Jewitt AYE Hoyer Naye

onebmf

Based on responses from an earlier thread I almost have to laugh at people thinking just because Hoyer is the MINORITY whip he some how has power to do good, in a Repub held Governorship, and House, and Senate, and Presedency. LOL

Reducing the Tax Burden
The True Formula for Job Creation

By Brad Jewitt

Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry has recently revealed his economic plan, which he proudly claims will create ten million jobs in the United States. What Mr. Kerry doesn’t mention so readily, however, is that his campaign trail promises have already been estimated to cost the American taxpayer $1.9 trillion over just ten years.

As a taxpayer, this concerns me. And as the newly elected Republican nominee for Maryland’s Fifth Congressional District, I strongly support President Bush’s proposals to alleviate the tax burden on our working families and small businesses.

My opponent, Rep. Steny H. Hoyer, does not share one of my most ardent beliefs, which is to put tax dollars where they belong -- back into the hands of hardworking Americans.

Indeed, Mr. Hoyer voted against the permanent repeal of the estate tax (otherwise understood as the “death tax”); and after the House of Representatives voted overwhelmingly to end forever the marriage tax (pejoratively known as the “marriage penalty”), Steny Hoyer actually said that the bill was part of a “fiscal irresponsibility rampage.”

I don’t know about you, but I think Americans are taxed enough while they’re alive; we certainly don’t need to pay our respects by taxing them one last time on the occasion of their death. Moreover, our country needs strong, cohesive family units. At a time when one out of every two marriages ends in divorce, I will fight to encourage marriage, not discourage it by punishing Americans who make the responsible choice to marry.

One of John Kerry’s strategies for creating those ten million jobs is to discourage American corporations from relocating overseas, by repealing the Bush administration’s provision that allows businesses to defer paying taxes on profits generated abroad, as well as the one cutting the corporate tax rate.

Unfortunately, Mr. Kerry is mistaken in believing that the president’s tax breaks encourage our firms to leave our shores. Quite the opposite, it is specifically because American companies are already at a competitive disadvantage due to high corporate tax rates that they often feel compelled to escape our onerous taxation system.

John Kerry maintains that he only wants to tax the “rich,” or those Americans who are in the highest income bracket. But as Club for Growth President Stephen Moore has stated, “The highest tax rate would rise from 35% to 40% [under Kerry]. The problem here is that 2 of every 3 of these people -- the evil rich -- are small and medium sized business owners.” Penalizing the very people who create jobs “is like eating a hot fudge Sundae to lose weight.”

Judging by Steny Hoyer’s previous voting record, I am deeply concerned that he would be all too willing to vote for John Kerry’s misguided budget proposals if the presidency changes hands this November. To be sure, I am equally troubled by the prospect of having Steny Hoyer in office for another term, continuing to vote against fiscal policies that will keep our economy vibrant and our citizens motivated and optimistic, should we be fortunate enough to retain President Bush.

In order to effect meaningful investment, economic growth and job expansion, we need results not rhetoric. We must ease the regulatory and taxation burden placed on our small businesses and make tax cuts permanent.

I represent a new voice and a new energy for Southern Maryland. As your Representative for Maryland’s Fifth District, I will support legislation minimizing the burden on all taxpayers, advocating changes that promote fiscal responsibility, wealth production, and by consequence, true job creation.