Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 23andMe

23andMe

Has anyone done this genetic testing kit? Is it accurate? The girls at work were doing this a few months, ago, I ordered one as well and havent done it yet. Were y'all happy with the results?

23andMe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I never heard of it before. 2008 Time Magazine invention of the year. So it's legit.

Let me know if you do it.
    *Disclaimer: My online conversation and comments to you in no way imply that I am actually interested in you.*

Quote Originally Posted by migtig View Post
    23andMe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I never heard of it before. 2008 Time Magazine invention of the year. So it's legit.

Let me know if you do it.
    I'm going to do it. I already have the kit. I was just wondering how anyone else's results were. It seems very thorough. A lady here at work said it was pretty spot on. Although I'm tempted to use dog saliva on the extra one I bought for a friend just to throw them off.

Quote Originally Posted by cricketmd View Post
    I'm going to do it. I already have the kit. I was just wondering how anyone else's results were. It seems very thorough. A lady here at work said it was pretty spot on. Although I'm tempted to use dog saliva on the extra one I bought for a friend just to throw them off.
    Well I just read up some more about them and I have to say I'm really tempted to do the same. Mainly for the health aspect, but they say it also helps find your ancestory and stuff to, so that's cool. And it will also link you to people you are related to, maybe some you never knew about. Which I don't know how i feel about that part.
    *Disclaimer: My online conversation and comments to you in no way imply that I am actually interested in you.*

Has anyone done this genetic testing kit? Is it accurate? The girls at work were doing this a few months, ago, I ordered one as well and havent done it yet. Were y'all happy with the results?
    Yes, my g/f and I have both submitted samples to 23 and me. It is interesting to see small things about yourself shown on a web site. I was very hesitant and reluctant to do the test, my father has Dementia that is progressing into Alzheimer's. There are other family members from his side of the family that had the disease as well (they have since passed), it was this piece of knowledge that one can learn from the test - if they are carrying genetic markers for the disease (and other diseases) that made me hesitant to even take the test.

I was waging my own personal mental battle of do I really want to know about it or not. Sometimes ignorance is bliss and well in this matter and other matters like such (Death) I have long preferred to be ignorant. In this case I finally caved into curiosity because I was an expectant dad to be at the time of taking the test and wanting to be able to take care of my little girl even before her birth gave me the motivation to take the test for Our knowledge.

Happily to say I do not have the same genetic markers that would give me an increased risk of developing Dementia/Alzheimer's. Am I happy with the test? Yes, I fact checked the results of what things I do show the possibility of being a higher risk for with my mother. The test confirmed that I carry more traits from her family than my fathers (I already knew that by appearance). Historical illnesses in the families are the same things that I showed to be a higher risk for, it was very interesting to see from whom and how your traits come out.

The other sections of 23 and Me are interesting as well. I have started conversing via email with genetic matches (other distant relatives) and it has helped pull together a few loose ends that we were not able to figure out from working with Ancestry and the family tree.

So in all yes, I think that it was worth while to fiddle with and at least put my mind at ease in small ways while reminding me that I still need to take better care of myself. I hope this helps you, feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions.

Blog Entries
    Well I just read up some more about them and I have to say I'm really tempted to do the same. Mainly for the health aspect, but they say it also helps find your ancestory and stuff to, so that's cool. And it will also link you to people you are related to, maybe some you never knew about. Which I don't know how i feel about that part.
    Now I'm curious..

My mom's side of the family is a total mystery, one that died with her father.

We do know we have some genetic anomalys most associated with where we know we came from, but I'd like to delve a little deeper, we don't know what our family name was. Our great grandparents, and my grandfather (8 at the time) were issued a new last name when being processed at Ellis Island.

Health problems my sons have had relate directly to the part of the world we think we came from, so we are pretty sure we have that right.
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

Well, I think it said something about matching your dna up with familiy ancestors but I think they have to have already submitted a dna sample to compare it to. So it depends on how many of your ancestors have done this. I'm a bit intriqued by the dna aspect because if they go by last name and try to find others with last name, it will be off. My last name is not my real last name, my family altered our last name years ago. Meanwhile the other friend I got the kit for is adamant about NOT submitting a DNA sample, she's afraid it will sit in some govnerment file or something and ist all about "big brother"

Blog Entries
    Why do we want to know things like that? That's a real question - what purpose does it serve? So you find out you're predisposed to cancer...then what? You should be eating right, exercising, and getting regular checkups anyway. And if you don't already know that stuff is better for your health, I don't believe some test is going to light a fire under you.

Seriously, why would someone get genetically tested?
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Blog Entries
    Meanwhile the other friend I got the kit for is adamant about NOT submitting a DNA sample, she's afraid it will sit in some govnerment file or something and ist all about "big brother"

There is no guarantee that it won't be.
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

[QUOTE=itsbob;5113769]There is no guarantee that it won't be.[/QUOTE

I'll take that risk, I havent done anything wrong.

Members who have read this thread: 37