Ah, this is how you raise the minimum wage

RPMDAD

Have to wonder if any of these legislatures are Dems??

Taxpayers to subsidize NY's higher minimum wage

A hike in New York's minimum wage is a big win for Democrats, but a provision buried inside the tentative state budget shows taxpayers will be paying much of the bill.

The "minimum wage reimbursement credit" is spelled out at the bottom of a revenue bill in the budget separate from the minimum wage measure. The credit would reimburse employers for part of the difference in wages from the current $7.25 minimum wage as it rises to $9 an hour by 2016.

Once it reaches $9 an hour, employers would pay 40 cents and taxpayers $1.35 of the extra $1.75 an hour workers are paid.

The cost of the measure approved in closed-door negotiations between Gov. Andrew Cuomo and legislative leaders won't be known publicly until after the budget gets final legislative approval, which is expected by the end of this week. Early estimates are between $20 million and $40 million, with no cap on the total.

Chris0nllyn

Good ole' New York.

An example of what states shouldn't do.

It's only a matter of time before they say they don't bring in enough revenue to cover this....leading to more taxes....on something.

bcp

In My Opinion
Good ole' New York.

An example of what states shouldn't do.

It's only a matter of time before they say they don't bring in enough revenue to cover this....leading to more taxes....on something.

Are you sure you arent talking about OweMalley?

bcp

In My Opinion
MD isn't that bad, yet.

When you consider that the taxes are constantly being raised because of about a 1.6 billion budget shortfall, and you consider that according to various sources, the upkeep of illegals in the state cost anywhere from 1.2 to 1.4 billion, I would say there is little difference between paying the minimum wage difference and paying for the illegals.

But, if you think about this, at least those making the minimum wage should be legal, and they are working, so we can say that there is at least some tangible value to their being assisted.

just cant say the same for the illegals.

Chris0nllyn

When you consider that the taxes are constantly being raised because of about a 1.6 billion budget shortfall, and you consider that according to various sources, the upkeep of illegals in the state cost anywhere from 1.2 to 1.4 billion, I would say there is little difference between paying the minimum wage difference and paying for the illegals.

But, if you think about this, at least those making the minimum wage should be legal, and they are working, so we can say that there is at least some tangible value to their being assisted.

just cant say the same for the illegals.

Yes, our taxes are going through the roof.

Yes, this state caters to illegals.

But, this state isn't trying to require anyone to drink smaller sodas. Or allowing police to stop and frisk you for no reason.

There aren't many differences, but they are pretty big differences when it comes to personal liberty.

bcp

In My Opinion
Yes, our taxes are going through the roof.

Yes, this state caters to illegals.

But, this state isn't trying to require anyone to drink smaller sodas. Or allowing police to stop and frisk you for no reason.

There aren't many differences, but they are pretty big differences when it comes to personal liberty.

http://www.fairus.org/DocServer/MarylandCost_rev4.pdf

If you have the time this is an interesting PDF that outlines the costs of just education of illegals in the state of maryland. By itself, the illegals are costing over 1 billion in just education alone. Now ad the public assistance, and medical, and judiciary, not to mention money spent lobbying for and or against them, the numbers quickly add up.

If we got rid of them today, by next year at this time we could roll back almost all of owemalleys 37 tax and fee increases and have a surplus in the budget.

Just saying.
For all we spend on them, we really get nothing in return. if minimum wage is offset by the taxpayer, at least we know we are helping a entry level worker gain experience to move to the tax paying end of things instead of the tax burden end that they start at.

Chris0nllyn

http://www.fairus.org/DocServer/MarylandCost_rev4.pdf

If you have the time this is an interesting PDF that outlines the costs of just education of illegals in the state of maryland. By itself, the illegals are costing over 1 billion in just education alone. Now ad the public assistance, and medical, and judiciary, not to mention money spent lobbying for and or against them, the numbers quickly add up.

If we got rid of them today, by next year at this time we could roll back almost all of owemalleys 37 tax and fee increases and have a surplus in the budget.

Just saying.
For all we spend on them, we really get nothing in return. if minimum wage is offset by the taxpayer, at least we know we are helping a entry level worker gain experience to move to the tax paying end of things instead of the tax burden end that they start at.

I'm with you.

Though, our solutions are probably a bit different.

Many people want armed guards, fencing, cameras, etc. along the border.

I say we open the mother ####er up. Give newcomers ONE chance. you get a SSN, and become a tax-paying, productive member of society. You contribute to the system like everyone else, and you get treated like everyone else.

bcp

In My Opinion
I'm with you.

Though, our solutions are probably a bit different.

Many people want armed guards, fencing, cameras, etc. along the border.

I say we open the mother ####er up. Give newcomers ONE chance. you get a SSN, and become a tax-paying, productive member of society. You contribute to the system like everyone else, and you get treated like everyone else.

With the unemployment rates what the are in the country now, that is a losing proposition.
now if we were at a point where there were not enough workers, then yes that might work. However, with a 7% unemployment, the chances are most likely that these border jumpers are going to end up costing us in social services.
I say shut downt the border, make it illegal to employ anyone that is illegally here, drop all benefits to them and they will self deport.
once they leave, then the country can start rebuilding and catching up financially.
We have had a totally open border now for 12 years, its not worked, it has proven to work opposite than what you suggest.

