So you want to have a few chickens ?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I was thinking about people who may want to start their own small backyard flock of chickens for fresh eggs or to eat. This article talks about not going on vacations, however, you can always pay a neighbor or a pet service to take care of your critters while you are gone. We provide pet-sitting services on a limited basis, but most important we know people who do it on a full-time basis that we can refer you to.

This article has some noteworthy things to consider for newbies:

The Not So Attractive Side of Having Chickens-Lessons Learned From the Flock Blog-Grit Magazine

You can also check out Backyard Chickens for information on getting started with chickens:

Getting Started Raising Chickens - BackYard Chickens Community

If you want help with getting started, I suggest visiting people who already have chickens to ask questions and SEE what they have setup. That way you can see a variety of options and do what suits your situation best.

I'd be happy to help also. I decided to participate in a breeding project for gene diversification of the Tolbunt Polish Chickens. There are many rare breeds that would benefit from more people raising chickens. Or you can just raise a few from a well known breed. The possibilities are many - just ask a chicken owner.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member

Attachments

• boneless chicken ranch.jpg
    boneless chicken ranch.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 382

jedi2814

I was thinking about people who may want to start their own small backyard flock of chickens for fresh eggs or to eat. This article talks about not going on vacations, however, you can always pay a neighbor or a pet service to take care of your critters while you are gone. We provide pet-sitting services on a limited basis, but most important we know people who do it on a full-time basis that we can refer you to.

This article has some noteworthy things to consider for newbies:

The Not So Attractive Side of Having Chickens-Lessons Learned From the Flock Blog-Grit Magazine

You can also check out Backyard Chickens for information on getting started with chickens:

Getting Started Raising Chickens - BackYard Chickens Community

If you want help with getting started, I suggest visiting people who already have chickens to ask questions and SEE what they have setup. That way you can see a variety of options and do what suits your situation best.

I'd be happy to help also. I decided to participate in a breeding project for gene diversification of the Tolbunt Polish Chickens. There are many rare breeds that would benefit from more people raising chickens. Or you can just raise a few from a well known breed. The possibilities are many - just ask a chicken owner.

And that is where my daughter comes in!! She will be starting an animal sitting business this summer including farm animals. We live on a farm and raise chickens, ducks, goats and pigs so she is experienced in more than just cats and dogs. She has her own transportation (she is 17 and driving) and charges will depend on location and how far she'd have to drive. We are in Prince Frederick. PM me for info if you are need of such a service in Southern Maryland.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
And that is where my daughter comes in!! She will be starting an animal sitting business this summer including farm animals. We live on a farm and raise chickens, ducks, goats and pigs so she is experienced in more than just cats and dogs. She has her own transportation (she is 17 and driving) and charges will depend on location and how far she'd have to drive. We are in Prince Frederick. PM me for info if you are need of such a service in Southern Maryland.

Sounds great. I'll PM ya'.

General Lee

I am considering a small coop, 6-8 chickens. Any where local I can buy adult, ready to lay egg chickens? I don't want the wait time for chicks to mature.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I am considering a small coop, 6-8 chickens. Any where local I can buy adult, ready to lay egg chickens? I don't want the wait time for chicks to mature.

Sure at the livestock auction in Charlotte Hall the 1st and the 3rd Wednesday of each month. Starts at 6pm I believe.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
My girlfriend wants a chicken coop....

I like eggs, but not enough for a coop.

You and her? 2 - 4 chickens should be enough.. coop could be the size of a rabbit hutch.

We started with 4 chickens, we now have 21 and 8 ducks..

The BEST eggs ever.

General Lee

You and her? 2 - 4 chickens should be enough.. coop could be the size of a rabbit hutch.

We started with 4 chickens, we now have 21 and 8 ducks..

The BEST eggs ever.

I remember your initial thread where you started out, tried to find it.

How is it coming along? and how did you end up w/ so many chickens already? you have a rooster?

Any tips, do's or don'ts?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I remember your initial thread where you started out, tried to find it.

How is it coming along? and how did you end up w/ so many chickens already? you have a rooster?

Any tips, do's or don'ts?

Backyardchickens they call it chicken math, you plan on starting with 4 chickens and add 2 or 3 and you have 20 -30... its that damn common core math I tell you.

We adopted the first ones from forumites moving, another friend donated a few.. then we wanted to try incubating and hatching..THEN I wanted to try getting live chicks shipped... THEN we adopted 5 ducks.. and NOW have 12 ducks incubating..

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I want to stick with one or two special breeds.. we like the blue egg layers and have 9 hens and one rooster.. if I can start hatching their eggs will probably adopt out the rest of our chickens.

Also thinking Marans as they lay dark chocolate brown eggs..

LOVE the taste, and BG loves to bake with duck eggs.. most ducks don't produce a.lot of eggs and are seasonal.. Pekins (all white ducks) are good for about 200 or so eggs a year each.. Khaki Campbells (all brown females) will produce about 2
300 eggs a year..