Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: So you want to have a few chickens ?

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    Check craigslist, and the backyardchickens site.. craigslist you can usually find somebody giving them away.. once my easter eggers start laying I may adopt out a few layers I have..

I'd suggest staying away from the farmers markets, unless somebody can give a referral to one all the chicks I saw didn't look to good.
    Plus, you never know how old they are at the Farmer's Market. Some of the Amish amputate most of the upper beak to prevent plucking. I got a few from there because I felt sorry for them.

I agree with you guys on the market, I'd be worried about health issues.

Coop is ordered and being built........won't be long now.

Quote Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
    Besides the auction, anyone know where I can buy adult chickens? I know the Amish but narrowing it down to which ones do would be helpful.
    The Amish usually de-beak their chickens (clip off part of the beak to reduce pecking at each other) so I personally would never buy any of their de-beaked chickens. The FB MD Poultry and Egg Swappers group is a place you can advertise that you are looking to buy chickens. I believe you need to be put in the group by another member so you can PM me your FB name and I can see about getting you in there unless someone else you know has access?

I have a post out there now saying I'm looking for some L/XL white egg layers and none are close to SoMD - I had some offers from Western MD and PA, but I don't want to drive that far.
    Making a Difference for Critters Big and Small
    We are now a 501 (c)(3) non-profit!
    Please help us by donating - we need supplies for the critters awaiting adoption.
    Select us as your Charitable beneficiary on Amazon Smile (smile.amazon.com) CLICK HERE

I agree with you guys on the market, I'd be worried about health issues.

Coop is ordered and being built........won't be long now.
    My experience with chickens is that it doesn't matter where you get chickens from, they are all exposed to different germs, and when a new one is added I usually see a round of sniffling or such (from the newbie or my group) and their immune systems kick in and it's over. Each farm has different germs that they have to adjust to. You do need to be cautious about some of the big diseases though. I say this to say that every bit of sniffling you hear/see is not a big disease. It gets complicated trying to learn when to worry and/or when to just give their immune system time, or when to provide an antibiotic.

I'd recommend you get one or two chicken books to have on hand to read up on them. I'm up to having about 6 books now, but I found myself needing to diagnose ailments, so I added some vet type books on poultry. These 2 are the basics that most people start with.

Raising Chickens for Dummies
    and
    Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens
    Please help us by donating - we need supplies for the critters awaiting adoption.
    Select us as your Charitable beneficiary on Amazon Smile (smile.amazon.com) CLICK HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Roman View Post
    Plus, you never know how old they are at the Farmer's Market. Some of the Amish amputate most of the upper beak to prevent plucking. I got a few from there because I felt sorry for them.
    yup you are right about age - usually if you see a cluster of hens at the auction, it's because they are older and not laying as well so are being sold for food.

I feel sorry for the de-beaked ones also.

Interesting article about Chickens

"This is the time of year that our thoughts turn to gifts and our minds begin to reflect on the past, isn’t it?

I want to share with you some reflections of the gifts my chickens have given me. Many of the gifts are lessons taught to me, and I’m passing these lessons along as my gifts to you.

Number One. Chickens are cannibals.

Well, okay, this is not so much of a gift as a warning. When you are new to chicken keeping, it can come as a terrible shock - when one flock member has a wound of some sort - to find the rest of the flock chasing her around trying to get a taste. It is, however, what chickens do. The solution (and here’s your gift) is to watch your chickens carefully, and if there’s an injury, treat it immediately. If the picking continues, or the injury is deep or extensive, you will want to isolate the injured bird until the wound has healed. Being pecked to death by chickens truly does happen.

This time of year, if you live in the cold parts of the country, you may find chickens have some black spots of frostbite on their combs. Watch these spots, because they can “weep” and draw the attention of the next bird on the roost. Just covering the area with petroleum jelly (or I’ve even used Bag Balm) can help keep inquiring beaks away from the spot while it heals. "

Gifts from The Flock -- Community Chickens

Great info Ark, thanks for providing it. Also no FB but I appreciate the offer. I'm gonna need to get some books, I need education on the illnesses and how to treat.

Great info Ark, thanks for providing it. Also no FB but I appreciate the offer. I'm gonna need to get some books, I need education on the illnesses and how to treat.
    For the most part, time allows the immune system to handle most things that come up, but there is a lot to learn about the insect-type problems they can have from lice, mites, etc. It's better overall to limit your flock to 1 source if at all possible, but for me that's not practical because we add rescues from time to time.

I have 2 hens right now that are having repeated bouts with Bumblefoot. It develops when the chicken gets a cut on their foot and the bacteria in their environment causes an infection with lumps that inhibit their ability to walk. Once they get it, they tend to have recurrences of it, like with Big Mama. Every so often I have to pull black hard lumps out of her feet. The vet I took Big Mama to (had studied poultry in school) said that when cleaning the hen's feet I needed to use gloves due to the bacteria being a staph infection. People may think I'm crazy for taking a chicken to the vet, but that day the vet didn't charge me (lucky me), the vet said he was just touched by the fact that I would go so far to help my chicken as to bring her to a vet .

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.