Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 435

Thread: Solomons Bridge Jumper

  1. #31
    Registered User RPMDAD's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cal. Co. Huntingtown
    Posts
    7,215
    Quote Originally Posted by thurley42 View Post
    I feel compassion for everyone who had to wait in traffic.
    I also feel compassion for the jumper and his family. he or she did have a Mother and Father who are going to go through hell.
    Walk through the fire Fly through the smoke

  2. #32
    Registered User edinsomd's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2006
    Location
    callaway
    Posts
    4,519
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherhm View Post
    I rarely bother commenting on ignorant posts, but I have to say that I am utterly disgusted by some of the comments in this thread. Instead of cracking jokes and/or complaining about the traffic that's occurred as a result of this person's desperation, why not try practicing some compassion?

    No matter what your views are on suicide and whether or not it's "selfish," that poor victim clearly felt there was no other way out and was in a place much darker than many of us have probably ever felt. Not only was the victim clearly in pain, but now his family and friends are going to hear the news and their lives will be changed forever as well.

    I have grown up in SoMD and typically enjoy living and working here, but I have to say that I have never been more embarrassed or ashamed of where I'm from than I was while reading some of the posts in this thread.

    My thoughts and prayers are with the victim's friends and family and with all of those who felt the need to make cruel comments regarding this tragedy.
    Look up "Gallows Humor" in your Funk & Wagnalls, sweetie. I'm just happy the meltdown checked out alone, and didn't take any innocents along for the ride.
    Which part of "...shall not be infringed." do you not understand?

  3. #33
    Registered User teacherhm's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SoMD
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by edinsomd View Post
    Look up "Gallows Humor" in your Funk & Wagnalls, sweetie. I'm just happy the meltdown checked out alone, and didn't take any innocents along for the ride.
    "Gallow's Humor" and "considerate" are two very different things. Nevertheless, I'd argue "Gallow's Humor" and "completely unnecessary" are two of the same, "sweetie."

  4. #34
    Board Mommy vraiblonde's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Off the grid
    Posts
    117,841
    Blog Entries
    2
    This:
    Quote Originally Posted by thurley42 View Post
    I feel compassion for everyone who had to wait in traffic.
    And this:
    Quote Originally Posted by aps45819 View Post
    ... and that's why it's hard to feel compassion for someone who needs a massive audience to demonstrate their desperation
    I feel nothing but disdain for the jumper - he's an ass in pretty much every way - but I do feel sympathy for any family members he might have had. Hopefully he's not leaving a wife and some kids high and dry.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

  5. #35
    Board Mommy vraiblonde's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Off the grid
    Posts
    117,841
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherhm View Post
    "Gallow's Humor" and "considerate" are two very different things. Nevertheless, I'd argue "Gallow's Humor" and "completely unnecessary" are two of the same, "sweetie."
    Who is more inconsiderate:

    The guy who jumped off the bridge, tying up traffic for god knows how long, and devastating his family;

    or the people who are criticizing that highly inconsiderate act?
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

  6. #36
    Registered User teacherhm's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SoMD
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    Who is more inconsiderate:

    The guy who jumped off the bridge, tying up traffic for god knows how long, and devastating his family;

    or the people who are criticizing that highly inconsiderate act?
    It's not a competition- both are inconsiderate. However, in my opinion, taking your life (no matter how one chooses to do so) solicits more sensitivity than people making cruel comments on a forum.

  7. #37
    Board Mommy vraiblonde's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Off the grid
    Posts
    117,841
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherhm View Post
    It's not a competition- both are inconsiderate. However, in my opinion, taking your life (no matter how one chooses to do so) solicits more sensitivity than people making cruel comments on a forum.
    I disagree. He wanted his suicide to be highly public, and it is.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherhm View Post
    I rarely bother commenting on ignorant posts, but I have to say that I am utterly disgusted by some of the comments in this thread. Instead of cracking jokes and/or complaining about the traffic that's occurred as a result of this person's desperation, why not try practicing some compassion?

    No matter what your views are on suicide and whether or not it's "selfish," that poor victim clearly felt there was no other way out and was in a place much darker than many of us have probably ever felt. Not only was the victim clearly in pain, but now his family and friends are going to hear the news and their lives will be changed forever as well.

    I have grown up in SoMD and typically enjoy living and working here, but I have to say that I have never been more embarrassed or ashamed of where I'm from than I was while reading some of the posts in this thread.

    My thoughts and prayers are with the victim's friends and family and with all of those who felt the need to make cruel comments regarding this tragedy.
    Especially if you are the owner of this website...

    I'm sure I will be deleted for this comment.

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by CalvertActiv View Post
    Especially if you are the owner of this website...

    I'm sure I will be deleted for this comment.
    Naw, don't be silly... she doesn't censor you for having an opinion about her.
    Imagine how much better America would be if you would simply don a pair a pants before sitting down at your Playskool My First 'Puter.


    LibertyBeacon

  10. #40
    Tropical Bay_Kat's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Florida's Nature Coast
    Posts
    21,005
    So this guy completely devastates his family, traumatizes some people that actually saw him jump and inconvenienced some drivers. People feel bad for him because he was probably not in his right mind and had issues.

    Say this same guy goes into a school and shoots a bunch of kids and then offs himself. Still feel bad for him? I for one am glad that he didn't take any innocent people with him.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |