NY State Got It!

N.Y. saltwater fishing license fees will be eliminated for good under 2013 state budget deal

Wayne Rambo, president of the East End Surf Fishing Club, said Tuesday the purpose of the fee was never clear to some local fishermen.

"We often wondered what they were trying to accomplish with the license fee," Rambo said. "Did they want more money or did they just want a registry of fishermen? If they were going to take the money and use it to actively patrol the beaches and make sure people are fishing with a license that would be one thing, but they never do enforce it."

Someone finally got smart.

First time I went done to the Outer Banks NC I asked the guys in the bait and tackle shop about a license to fish off the beach. They kind of looked at me like I had three eyes and said "NC doesn't control the ocean, you don't need no steenking license! :lol: ". Well ok they didn't say the steenking part , but that would have been funny. Six years later, guess what? Surf fishing license required.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Freshwater fishermen have been a revenue stream for decades. It's always been a pay to play situation. Someone just saw the saltwater anglers as another way to increase the coffers.

Pretty soon you may have to get your bicycle registered or have to pay to hike the Appalachian trail, the way things are going. A dollar here & a dollar there adds up quickly.

It wasn't so much the fee that they were complaining about, but rather the 'fee' wasn't being put to use in the intended way and was really a 'tax'. Someone had the nerve to stand up and get it repealed.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I paid $70.50 for Bay & coastal fishing boat and non-tidal fishing (fresh water).
F*ck you Maryland! :mad: