Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So you want to have a few chickens ?

I have neighbors with a fenced in backyard with Chickens. Trouble is they also have 3 little girls who are always leaving the gate to the backyard open. At last count I believe they had about ten chickens.

I have never had chickens, know nothing about them and have had to go trying to chase them around my yard trying to coral them up and get them going back to the neighbors house 2 doors down.

I probably looked like a fool trying to remember what noises to try to make to coax them to doing what I wanted.

I finally got smart and just asked my neighbors for their work phone numbers and now if they are let out by accident I just call them and all I worry about is trying to keep them out of the road till they get home. LOL I never could get them to go where I wanted but I can keep them from not going where I don't want them.

But everyone should not have chickens. Otherwise you just have some fool neighbor who ends up dealing with them.
    Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    Backyardchickens they call it chicken math, you plan on starting with 4 chickens and add 2 or 3 and you have 20 -30... its that damn common core math I tell you.

We adopted the first ones from forumites moving, another friend donated a few.. then we wanted to try incubating and hatching..THEN I wanted to try getting live chicks shipped... THEN we adopted 5 ducks.. and NOW have 12 ducks incubating..
    Sheww, I can't get into all that, although opinion may change as things go on.

Just want to start out with a few to see if I like the experience and extra responsibility.

I'm thinking of adding a run inside a fenced area. Can chickens get enough "flight height" to clear a fence? Would like to let them roam if they can't clear the fence.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
    Sheww, I can't get into all that, although opinion may change as things go on.

Just want to start out with a few to see if I like the experience and extra responsibility.

I'm thinking of adding a run inside a fenced area. Can chickens get enough "flight height" to clear a fence? Would like to let them roam if they can't clear the fence.
    It's not just the chickens.. they need a safe shelter, without a top on the run the hawks, owls and eagles will love you... even grey foxes could climb a fence and decimate your flock.. I like to let our birds free-range all day but I have a fox to take of before we can let them out all day again.

Free range or roaming chickens, even home grown cooped chickens produce eggs ten times better for you than store bought (not am exaggetation)
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

My "run" would be totally enclosed when I they are not "free ranging". I wanted to be able to let them out of the run when I'm home inside the fenced area. Was wondering if they could clear a fence or not. They would go back in the run/coop when not free ranging.

Blog Entries
    My "run" would be totally enclosed when I they are not "free ranging". I wanted to be able to let them out of the run when I'm home inside the fenced area. Was wondering if they could clear a fence or not. They would go back in the run/coop when not free ranging.
    Gotcha... contemplating the same thing if I can't fix the fox problem...

A couple of our chickens can fly fairly high, others can't get off the ground at all.. I have unintentional roosts 6 feet off the ground that my biggest chickens sleep on..

It's not just the chickens.. they need a safe shelter, without a top on the run the hawks, owls and eagles will love you... even grey foxes could climb a fence and decimate your flock.. I like to let our birds free-range all day but I have a fox to take of before we can let them out all day again.

Free range or roaming chickens, even home grown cooped chickens produce eggs ten times better for you than store bought (not am exaggetation)
    We had chickens at one time and had several babies we had incubated. Something actually ripped the chicks thru the fence, I don't know how. All I know is when I went out in the morning to feed them they were shredded all over the yard with only one left hovering in the little house. Seems someone forgot to lock them in the house before dark. It was pitiful.

Gotcha... contemplating the same thing if I can't fix the fox problem...

A couple of our chickens can fly fairly high, others can't get off the ground at all.. I have unintentional roosts 6 feet off the ground that my biggest chickens sleep on..
    I guess I'll have to judge the individual chickens I get. My fence is 6 foot with the exception of one 4 foot side.

I generally only let mine out when I am there to supervise and to retrieve the ones that stroll away from the group.
    Making a Difference for Critters Big and Small
    We are now a 501 (c)(3) non-profit!
    Please help us by donating - we need supplies for the critters awaiting adoption.
    Select us as your Charitable beneficiary on Amazon Smile (smile.amazon.com) CLICK HERE

Besides the auction, anyone know where I can buy adult chickens? I know the Amish but narrowing it down to which ones do would be helpful.

Blog Entries
    Besides the auction, anyone know where I can buy adult chickens? I know the Amish but narrowing it down to which ones do would be helpful.
    Check craigslist, and the backyardchickens site.. craigslist you can usually find somebody giving them away.. once my easter eggers start laying I may adopt out a few layers I have..

I'd suggest staying away from the farmers markets, unless somebody can give a referral to one all the chicks I saw didn't look to good.
    Last edited by itsbob; 12-16-2013 at 10:10 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.