1% in 2014

mamatutu

mama to two
Outcry erupts over 1% pay raise proposed for military | Army Times | armytimes.com

"Military families and their advocates are battling an Obama administration proposal to limit troops’ pay raises to 1 percent in 2014, the lowest increase in half a century.

The raise comes at a time when forces will still be fighting in Afghanistan."

Ridiculous. Oh, but no matter the financial situation presently in America, Congress got a pay raise.

Fiscal Cliff 2013: Obama Gives the Least Productive Congress in History a Raise

Last I heard, not a single Representative or Senator has put their life on the line, or been killed while battling it out in Congress. Or, should I say non-battling in Congress, since they seem to get nothing done. The elitism and in your face crap that exudes from the current government of King Obama is nauseating, to say the least. God bless all military past, present, and future. America appreciates you, even if your own government does not.

GW8345

Not White House Approved
Barry needs all the money he can get for the welfare whores, i.e. the democratic voting base. This proves that Mooochele's support of the military is merely an act for the media, for deep down Barry and Mooochele hate the military.

mamatutu

mama to two
Last I heard, not a single Representative or Senator has put their life on the line, QUOTE]

You must be completely deaf?

Actually, why are you so rude? I have always been respectful to you when replying. You left out the part that I said "while they were battling in Congress". I assume that is what you meant by your reply. I totally realize that some Congress members have been in actual field/war battle. Maybe, your problem is that you don't get sarcasm. I say this in all due respect. Oh, and what wise input did you add to this discussion? None. Ok.

Last edited:

nutz

Outcry erupts over 1% pay raise proposed for military | Army Times | armytimes.com

"Military families and their advocates are battling an Obama administration proposal to limit troops’ pay raises to 1 percent in 2014, the lowest increase in half a century.

The raise comes at a time when forces will still be fighting in Afghanistan."

Sorry for their luck. They'll probably make it up in housing allowances though. How many others have had 0 pay increases or cuts? How many others are on unemployment?

BOP

Sorry for their luck. They'll probably make it up in housing allowances though. How many others have had 0 pay increases or cuts? How many others are on unemployment?

Thinking just like a good little progressive.

philibusters

Considering federal government employees have now has their pay frozen for three years, I do not think this is unprecedented. The Defense budget is going to be the same whether service members get a 2% or 1% raise---the difference is how much of that goes to salary. It sounds like their is the hope to save a program or two by slightly reducing salaries.

CrashTest

If I'm in the military and have guys shooting at me, I'll forgo a big pay raise in exchange for a weapon that works or a plane that flies. These days, that's about what it boils down to.

GW8345

Not White House Approved
If I'm in the military and have guys shooting at me, I'll forgo a big pay raise in exchange for a weapon that works or a plane that flies. These days, that's about what it boils down to.

Yea, because I can always deploy/fight knowing that my family can't afford to feed themselves or pay the bills........but I can still fight for my country since I have a weapon/aircraft that works.

Why don't you look at how much (or should I say how little) the junior sailors/troops actually make and then tell me that a pay raise is not needed as long as they have a weapon to fight with.

Most married junior enlisted qualify for food stamps/WIC and other gov't subsidies because the gov't refuses to pay them enough to live on but insist on having all kinds of bennies like free hair cuts, free travel, etc.

philibusters

Yea, because I can always deploy/fight knowing that my family can't afford to feed themselves or pay the bills........but I can still fight for my country since I have a weapon/aircraft that works.

Why don't you look at how much (or should I say how little) the junior sailors/troops actually make and then tell me that a pay raise is not needed as long as they have a weapon to fight with.

Most married junior enlisted qualify for food stamps/WIC and other gov't subsidies because the gov't refuses to pay them enough to live on but insist on having all kinds of bennies like free hair cuts, free travel, etc.

I disagree that junior service members are that poor. An E1 with less than two years experience is going to have a base salary of 18,000. In addition that E1 will have free housing in quarters and free meals at the mess hall. Lets say the free lodging and food is worth an addition $1,000 a month. That puts a brand new graduate from high school at around $30,000 of income. That is better than average for a new 18 year with no experience and work skills. If the E1 has a family he'll lose the free lodgings and food, but he'll get BAH of around 1500 dollars a month (meaning he has income of $36,000--that BAH number depends on locality, I used Lexington Park, in lower cost living areas, they'll receive less and in higher cost living areas more).

Not saying you are living large with a wife and kid at $36,000, but I know of 18 and 19 years doing the same things as cart pushers at Wal Mart with half that income. Life is hard when you are young and you have a family, that is not something unique to being in the military. Plus the military has a ton of other advantages like free healthcare for your entire family, you basic housing allowance is not taxable and so on that makes that $36,000 better than it sounds. Point being the junior enlisted are far from rich, but compared to other 18 and 19 year olds, they are doing better than average.

I am a federal gov't employee but I work with a lot of junior enlisted persons. Almost all of them have their money tight, in the case of those with families because the money really is tight, in the case of those without families because like most 18 or 19 year olds they are not good money, but they are better off than your typical 18 or 19 year old.

GW8345

Not White House Approved
I disagree that junior service members are that poor. An E1 with less than two years experience is going to have a base salary of 18,000. In addition that E1 will have free housing in quarters and free meals at the mess hall. Lets say the free lodging and food is worth an addition $1,000 a month. That puts a brand new graduate from high school at around $30,000 of income. That is better than average for a new 18 year with no experience and work skills. If the E1 has a family he'll lose the free lodgings and food, but he'll get BAH of around 1500 dollars a month (meaning he has income of $36,000--that BAH number depends on locality, I used Lexington Park, in lower cost living areas, they'll receive less and in higher cost living areas more).

Not saying you are living large with a wife and kid at $36,000, but I know of 18 and 19 years doing the same things as cart pushers at Wal Mart with half that income. Life is hard when you are young and you have a family, that is not something unique to being in the military. Plus the military has a ton of other advantages like free healthcare for your entire family, you basic housing allowance is not taxable and so on that makes that $36,000 better than it sounds. Point being the junior enlisted are far from rich, but compared to other 18 and 19 year olds, they are doing better than average.

I am a federal gov't employee but I work with a lot of junior enlisted persons. Almost all of them have their money tight, in the case of those with families because the money really is tight, in the case of those without families because like most 18 or 19 year olds they are not good money, but they are better off than your typical 18 or 19 year old.
And have you lived in those free houses, have you experienced that free heathcare? Also those 18/19 year olds deploy for up to 15 months at a time, and there are a lot of costs that the gov't don't cover. Plus, please tell me were the chow hall is on base?

Comparing those on shore duty and those on sea duty is a totally different thing, when you deploy your Comrats are stopped for one example. There are additional cost when you deploy and I've seen Airman how couldn't afford to get off the ship because they were sending every penny back home to support the wife and kids. When I deployed, my sea pay and flight deck pay barely covered my loss of comrats.

And how is it to say an E-1 with less then two years is 18, I've seen lots of people come in when they were in their early 20's.

Also, those walmart workers don't have to pay to maintain a uniform (and if you think a uniform allowance covers that cost, you are sadly mistaken), work a 12 hour shift then have to stand an 8 hour watch, and can be deployed on 96 hour notice. How many of them also work on dangerous equipment, are highly trained in today's technology and are responsible for millions of dollars of equipment. How many of them have to relocate every two years (and again, if you think uncle sam covers all the cost, you are sadly mistaken)?

If the pay and working conditions were the same as walmart, I would think the line outside the recruiters office would be around the block.

Last edited:

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
My son was on food stamps and WIC his last 2 1/2 years of a 5 year hitch. His commanding officer advised him that it was availble to him, his wife, and 2 kids because the military income is so low.

philibusters

And have you lived in those free houses, have you experienced that free heathcare?

No

Also those 18/19 year olds deploy for up to 15 months at a time, and there are a lot of costs that the gov't don't cover. Plus, please tell me were the chow hall is on base?

They'll either eat for free at a mess hall or alternatively they will get BAS.

Comparing those on shore duty and those on sea duty is a totally different thing, when you deploy your Comrats are stopped for one example. There are additional cost when you deploy and I've seen Airman how couldn't afford to get off the ship because they were sending every penny back home to support the wife and kids. When I deployed, my sea pay and flight deck pay barely covered my loss of comrats.

But you were having your meals provided to you.

And how is it to say an E-1 with less then two years is 18, I've seen lots of people come in when they were in their early 20's.

Its not easy or hard to say E1 has less than two years is 18 or 19 years old. For purposes of making my point I used the example of E1 with less than two years experience who was 18 or 19. There are a lot of E1 who are in their early twenties, but I don't think that changes the point. They for the most part come in as unskilled labor and then receive training while in the military so that four or five years down the line they have workplace skills.

Also, those walmart workers don't have to pay to maintain a uniform (and if you think a uniform allowance covers that cost, you are sadly mistaken)work a 12 hour shift then have to stand an 8 hour watch, and can be deployed on 96 hour notice.

None but none of those things are universally true in the military either. Depending on what you unit and field you are in within the military your odds of having to go through any of those things will vary. I work at Joint Base Langley Eustis. None of the service members I work with really have 12 hour shift (except on rare occasions, but that happens in the non-military work world occasionally too when a project is due) or stand 8 hour watch. The office I work at Langley Air Force base does deploy a decent amount of service member because its attached to a unit that deploys a lot (office is a support function for F22 unit), but the Army office I work with doesn't deploy anybody because they are attached a unit that doesn't deploy at all (office is a support function for helicopter and land vehicle repair).

How many of them also work on dangerous equipment, are highly trained in today's technology and are responsible for millions of dollars of equipment. How many of them have to relocate every two years (and again, if you think uncle sam covers all the cost, you are sadly mistaken)?

None, but the same is true for a lot of junior enlisted service members.

If the pay and working conditions were the same as walmart, I would think the line outside the recruiters office would be around the block.

Are you implying the pay for a cart pusher or cashier at Wal-Mart is better than the military? It is not. It terms of working conditions on the job, I imagine they are similar. They both have probably a lot of annoying parts (like standing on your feet all day) or just being tedious. Most of the jobs at the base I work at have comparable jobs in the private section whether it auto or plane repair, mowing the lawn and landscaping, funeral detail (mortician), or so. Ultimately they do the same thing as jobs in the private sector. There is definitely a loss of freedom with the military. The military pretty much owns you for a given amount of time. There is certainly no equiviliant to that in the private sector (at least in this country). That said, I just don't buy the argument that the military pay is horrible.

When you are young and unskilled, when you are just not going to make a lot of money, whether its in the military or private sector. In both, if you work hard, you'll have the opportunity to move up and make more money. Again, I am not saying young enlisted service members are making bank or living large, but what I am saying is that in my opinion they make a little bit more than they would in they public sector given their age and skill set. I stand by the numbers I used in my earlier post. I am not saying they are overpaid compared to the private sector--I think they get paid a little more, but they also loose their freedom in a way, private sector workers do not lose their freedom, so maybe the extra pay is for the lose of your freedom. I am just saying I don't buy the argument that they underpaid that you are making.

philibusters

If you want to get anecdotal, I am considering leaving my job to try to do the same job as an active duty service member. (I am a federal gov't GS employee now who works for the Air Force). I have not done it because I am really hesitant to give up my freedom and because it will make it harder to find a wife and start a family. However, the only reason I am considering it is because it does offer a surer way to financial security than working as a GS employee. Ultimately right now I think I value my freedom a little bit more than the extra dollars and benefits, but its something I continue to mull over.

GW8345

Not White House Approved
No

They'll either eat for free at a mess hall or alternatively they will get BAS.

But you were having your meals provided to you.

Its not easy or hard to say E1 has less than two years is 18 or 19 years old. For purposes of making my point I used the example of E1 with less than two years experience who was 18 or 19. There are a lot of E1 who are in their early twenties, but I don't think that changes the point. They for the most part come in as unskilled labor and then receive training while in the military so that four or five years down the line they have workplace skills.

None but none of those things are universally true in the military either. Depending on what you unit and field you are in within the military your odds of having to go through any of those things will vary. I work at Joint Base Langley Eustis. None of the service members I work with really have 12 hour shift (except on rare occasions, but that happens in the non-military work world occasionally too when a project is due) or stand 8 hour watch. The office I work at Langley Air Force base does deploy a decent amount of service member because its attached to a unit that deploys a lot (office is a support function for F22 unit), but the Army office I work with doesn't deploy anybody because they are attached a unit that doesn't deploy at all (office is a support function for helicopter and land vehicle repair).

None, but the same is true for a lot of junior enlisted service members.

Are you implying the pay for a cart pusher or cashier at Wal-Mart is better than the military? It is not. It terms of working conditions on the job, I imagine they are similar. They both have probably a lot of annoying parts (like standing on your feet all day) or just being tedious. Most of the jobs at the base I work at have comparable jobs in the private section whether it auto or plane repair, mowing the lawn and landscaping, funeral detail (mortician), or so. Ultimately they do the same thing as jobs in the private sector. There is definitely a loss of freedom with the military. The military pretty much owns you for a given amount of time. There is certainly no equiviliant to that in the private sector (at least in this country). That said, I just don't buy the argument that the military pay is horrible.

When you are young and unskilled, when you are just not going to make a lot of money, whether its in the military or private sector. In both, if you work hard, you'll have the opportunity to move up and make more money. Again, I am not saying young enlisted service members are making bank or living large, but what I am saying is that in my opinion they make a little bit more than they would in they public sector given their age and skill set. I stand by the numbers I used in my earlier post. I am not saying they are overpaid compared to the private sector--I think they get paid a little more, but they also loose their freedom in a way, private sector workers do not lose their freedom, so maybe the extra pay is for the lose of your freedom. I am just saying I don't buy the argument that they underpaid that you are making.
I finding it funny as hell how someone who has never served a day in their life can know what it's like to put on the uniform and stand the watch.

I find it funny how you can say that an E-1 is unskilled labor, when I was an E-1, I was highly trained in the handling of explosives and the maintenance of the A-7 Corsair.

Since you have never lived in one of those free houses the military provides let me let you in on something, roach motels have better accommodations. And, those free meals, when I was on ship, my dog eat better then I did. I remember doing a stores on load and seeing meat with the following stamped on it "Not fit for prisoner consumption". Kind of funny how the meat we were getting wasn't good enough for convicts.

And, have you ever lived off of MRE's for a week?

Also, tell me how many 21 year old's are in charge of 10 people and 40 million dollars of equipment, oh, and they play with millions of pounds of high explosives and are trusted with the lives of thousands.

Just because you worked on a military base for years doesn't mean you know what it's like to put on the uniform and stand the watch. I work on Pax and see numerous civilians/contractors who have worked on that base for 20+ years who think they know what it's like to be in the military but when it comes do cleaning up after themselves, they don't understand why they have to empty their own freaking trash can.

Tell you what, go do a six month cruise, go pull a tour of duty in the sand box, then come back and talk to me, until then..........................

GW8345

Not White House Approved
If you want to get anecdotal, I am considering leaving my job to try to do the same job as an active duty service member. (I am a federal gov't GS employee now who works for the Air Force). I have not done it because I am really hesitant to give up my freedom and because it will make it harder to find a wife and start a family. However, the only reason I am considering it is because it does offer a surer way to financial security than working as a GS employee. Ultimately right now I think I value my freedom a little bit more than the extra dollars and benefits, but its something I continue to mull over.
I found a wife and had kids while I was on active duty, lots of people do.

But, if you are joining for the pay and benefits, you are joining for the wrong reason. And you don't see half of what military members go through so you might want to talk to several before you raise your right hand, for once a Staff Sargent gets in your face and tells you how eff'ing stupid you are because you can't properly shine your shoes, it's too late to reconsider.

BOP

It's been that way since I was a young E-nothing, and that was a mighty long time ago.