Matthew 25:1-13 Ten Virgins

hotcoffee

The Parable of the Ten Virgins

Matthew 25:1 “At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. 2 Five of them were foolish and five were wise. 3 The foolish ones took their lamps but did not take any oil with them. 4 The wise ones, however, took oil in jars along with their lamps. 5 The bridegroom was a long time in coming, and they all became drowsy and fell asleep.

6 “At midnight the cry rang out: ‘Here’s the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!’

7 “Then all the virgins woke up and trimmed their lamps. 8 The foolish ones said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil; our lamps are going out.’
9 “‘No,’ they replied, ‘there may not be enough for both us and you. Instead, go to those who sell oil and buy some for yourselves.’

10 “But while they were on their way to buy the oil, the bridegroom arrived. The virgins who were ready went in with him to the wedding banquet. And the door was shut.

11 “Later the others also came. ‘Lord, Lord,’ they said, ‘open the door for us!’

12 “But he replied, ‘Truly I tell you, I don’t know you.’

13 “Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour.​

In those days, it was really important not to insult the wedding party.

Recently we all had conversations about the impending date of December 21st 2012. Some of us were certain that Jesus would take us away that day. I don't know how many made their lives right with the Lord just so they wouldn't be left behind on that day. Then when He didn't come that day.... they went back to their normal activities.

Some believe that He's going to come one day but they have time to "make themselves right" before accepting Him.

Others continue to pray, study, and stay ready for Him [like having an extra jar of oil for their lamps] so that when He does come they'll be ready.

Most of the commentaries say that the reason those virgins were turned away had nothing to do with the fact they fell asleep with the lamp lit, or because the door was closed.... it was because the groom [Jesus] didn't know them.

Where do you fall in the parable?

:coffee:

foodcritic

The Parable of the Ten Virgins

Matthew 25:1 “At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. 2 Five of them were foolish and five were wise. 3 The foolish ones took their lamps but did not take any oil with them. 4 The wise ones, however, took oil in jars along with their lamps. 5 The bridegroom was a long time in coming, and they all became drowsy and fell asleep.

6 “At midnight the cry rang out: ‘Here’s the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!’

7 “Then all the virgins woke up and trimmed their lamps. 8 The foolish ones said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil; our lamps are going out.’
9 “‘No,’ they replied, ‘there may not be enough for both us and you. Instead, go to those who sell oil and buy some for yourselves.’

10 “But while they were on their way to buy the oil, the bridegroom arrived. The virgins who were ready went in with him to the wedding banquet. And the door was shut.

11 “Later the others also came. ‘Lord, Lord,’ they said, ‘open the door for us!’

12 “But he replied, ‘Truly I tell you, I don’t know you.’

13 “Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour.​

In those days, it was really important not to insult the wedding party.

Recently we all had conversations about the impending date of December 21st 2012. Some of us were certain that Jesus would take us away that day. I don't know how many made their lives right with the Lord just so they wouldn't be left behind on that day. Then when He didn't come that day.... they went back to their normal activities.

Some believe that He's going to come one day but they have time to "make themselves right" before accepting Him.

Others continue to pray, study, and stay ready for Him [like having an extra jar of oil for their lamps] so that when He does come they'll be ready.

Most of the commentaries say that the reason those virgins were turned away had nothing to do with the fact they fell asleep with the lamp lit, or because the door was closed.... it was because the groom [Jesus] didn't know them.

Where do you fall in the parable?

:coffee:

While no man will no the day or hour. I believe we will see the signs.

2 Thessalonians 2

New International Version (NIV)
The Man of Lawlessness

2 Concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered to him, we ask you, brothers and sisters, 2 not to become easily unsettled or alarmed by the teaching allegedly from us—whether by a prophecy or by word of mouth or by letter—asserting that the day of the Lord has already come. 3 Don’t let anyone deceive you in any way, for that day will not come until the rebellion occurs and the man of lawlessness[a] is revealed, the man doomed to destruction. 4 He will oppose and will exalt himself over everything that is called God or is worshiped, so that he sets himself up in God’s temple, proclaiming himself to be God.

5 Don’t you remember that when I was with you I used to tell you these things? 6 And now you know what is holding him back, so that he may be revealed at the proper time. 7 For the secret power of lawlessness is already at work; but the one who now holds it back will continue to do so till he is taken out of the way. 8 And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will overthrow with the breath of his mouth and destroy by the splendor of his coming. 9 The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with how Satan works. He will use all sorts of displays of power through signs and wonders that serve the lie, 10 and all the ways that wickedness deceives those who are perishing. They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. 11 For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie 12 and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness.