Matthew 22:33-40 The Greatest Commandment

hotcoffee

The Greatest Commandment

Matthew 22:34 Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. 35 One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: 36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[c] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[d] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”​

c.Matthew 22:37 Deut. 6:5
d.Matthew 22:39 Lev. 19:18

It seems to me those Sadducees were really beginning to get desperate. After all, Jesus had been teaching for three years and everyone who heard Him were amazed at how much He knew.

Love your neighbor as yourself is a pretty tall order for some people. First you have to love yourself. Can you talk to yourself in the mirror? Give it a shot... I can remember a time when I couldn't do it. Can you think of three good things about your own character. I know plenty of people who have a hard time coming up with just one, let alone three. It's no wonder there are so many unhappy people in the world.

That second commandment is sometimes harder than the first one.

:coffee: