NAS Patuxent River cancels Air Expo 2013

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
NAS Patuxent River cancels Air Expo 2013

NAVAL AIR STATION PATUXENT RIVER, Md. – The Naval Air Station Patuxent River Air Expo has highlighted the partnership between our Navy team and the community, a partnership that has thrived here in Southern Maryland for the past 70 years. It is with regret that we must cancel the 2013 air show and celebration, scheduled for Aug. 31-Sept. 1, due to continuing budget challenges.

This decision was made after the commander of Naval Air Forces announced today that the remaining Blue Angels’ 2013 performances have been canceled because of fiscal cuts. The elite Blue Angels team were scheduled to appear as the Pax River air show's headliner.

We value the continued support of our community and its patriotism, but in light of the current budget challenges we must make difficult decisions to make best use of limited resources.

Although the 2013 Air Expo will not take place, we will continue looking for ways to produce an exciting show in the years to come. We are also working with our community partners to celebrate Pax River's 70 years by participating in events around town this summer.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
It's sad, but honestly when I have to beg and plead to get a ream of paper for my printer at work, spend my own money on other office supplies, and am looking at possible time home due to budget cuts, I'd be kind of pissed if they went forward with the air show.

sockgirl77

It's sad, but honestly when I have to beg and plead to get a ream of paper for my printer at work, spend my own money on other office supplies, and am looking at possible time home due to budget cuts, I'd be kind of pissed if they went forward with the air show.

That's how I feel.

abcxyz

Another nail in the coffin of the small businesses that count on this for income. Thank you President Obama!!

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
You all just don't understand.. Air Force One needs the fuel so the First Family can go on another vacation.. Why put it in those silly Blue Angels?

RPMDAD

Why do I expect to hear even more announcements like this? :coffee:

IMHO the one flyover that they should not cancel in any way shape or form is the flyover for this years Graduating class of the Naval Academy, IMHO that would be a slap in the face. Those dudes and dudettes have busted their a$$es and to me that is just a salute from their Military family, same goes for the Air Force Academy graduation. If the public happens to accidently see it while it is going on so be it.

cheezgrits

Thought pirate

You've got paper?!?!?!? What building do you work in? :whistle:

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Another nail in the coffin of the small businesses that count on this for income. Thank you President Obama!!
Maybe you didn't get the memo, but the U.S.A is broke! Trillions of dollars in debt that will be paid back only by inflating the money pool such that you and I will be paying $20/lb for ground beef and $10/gal for gas by the end of the decade.

As far as these small businesses, this is one of the problems that we have. How about some businesses that create products that don't require the taxpayers to buy them.

nomoney

This wasn't a surprise , I remember reading this in pre-sequester info. A least the part about the blue angles being cancelled.

mamatutu

mama to two
Ah the hypocrisy and contradictions of the Republican party, gotta love it. In one breath you scream about fiscal responsibility while in the other you scream, "where's my air show Obama?" Conservatism would be hilarious if it wasn't so downright scary.

Are you ok?

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
No one is screaming "where's my airshow". People are merely lamenting as another longheld tradition succumbs to the fianancial pillaging of this administration. Yeah, I'd rather not see the Blue Angels than see friends lose income.

But, go Obama - have that rap concert in tbe White House.

acommondisaster

I've worked at an agency where I've had to bring my own pens and paper. But end of the year, they're buying flatscreens and toys. It's not that they don't have the money - it's their priorities.

acommondisaster

Air shows are good for the local economy and they're good recruiting tools (I guess that reason enough to defund them). Here's some of the stuff you're getting instead: (see if this makes you feel better about not having paper)

From Senator Coburn's Wastebook:

■$325,000 for an effort to build a lifelike Robo-Squirrel
■$27 million for a project that included pottery classes for Moroccan artists translated by someone who was not fluent in English - and using materials that cannot be purchased in Morocco.
■Almost $50,000 for Smokey the Bear hot-air balloon appearances.
■$505,000 in block grants for a pet shampoo and toothpaste company.
■$520,000 for an Ohio bridge that doesn't connect to a road or trail.
■$40,000 for a video game based on Thoreau's writings at Walden Pond.
■More than $540,000 for a dancing robot that DJs smartphones.
■Nearly $68,000 for a "Students Against Trash" poster campaign.
■$97,000 for a floating outhouse on an Oregon lake.
■$6.9 million for research into making rubber-free tires from natural materials.
■$35,000 for a book vending machine.