New traffic light?

I heard a rumor that the previously denied light at Rte. 4 and Wildwood has now been approved. Anyone know for certain?

itsrequired

His argument for not having the traffic light could be used for numerous traffic lights in the county. I don't see why this one is any more important. The traffic light at 235 and airport view for instance. I'm sure there are just as many people traveling from airport view as there are out of Wildewood, and even more vehicles than there are on route four.

Isn't the idea of a traffic signal to make the road safer? how could the light not do that? As far as congestion, that makes no sense. Where is there more congestion? When a traffic signal is timed or when an accident is blocking the road way.

JosephIV

We need a 4 way light and "intersection" in the area of Wawa/CVS/Dick's Sporting Goods shopping center on 235.

You leave CVS and can't head North without making a U-turn. Leave Wawa and you have to get in the turn lane for CVS then make a U-turn to head South. We got a light on route 4 before the bridge for what reason?

DEEKAYPEE8569

Traffic Will Bottleneck During Rush Hour

It's bad enough in the morning as it is. Traffic coming from Route 5, up 4 to 235 and vice versa.

We need a 4 way light and "intersection" in the area of Wawa/CVS/Dick's Sporting Goods shopping center on 235.

You leave CVS and can't head North without making a U-turn. Leave Wawa and you have to get in the turn lane for CVS then make a U-turn to head South. We got a light on route 4 before the bridge for what reason?

Big deal. I do that quite often and do not feel inconvenienced at all.

Vince

SoMdNews.com: Wildewood traffic light for convenience of few at expense of many
It would be interesting to know who has the clout to convince the Maryland Department of Transportation to reverse its previous decision that a traffic light was not warranted at that intersection.
advertisement
The Maryland State Highway Administration has approved a traffic light at the intersection of St. Andrew’s Church Road and Wildewood Parkway, Del. John Bohanan (D-St. Mary’s) told the St. Mary’s County commissioners Wednesday.
Guess Bohanan had the clout to do it and it doesn't matter to him whether it's necessary. He's proved that time and again with the way he votes on other issues for Md. Vote all these people out of office next time around.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Ok, having lived where you would be likely to be wanting to make a left onto Rte. 4 from Wildewood. Do you think you would have liked this idea?

I did live there for 4 years. Depending on the time of day and where I was going would depend on which intersection I would use. It wasn't an inconvenience to me, at all.

warneckutz

I did live there for 4 years. Depending on the time of day and where I was going would depend on which intersection I would use. It wasn't an inconvenience to me, at all.

Yeah, certain times of the day that intersection just isn't worth wasting the time on.

The used car lot is well-placed though... :eyebrow:

Total your car in the intersection and stumble over to the lot to grab a Honda with 200k miles on it along with some custom rims.

Everyone wins.

Yeah, certain times of the day that intersection just isn't worth wasting the time on.

The used car lot is well-placed though... :eyebrow:

Total your car in the intersection and stumble over to the lot to grab a Honda with 200k miles on it along with some custom rims.

Everyone wins.

I have seen two accidents at that intersection. I was directly behind the car involved in one. A fairly old guy just started to make a left turn even though that car was coming right to the intesection.

warneckutz

I have seen two accidents at that intersection. I was directly behind the car involved in one. A fairly old guy just started to make a left turn even though that car was coming right to the intesection.

I've seen a LOT of near-misses there.

MMM_donuts

While I don't think the stoplight fits in well with area between it and the intersection, I think it benefits more than just residents of Wildewood. It will affect the commute of everyone that utilizes that part of Rt 4. The accidents at that intersection impedes the travel of everyone trying to get through there to Leonardtown.

This town is so reactionary when it comes to traffic. It contributes to the road rage that many of us complain about. It would be nice if someone had put some real thought and engineering into it. God forbid there ever be a real emergency where we all have to evacuate quickly - tens of thousands of cars utilizing 2 or 3 main roads that have high medians, stop lights every few hundred yards, and that discourages left turns.

bilbur

I live in Wildewood close to the RT 4 intersection and I think they would be better off creating an acceleration lane and letting people turn right on to RT 4 and since they have a passing lane already let people turn left from RT 4 to Wildewood. I would be OK with everything else blocked off. It would be quicker for me to use that intersection to make a left onto 4 but I choose not to because of safety concerns and it does not take much longer to use the 235 intersection. If they closed the RT 4 access down completely I would be OK with that to.

Why would you feel inconvenienced? It's your only option, you have zero choice but to deal with it every day so that's what you do.

Ok, in other words in don't care if they put a different type of intersection there or not. A u turn at a light is no different than a left turn to me. Clearer?

MMDad

Lem Putt
When a traffic signal is timed or when an accident is blocking the road way.

The light will result in fewer serious accidents, but more accidents overall. No net time savings. When is the last time you saw well timed lights in SMC? They don't do it.

I don't see any real solution for that intersection other than a light, but on 235 it needs to stop. One of the goals of the widening project was to reduce the number of lights and access points. Yet they keep adding more.

Airport View shouldn't have a light, it should be closed. We need fewer crossovers, not more. There is no valid reason to have a light at Exploration and at Expedition. Chain Restaurant row should not have so many driveways onto 235 - Abell House should be exteneded to provide access.

slseaweed

I live in Wildewood close to the RT 4 intersection and I think they would be better off creating an acceleration lane and letting people turn right on to RT 4 and since they have a passing lane already let people turn left from RT 4 to Wildewood. I would be OK with everything else blocked off. It would be quicker for me to use that intersection to make a left onto 4 but I choose not to because of safety concerns and it does not take much longer to use the 235 intersection. If they closed the RT 4 access down completely I would be OK with that to.

Create an acceleration lane? Don't people drive fast enough on St. Andrew's Church Road?

I'm all for the traffic light. I live in Wildewood and without a light that intersection is almost completely useless unless you are exiting late at night or simply making a right hand turn towards L'town. And maybe having a traffic light on that road will help to SLOW down the idiot drivers. Just about a month ago, I witnessed and was almost involved in an accident on that road. Even though I was able to avoid the accident itself, the speeding idiots trying to 'get by' and around all the car parts and vehicles in the road almost created another accident. And the ignorant people honking and cussing at me to get out of there way while I was crossing the road to check on the involved vehicles was absurd. Soooo....the traffic light will not only make that Wildewood exit actually usable, but if it helps to slow the idiots down just a bit than it's a god send.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Create an acceleration lane? Don't people drive fast enough on St. Andrew's Church Road?

I'm all for the traffic light. I live in Wildewood and without a light that intersection is almost completely useless unless you are exiting late at night or simply making a right hand turn towards L'town. And maybe having a traffic light on that road will help to SLOW down the idiot drivers. Just about a month ago, I witnessed and was almost involved in an accident on that road. Even though I was able to avoid the accident itself, the speeding idiots trying to 'get by' and around all the car parts and vehicles in the road almost created another accident. And the ignorant people honking and cussing at me to get out of there way while I was crossing the road to check on the involved vehicles was absurd. Soooo....the traffic light will not only make that Wildewood exit actually usable, but if it helps to slow the idiots down just a bit than it's a god send.

:coffee: