Airline to charge passengers by body weight

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
"Some airlines are beginning to charge obese customers for extra seats, but Samoa Air appears to be the first to adopt a "pay as you weigh" pricing plan.

The airline's price-per-kilogram will vary depending on the flight, from as little as $1 per kilogram to as much as $4.16, reports the Sydney Morning Herald."

Airline to charge passengers by body weight

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
So are the larger folks going to be allotted a larger seating area? Makes sense that if you pay more, with the idea being you have a larger mass, you would also get a larger piece of real estate to stretch out in.

I flew once to Europe on a place that was mostly empty. I had a row of 5 seats to myself. I laid down and put the middle seatbelt around my waist. Best 7 hours of sleep I ever got on a plane. I'd pay more to be able to do that again.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
So are the larger folks going to be allotted a larger seating area? Makes sense that if you pay more, with the idea being you have a larger mass, you would also get a larger piece of real estate to stretch out in.

I flew once to Europe on a place that was mostly empty. I had a row of 5 seats to myself. I laid down and put the middle seatbelt around my waist. Best 7 hours of sleep I ever got on a plane. I'd pay more to be able to do that again.

They could say 1 seat is for up to 230 lbs and past that you have to pay for 2 seats up to ? (name a limit), after which you'd have to pay for 3 seats?

If we paid by the pound I'd get a good deal <G>.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
So, if you are a child, or a particularly small adult, do you get a discount for being below a certain weight?

Actually, I am all for the "pay as you weigh" proposal. It costs more in fuel to get your heavy ass off of the ground; it's about time the airline charges more to heavy people.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Buffet’s should do this.

nah we should just pay for what we eat - that way I wouldn't be paying the full price ... I never eat more than 1 plate of food. It's a waste for me to eat at a buffet unless it's just for the sheer volume of choices ...
I recall when we used to go to Chesapeake Bay Seafood Restaurant and get the all-you-can-eat Alaskan crab legs for $24.99, I'd eat all of maybe 1 to 2 pounds of legs and be full. I could have bought that much at the grocery store for less money LOL

ylexot

Super Genius
It's an interesting concept. However, I think they would be smart to have different rates for the traveler/carry-on luggage and checked luggage. Make the checked luggage rate cheaper and more people will check luggage. More checked luggage turns into faster loading and unloading times which turns into faster turn-around times.

Graymatter

They could say 1 seat is for up to 230 lbs and past that you have to pay for 2 seats up to ? (name a limit), after which you'd have to pay for 3 seats?

If we paid by the pound I'd get a good deal <G>.

The government buys two seats for our larger federal employees IAW the JTR. Size + length of flight = 2 seats.

ylexot

Super Genius
So, if you are a child, or a particularly small adult, do you get a discount for being below a certain weight?

It's not a base price plus an add-on price based on weight. It's just based on weight. So if the rate is $1/kg and you have a baby who weighs 20 kg, it's only $20 for the baby to fly. If you and your luggage weighs 2000 kg, your ticket is $2000.