Masked Men Burst Into Schools With Guns For Test

Misfit

Lawful neutral
Gunfire and moments of fear as a rural Oregon school tests its readiness | OregonLive.com

HALFWAY -- Two masked men wearing hoodies and wielding handguns burst into the Pine Eagle Charter School in this tiny rural community on Friday. Students were at home for an in-service day, so the gunmen headed into a meeting room full of teachers and opened fire.

Someone figured out in a few seconds that the bullets were not drawing blood because they were blanks and the exercise was a drill, designed to test Pine Eagle's preparation for an assault by "active shooters" who were, in reality, members of the school staff. But those few seconds left everybody plenty scared.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Hope a majority of the teachers left that room KNOWING how defenseless they are, and how powerless they are to protect themselves and the kids if the need arises.

HOPEFULLY they'll interact with their Union to ensure the gov't gives them back their right to a safe work environment.

Interesting, we got the same training in Bad Tolz, when a few Green Berets blasted into our "classroom" and started shooting up the place. It was amazing how many people just stood there, totally stunned.. VERY few actually went for the ground, and only one or two (out of about 90-100 soldiers) actually tried to get out of the building.

And you former military types.. the SF use blank adaptors like the rest of us, but you can't see them. They borrow their's from Hollywood, no external clue that the weapon is firing blanks.

It was very telling how unprepared even the fairly well trained are, when they think they are 'safe'.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Those "tests" never seem like a good idea to me.

These tests, are at the very least, VERY eye opening.

EVERYONE has the Hollywood conception of what it will be like, how one will react, what you'll do to save the day.

THIS test shows everyone how helpless they really are. I know they didn't, but what would have made it even better is if they used paint guns. That way after 5 seconds you can look around to see if 1) you survived, and 2) how many of your friends and co-workers didn't.

I bet over 50% of the people in that room stood up and stayed right there, feet firmly planted to the ground.. in fact, I'd even go as high as 80%..

Several stayed in their seats, craning their neck to the sound of gunfire to see what was going on..

<5% actually reacted in some way that MAY have saved their lives.

Now that they've experienced it, give them an after action, and do it again in six months see how everyone reacts.

Hank

my war

EVERYONE has the Hollywood conception of what it will be like, how one will react, what you'll do to save the day.

THIS test shows everyone how helpless they really are. I know they didn't, but what would have made it even better is if they used paint guns. That way after 5 seconds you can look around to see if 1) you survived, and 2) how many of your friends and co-workers didn't.

I bet over 50% of the people in that room stood up and stayed right there, feet firmly planted to the ground.. in fact, I'd even go as high as 80%..

Several stayed in their seats, craning their neck to the sound of gunfire to see what was going on..

Now that they've experienced it, give them an after action, and do it again in six months see how everyone reacts.

Yeah, and all it takes is one of the teachers to be secretly packing heat and blows the face off one of the "actors"... That will show em'!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
This is the FIRST thing I've seen anyone do that actually MIGHT make a difference if a school is attacked again, at least if it's their school.

BUT wait..

Give it a week.. Here come the lawsuites.. PTSD disability claims..

It's coming, you can bet on it.

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Yeah, and all it takes is one of the teachers to be secretly packing heat and blows the face off one of the "actors"... That will show em'!

Did that happen??

I didn't see that part of the story.

It's a gun free zone, full of law abiding teachers on school property.. kind of points out that law abiding citizens are law abiding even it if means they are defenseless and it may mean their demise.

The ONLY incidence I can remember in the past (had to be 20 years ago now) was a Janitor in my kids school died. They went to empty out his LOCKER and found a handgun in it. He didn't carry on his person, but kept it in his locker just in case.

I remember my wife at the time thought I was a loon when I said.. THAT poor criminal janitor, to think if someone had actually tried something at the school he would have been a hero. Now he's just a dead criminal. Who'd have thought 20 years later here we are.

I'm sure there are more, but that's the only one I can remember.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

And here we are with all these people coming home with real world weapons skills just begging for something to do besides security guard. What to do?

Give 'em some schooling, make 'em into teachers. Armed teachers. Teachers who know how to react, how to to teach young boys into becoming young men, let 'em be responsible for teaching their peers a few basic schools in what to do right after you crap yourself.

I mean, for ####s sake. We are a bored nation filled with people who either do way tool little or people who can't find enough adventure in hiking, climbing, skiing, running and swimming and riding bikes insane distances, thrill seekers all.

Gun 'em up.

Fight the #### back.

Hank

my war
Did that happen??

I didn't see that part of the story.

It's a gun free zone, full of law abiding teachers on school property.. kind of points out that law abiding citizens are law abiding even it if means they are defenseless and it may mean their demise.

The ONLY incidence I can remember in the past (had to be 20 years ago now) was a Janitor in my kids school died. They went to empty out his LOCKER and found a handgun in it. He didn't carry on his person, but kept it in his locker just in case.

I remember my wife at the time thought I was a loon when I said.. THAT poor criminal janitor, to think if someone had actually tried something at the school he would have been a hero. Now he's just a dead criminal. Who'd have thought 20 years later here we are.

I'm sure there are more, but that's the only one I can remember.

Well, I didn't say it happened... I said "all it takes"... Especially in the "sign of times" we are currently living in. I am sure after Newtown, there are probably a few teachers out there with some protection now... And don't feed me the "but it's a gun free one" BS... I get your point!

C

czygvtwkr

This would have been great if it caused one of them to get a pencil shoved into their eye.

edinsomd

Makes you wonder what the NRA would have said then?

NRA wouldn't have said anything, and the local prosecutor would be hard pressed to call it anything but self defense. Run into my house like that with blanks blazing, and I'll send flowers to your funeral.

Or not.

:smack:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
NRA wouldn't have said anything, and the local prosecutor would be hard pressed to call it anything but self defense. Run into my house like that with blanks blazing, and I'll send flowers to your funeral.

Or not.

:smack:

What a callous, mean spirited thing to say. :tap:

One should ALWAYS send flowers.

Always.

:buddies:

bulldog

We had an event like this planned at work and it was a pretty detailed exercise...involving St. Mary's Sheriff's Emergency Services Team, Charles County, Maryland State Police Trooper 7 for medical evac, etc. Boss pulled the plug at the 11th hour and we ended up with a joke of a walk thru that did nothing but waste time and had absolutely zero value.