta love Obamanomics!!

I just did ours too.
Owed Federal $303.00.
Payed by credit card, only to get a 2.49% fee to pay.

bastages.

With TurboTax, Federal filing is free, state costs $20, but I'm getting back in both cases.

Filed at 5:35, Federal accepted at 5:42.