Chris0nllyn

With the unemployment rates what the are in the country now, that is a losing proposition.
now if we were at a point where there were not enough workers, then yes that might work. However, with a 7% unemployment, the chances are most likely that these border jumpers are going to end up costing us in social services.
I say shut downt the border, make it illegal to employ anyone that is illegally here, drop all benefits to them and they will self deport.
once they leave, then the country can start rebuilding and catching up financially.
We have had a totally open border now for 12 years, its not worked, it has proven to work opposite than what you suggest.

Our unemployment can't be associated to only illegal immigrants.

The business climate in America just isn't that great. We are greedy. We have unions that want more, of everything. We have taxes out the wazoo, the list goes on.

We have not had the open border I'm talking about.

The only way we can keep track of immigrants, is to actually know who is in the country. We do that by giving them SSNs. With that comes paying taxes. Obviously, they should pass a background check, go through the necessary steps, and be subject to a "one-strike, and you're out" rule.

bcp

In My Opinion
Our unemployment can't be associated to only illegal immigrants.

The business climate in America just isn't that great. We are greedy. We have unions that want more, of everything. We have taxes out the wazoo, the list goes on.

We have not had the open border I'm talking about.

The only way we can keep track of immigrants, is to actually know who is in the country. We do that by giving them SSNs. With that comes paying taxes. Obviously, they should pass a background check, go through the necessary steps, and be subject to a "one-strike, and you're out" rule.
So what you are saying is, you want them, from their own country, to apply to come to the U.S. Then a background check is made, we see if there are places for them to work, and if everything checks out, we give them a temporary work card so they can legally come and work until such a time as they take a citizen test, and give an oath to this country, denounce their own country and then we let them be citizens?

Sorta like it would work if current laws were followed?

Because I know you could not be saying to just open the border and had a gift basket as they come across.. thats what we are currently doing, and the big winners end up in Maryland where the taxpayer gives them an all expense paid life.

Chris0nllyn

So what you are saying is, you want them, from their own country, to apply to come to the U.S. Then a background check is made, we see if there are places for them to work, and if everything checks out, we give them a temporary work card so they can legally come and work until such a time as they take a citizen test, and give an oath to this country, denounce their own country and then we let them be citizens?

Sorta like it would work if current laws were followed?

Because I know you could not be saying to just open the border and had a gift basket as they come across.. thats what we are currently doing, and the big winners end up in Maryland where the taxpayer gives them an all expense paid life.

Sort of....minus the last part. I'm not saying that part of it at all.

It's not about being a citizen. Two ifferent things. I'm talking about, basically, a glorified work visa where they pay taxes, but don't feel like they need to hide from the law. The current system has flaws, that we can all agree on.

I just think REAL border protection is knowing who is coming into the country, and why.

Obviously, I'm not advocating getting rid of border checkpoints (one's that are actually on the border), but couple this system with the decriminilzation of marijuana and we significantly reduce 2 major issues in this country. The "drug war", and illegal immigration.

Last edited:

bcp

In My Opinion
Sort of....minus the last part. I'm not saying that part of it at all.

It's not about being a citizen. Two ifferent things. I'm talking about, basically, a glorified work visa where they pay taxes, but don't feel like they need to hide from the law. The current system has flaws, that we can all agree on.

I just think REAL border protection is knowing who is coming into the country, and why.

Obviously, I'm not advocating getting rid of border checkpoints (one's that are actually on the border), but couple this system with the decriminilzation of marijuana and we significantly reduce 2 major issues in this country. The "drug war", and illegal immigration.
If we make it legal to kill each other we can get murder of that crime list too.

I stand by the opinion that they need to be moved back out of this country, either on their own power, or with as much force as needed. Ive seen where they have overtaken Annapolis, they are filthy animals.

Chris0nllyn

If we make it legal to kill each other we can get murder of that crime list too.

I stand by the opinion that they need to be moved back out of this country, either on their own power, or with as much force as needed. Ive seen where they have overtaken Annapolis, they are filthy animals.

Murder tends to infringe on one's LIFE, Liberty, and Pursuit of happiness, no?

You can stand by your opinion...doesn't bother me.

I stand by my opinion that if the Indians did the same thing you suggest, we wouldn't be here right now...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Have to wonder if any of these legislatures are Dems??

A hike in New York's minimum wage is a big win for Democrats, but a provision buried inside the tentative state budget shows taxpayers will be paying much of the bill.

The "minimum wage reimbursement credit" is spelled out at the bottom of a revenue bill in the budget separate from the minimum wage measure. The credit would reimburse employers for part of the difference in wages from the current $7.25 minimum wage as it rises to $9 an hour by 2016.

Once it reaches $9 an hour, employers would pay 40 cents and taxpayers $1.35 of the extra $1.75 an hour workers are paid.

The cost of the measure approved in closed-door negotiations between Gov. Andrew Cuomo and legislative leaders won't be known publicly until after the budget gets final legislative approval, which is expected by the end of this week. Early estimates are between $20 million and $40 million, with no cap on the total.
]

That's a good idea and one I have long been in favor of. If we, the people, through our elected representatives, think I should be paying at least $9 an hour, great. I will pay what I decide is appropriate for my business and then let the employee take his pay stub to the 'Extra Dough' office and get the difference there. He is motivated to work and do a good job, I'm still free to do what is best for my business and everyone who thinks X should be Y can simply pay for it.

As it is, we all pay for minimum wage anyway, one way or another.

I do not like ANY increase of paperwork on employers so, that part is horrible and MUST be changed to a system where it is the employee's problem but, other than that, it is an example of a decent idea making a dumb idea a little better.

:buddies: