Pet Parks... Are there any?

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Does anyone know of any places where you can take dogs to run free and exercise without worrying about leash laws or other people nagging you?  I would like to take mine so they can get exercise but every place makes you keep them on a leash and I'm sorry, my dogs aren't going to hurt anyone and I can't run as fast as they can.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I don't know of any place "legal" other than my in-laws farm, but, I have taken my dog to Greenwell out on the some of the hiking trails and let her loose.  I keep her leash with me so if anyone does show up I get a stearn finger-wagging....

:nono:

Dandydog

Greenwell State Park does have a leash law, I would advise you not to promote Greenwell like that. If the rangers catch you, you will be fined. Also there is legal hunting allowed, so your  dog might be mistaken for a deer or something. Plus the trails are used by horses and it is not fair to us to come across loose dogs. Your dogs might not harm anyone but our horses do not know that!!

(Edited by Greenwelltrp at 7:08 am on April 4, 2002)

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I have been going to Greenwell for 12 years.   I am very well aware of the rules, hunting, riding programs, etc.   In addition, my dog had been around plenty of horses, does not stray and is expremely well mannered.

Perhaps you missed the part where I stated that I have her leash handy so if anyone were to show up, I would leash her.  I guess I should have spelled that out more clearly.

Dandydog

So you are above the law! And laws don't mean anything to you. Boy it is nice to know that people like you are around and so special. How many other laws do you break?

And I am not worried about your dog, I am worried about the TRP children that I take out on trail and our horses who are not use to dogs. Your dog might be fine with horses but if a horse spooks and bolt, it is the child that pays ( and gets hurt). Think about that. Plus I will be alerting the rangers about people breaking the rules about dogs off leash. You might be the one to ruin it for everyone because they will ban dogs all togther.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
First of all, I never said I was above the law.  

You make it sound as though dogs should not be allowed period.  You know, a horse may still bolt, even if the dog is leashed, then who is at fault?  Me & my dog?  I don't think so, especially if I am following the law.

I certainly do not want to see harm to any person, either grown or child.  

Now.... lets talk about the Goose Pits and the planes that fly there.  Several years ago, I was out hiking with a friend and my dog (on her leash btw) and witnessed what could have been a horrific accident because of either a lousy pilot or a malfunctioning plane.  

This plane came headfirst down out of the sky and came crashing down NO LESS than 6 feet in front of the lead horse.  I was standing about 10 yards away and THAT was to close.  

Dandydog

No, I don't but if you don't follow the law (and that is what you were telling the lady) than way does someone esle. I would love to take my dog with me when I ride but I respect the park and the rules.

Plus I have never run into any airplanes. They pretty much stay near the Bond House and I stay on the designated horse trails.

It is just not fair to the people who do follow the rules. You should respect the parks rules. Rules are there for a reason. Like I said before, what if a hunter thought your dog was a deer and shot it, would you blame the hunter or the park? Or if you dog went after the wildlife. The rules aren't  just for the horses. It is to protect the park as well. If everyone just respect the rules in general the world be be a little better.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
greenwelltrp on 12:30 pm on April 4, 2002[br]Like I said before, what if a hunter thought your dog was a deer and shot it, would you blame the hunter or the park?

That's easy ~~~ ME!  

Now, perhaps you recommend a riding program in the Hollywood area where my daughter can participate.  She has no fear when it comes to horses.

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Belive me I understand the leash laws in MD thats why I asked if there were any "special" places I could take them that I wouldn't get into trouble.  I know of a deserted beach (which I will keep as a secret) that I can take my dogs in the summer and there is never no one there but its still too cold to do that.  I just need a place where they can play frisbee and run for a few minutes with me there.  Any fenced in large area will do but like I said, I need to have permission to remove the leashes.  

Not looking to break any laws here, and belive me when people are around I keep my dogs on a leash.

On a different note, what you people think of owners whose dogs accidently get out of their yard or house?  Do you think its right to blame the owner if they try and correct the problem or if they didn't know the dog was out in the first place?  

My puppy got out of the yard the other day for about 5 minutes when I turned around and my neighbor went off.  Its not as if he could hurt anything and I was right there to grab him.  Did he over react or was I right to be offended by him?

Dandydog

I like you, you do a good argument :). Thanks for making my boring work day go a little faster.

Is she a beginner? If so I do recommend Greenwell TRP, They don't just work with disabled children. The classes are small usually 2-4 kids, prices are reasonable and you get alot of one-on-one teaching. Their website is www.greenwelltrp.org or contact Kathy Sears at 301-373-9775. Springs class start soon. But there might be room.

Dandydog

It depends, did the puppy hurt anyone or any property. If not than your neighbor is just stupid. I have a horse who is a great escape artist, and my neighbor has a fit everytime he gets out, eventhou he stays in my yards. The neighbor is just uneducated about animals. I mean, all Jester want is the greener grass on the other side of the fence (no pun intend). I have since put up electric fence for Jester pasture, but now she complains of the horse noise. (???) Than why did she move to the country - Go figure.

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Thank you I totally agree. He didn't do anything wrong and he is only a puppy. What harm could he do?  Besides how can I train him not to get loose if I don't let him do it then punish him for it?  Dogs are a lot like people and kids they respond very similarily as we do.

I just wish if people didn't like animals, then they wouldn't move next to someone they know has 3 dogs!!  

Dandydog

Here, Here, jeneisen!!! I mean the woman knew I had horses. I have 96 acres. Not sure you can miss them, they are kinda big! But she bought the house. Those people just are not worth every bothering with. :)

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Thanks Greenie  :)   My daughter is not quite 3, so probably a bit young to start.  She has been on horses and ponies and absolutely loves them.  I would like her to have lessons in the future and didn't realize that the program catered also to general public.  I will look further into it.

I like your story about your horse getting out.  Makes me think of a story my husband told me about a cow they had when he was a boy that would look you straight in the eye and jump right over the fence and take off.

Jen
As for your puppy getting out.  I think your neighbor got his panties in a bunch over nothing.  A puppy is a puppy and that's what they do.  I also agree that is how they are trained too.  They don't just learn all by themselves - jeez - none of us do, that would make life boring!

I am lucky that on the very rare occassions my dog got off her chain, she was sleeping on the porch waiting for me or my husband to get home.  She stays in the yard and doesn't wander in the road.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Horse noise???  PPPPPPPPaaaaaaaahhhhhhhLLLEEAASEEEE!!!  ROTFL!!  Your neighbor just needs to get over it and stop acting like a baby :baby:, haha!

Dandydog

Redrose, we start disable children at 3 years old, but abled bodies start when they are 7. But you are more than welcome to come to the barn and show her the horses. The program horses are on the right when you drive into the park. Horses on the left are not ours. Or stop by the barn when lesson start. I think they start April 15th.  Saturday are the best.

Laureng: Thanks :)

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Thanks for the invite.   We have been there several times.  On nice days  after day care, I will take her there to see them or to the park to play.

Back to previous topic....  what exactly is "horse noise" ?  Is it as annoying as say, a leaf blower????  :lmao:

Dandydog

All it is - ok ready for this - is the horse nicker together or just making horse noise. When I got my new horse, they have a horse scream match to show the the new horse, who is in charge, or if I go off riding one horse and other wants to come, he cries out. She once called the police on me and  when he arrived, he could not stop laugh. He told the woman, if she ever called again, he would arrest her for wasting his time. God help them!!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
:roflmao:  She has WAAAAYYYYY to much time on her hands!!!  :roflmao:

I know well the sounds and things horses do.  I myself have ridden since I was a small child, as well as, worked at a stable in my teen years mucking stalls for 75 rentals horses.  
:barf:  on those rainy days.....

Dandydog

Hey Greenwell is always looking for volunteers for the barn or program!!!
And I am serious, we don't have 75, only 7 horses!!! But we have fun!!!
That is if you miss the smell :) I have heard we have the cleanest barn in the county!!!!