Kerry's first Purple Heart

SamSpade

The doctor who treated Kerry for his first Purple Heart has this to say:

"I have a very clear memory of an incident which occurred while I was the Medical Officer at Naval Support Facility, Cam Ranh Bay.
John Kerry was a (jg), the OinC or skipper of a Swift boat, newly arrived in Vietnam. On the night of December 2, he was on patrol north of Cam Ranh, up near Nha Trang area. The next day he came to sick bay, the medical facility, for treatment of a wound that had occurred that night.

The story he told was different from what his crewmen had to say about that night. According to Kerry, they had been engaged in a fire fight, receiving small arms fire from on shore. He said that his injury resulted from this enemy action.

Some of his crew confided that they did not receive any fire from shore, but that Kerry had fired a mortar round at close range to some rocks on shore. The crewman thought that the injury was caused by a fragment ricocheting from that mortar round when it struck the rocks.

That seemed to fit the injury which I treated.

What I saw was a small piece of metal sticking very superficially in the skin of Kerry's arm. The metal fragment measured about 1 cm. in length and was about 2 or 3 mm in diameter. It certainly did not look like a round from a rifle.

I simply removed the piece of metal by lifting it out of the skin with forceps. I doubt that it penetrated more than 3 or 4 mm. It did not require probing to find it, did not require any anesthesia to remove it, and did not require any sutures to close the wound.

The wound was covered with a bandaid.

Not [sic] other injuries were reported and I do not recall that there was any reported damage to the boat."

http://www.nationalreview.com/york/york200405041626.asp

Sparx

Would someone please post the requirements to earn a purple heart? I have to admit ignorance on this. However I don't see the issue since Kerry was there and bush was not.

Pete

Repete
Originally posted by Sparx
Would someone please post the requirements to earn a purple heart? I have to admit ignorance on this. However I don't see the issue since Kerry was there and bush was not.
Bush never touted getting one now did he?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
However I don't see the issue since Kerry was there and bush was not.
I agree. Much better to fake an injury to get a bogus medal - that Kerry's a real man of integrity and character, let me tell ya! :yay:

ylexot

Super Genius
Here's the web site.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What I think is funny is that Kerry went to the doctor to have, basically, a splinter removed.

:lmao: :killingme :lmao:

ylexot

Super Genius
Originally posted by vraiblonde
What I think is funny is that Kerry went to the doctor to have, basically, a splinter removed.

:lmao: :killingme :lmao:
There had to be medical documentation for consideration for the Purple Heart.

But yeah, :roflmao: :lmao:

SamSpade

My beef with it is, he knew the three Purple Hearts and you get a free trip home deal.

He didn't want to go, and he tried to appeal to the draft board to defer his draft status so he could study in Paris for a year. They didn't buy it. So he chose the Navy - a generally safe tour if you're going to fight in a land war. He spent a good deal of it state-side as a desk jockey or on a frigate far from combat. He then gets assigned to the swift boats, and got what amounts to a bandaid wound in a "fire-fight" that in all probability was just him doing target practice - but he scores a *Purple Heart* for it.

He then cashes in on two more injuries, gets out early, and joins a pro-Hanoi protest group. He picks up some medals in a pawn shop, keeping his OWN medals, and tosses them over the fence on the White House Lawn.

Yeah, he was a real hero.

ylexot

Super Genius
I read nothing in that that would keep him from getting the medal.
Need to learn to read a little better...
Originally posted by SamSpade
Some of his crew confided that they did not receive any fire from shore, but that Kerry had fired a mortar round at close range to some rocks on shore. The crewman thought that the injury was caused by a fragment ricocheting from that mortar round when it struck the rocks.

SmallTown

Football season!
So Bush's and Kerry's actions involving war (and how to avoid it) cancel themselves out. Next topic.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by SmallTown
So Bush's and Kerry's actions involving war (and how to avoid it) cancel themselves out. Next topic.
Nice try. Bush isn't running on his "Vietnam war record" - Kerry is. You can't turn on the TV without his Vietnam service and his three Purple Hearts being mentioned by the breathless liberals.

Believe me, I'm not a big Bush fan these days either. But we've been hearing for months what a big war hero Kerry is and what a horrible person George Bush is for supposedly not showing up for duty. Now that Kerry has been exposed for the fraud he is, the Democrats want to kick it under the rug and pretend it never happened. So sorry, but you must reap what you've sown.

:dance:

SmallTown

Football season!
Nice try. Bush isn't running on his "Vietnam war record" - Kerry is. You can't turn on the TV without his Vietnam service and his three Purple Hearts being mentioned by the breathless liberals.

Believe me, I'm not a big Bush fan these days either. But we've been hearing for months what a big war hero Kerry is and what a horrible person George Bush is for supposedly not showing up for duty. Now that Kerry has been exposed for the fraud he is, the Democrats want to kick it under the rug and pretend it never happened. So sorry, but you must reap what you've sown.

:dance:

I personally haven't seen where Kerry has gone full force with being a war hero. The topics I most often here are questioning Bush's military "plans" for Iraq and the economy. And on those two topics, I don't think Kerry has a strong answer.

Yes, if Kerry tried to wimp out of vietnam and now is trying to ride his military service into the white house, it won't work. But it also shows what kind of people the republicans are when they go after the military record of someone who actually WENT there, when their beloved candidate took the wrong turn on his way to vietnam and ended up in fantasy island.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I personally haven't seen where Kerry has gone full force with being a war hero.
You are so full of it - he talks about it whenever he's giving a speech or doing an interview.

I find it incredibly funny that you folks didn't have any criticism for Clinton when he BLATANTLY dodged the draft so he could smoke pot in England. Now, all of a sudden, serving in Vietnam is a REQUIREMENT for political office. :duh: And now it's even okay to fake an injury so you can get a fake medal for your fake war "heroics" - of course, what else would one expect from a fake man like Kerry with his fake wife who's still trying to pretend she's married to her dead first husband.

And, FYI, it's already been proven that Bush was, in fact, where he was supposed to be when he was supposed to be there. If you'd read something other than the DU, you'd know that. So quit beating a dead horse - the fantasy is over.

:razz:

SmallTown

Football season!
I find it incredibly funny that you folks didn't have any criticism for Clinton when he BLATANTLY dodged the draft so he could smoke pot in England.

:confused:

I don't even think I was posting on here when Clitnon's military record was an issue. And if I was here at the time, you would know I was disappointed with clinton on many levels, including the draft dodging. So your blanket assumption holds no water at all.

Funny you mention DU. After all the ranting and raving you do about the dems, one of us goes to the DU (apparantly on a regular basis) and one of us has never gone there. Ironic, no?

Animal

I eat red meat
:confused:

I don't even think I was posting on here when Clitnon's military record was an issue. And if I was here at the time, you would know I was disappointed with clinton on many levels, including the draft dodging. So your blanket assumption holds no water at all.

Funny you mention DU. After all the ranting and raving you do about the dems, one of us goes to the DU (apparantly on a regular basis) and one of us has never gone there. Ironic, no?
I would agree with you on that, one of you two seems to live there and the initials aren't ST.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So your blanket assumption holds no water at all.
Read for comprehension, please. I said "you folks" meaning " you Democrats" and "you liberals". While you personally might not have been ignoring the Clinton follies, your komrades were.

However you, personally, have raved about Bush's AWOL whatever many a time, even AFTER several people came forward to say that, yes, he was there. Even AFTER they dug up his records to PROVE he was there. Why just today (see above) you made the accusation even though by now you certainly know it's not true.

Again, I could give a crap about Bush - I hate panderers and that's all neocons are, as far as I'm concerned. But a little consistency is in order here.