Protect Your Pets and Families from Rabies

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
With spring approaching, the St. Mary's County Health Department is reminding residents about the dangers of rabies and encouraging pet owners in particular to take action to protect their animals and their families from exposure to this potentially deadly disease. Residents are reminded that bites and scratches by any animal should be reported to the St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office at 301-475-8008. Animals that display unusual or aggressive behavior may pose the threat of rabies and should be reported immediately to Animal Control at 301-475-8018.

Pet owners are urged to check their pet's record to make sure the rabies vaccine is current. Adequate vaccination is important to protect a pet and its family from the threat of rabies. Domestic animals that are not vaccinated against rabies are vulnerable to this potentially fatal disease, particularly if they spend time outdoors.

Rabies is spread through the saliva of an infected animal. In St. Mary's County, the main carriers of rabies are wild animals including raccoons, skunks and foxes. Allowing pets to roam unsupervised, and approaching unknown animals, including domesticated pets, increases the likelihood of coming into contact with an infected animal and the saliva that could spread the disease.

Owners caring for their pet after contact with a possibly rabid animal are warned that the rabies virus may persist in traces of saliva for up to two hours. As a precaution, pet owners should avoid direct contact with saliva from a possibly rabid animal which may be found on a pet's fur. Domestic animals that have contact with a rabid animal may develop this disease if protective measures are not taken. When a pet has a current rabies vaccine and has been exposed to known or suspected rabies, a rabies booster vaccine and 45 day quarantine are necessary. When a pet does not have a current vaccine and has been exposed to known or suspected rabies, the options available to pet owners are to have the pet humanely euthanized or have the pet vaccinated and held in strict isolation for six months.

Rabies in cats, dogs and ferrets is preventable through adequate and regular vaccination. Maryland requires cats, dogs and ferrets four months and older to be currently vaccinated against rabies. Through a partnership with the St. Mary's Animal Welfare League, low cost rabies vaccination clinics will be held the second Monday of each month from 6:00 - 8:00 p.m. through November 2013 at the St. Mary's County Fairgrounds in Leonardtown. The cost is $10 per shot. For more information call 301-373-5650 or visit the website at www.smawl.org.

For more information about rabies and rabies prevention, please visit our website at www.smchd.org or call the health department at 301-475-4321.

Not only should your vaccinations be up to date but make sure all the paperwork proving it is readily available. Our outdoor cat was in a fight last week and suffered a direct full bite to the face from the other animal he was fighing with (we think cat). We get his rabies shots through the SMAWL clinics and any prior vet work he needed was done by Well Pet Clinic which is closed on Friday's, the day he needed to be taken to a vet. We took him to Three Notch and the vet said us having his shots up to date and the proper paperwork saved us all a lot of stress and possible trouble... :yay:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Not only should your vaccinations be up to date but make sure all the paperwork proving it is readily available. Our outdoor cat was in a fight last week and suffered a direct full bite to the face from the other animal he was fighing with (we think cat). We get his rabies shots through the SMAWL clinics and any prior vet work he needed was done by Well Pet Clinic which is closed on Friday's, the day he needed to be taken to a vet. We took him to Three Notch and the vet said us having his shots up to date and the proper paperwork saved us all a lot of stress and possible trouble... :yay:

:high5:

on having all paperwork with ya......:buddies:

how is the kitteh doing???

:high5:

on having all paperwork with ya......:buddies:

how is the kitteh doing???

His face abcessed in the blink of an eye so the vet gave him an antibiotic shot that would last 2 weeks, a kitty pain shot that would last 24 hours and made sure the abcess opened and drained and then cleaned him up. He came home that evening and ate like normal then caught a mole that evening and aonther one the next day and the face is clearing up pretty good so I'd say he's doing quite well...:clap: We had him neutered and vetted when we realized he wasn't going to leave when he first showed up a little over two years ago, but he is still very male and territorial... I'm willing to bet the other cat got the worst of the fight as I've not seen on hangin around looking all alpha-cat...:lmao:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
His face abcessed in the blink of an eye so the vet gave him an antibiotic shot that would last 2 weeks, a kitty pain shot that would last 24 hours and made sure the abcess opened and drained and then cleaned him up. He came home that evening and ate like normal then caught a mole that evening and aonther one the next day and the face is clearing up pretty good so I'd say he's doing quite well...:clap: We had him neutered and vetted when we realized he wasn't going to leave when he first showed up a little over two years ago, but he is still very male and territorial... I'm willing to bet the other cat got the worst of the fight as I've not seen on hangin around looking all alpha-cat...:lmao:

i know.... they come up fast... saw it all the time at the ER....
and nasty when we drain it.... :barf:
two of my females will have it out almost every month or so... and the one always ends up with an abcess.... but lucky for me that i have a great relationship with my vet and my background experiance... i have refills on antibiotics on hand for the drama at my house!! :killingme

thought my cat was gonna lay the one dog out the other day....:catfight:....
she finally had enough of the dog chasing her.. and she lashed out!!! SO BAD the dog was hiding behind me!!! :killingme