Police shoot dogs, family gets compensated

Chris0nllyn

The city of Minneapolis has settled a lawsuit stemming from an incident two years ago in which city cops shot two pit bulls — one of which was so close to 3-year-old girl it splattered blood on her pajamas — in a North Minneapolis home.

The City Council agreed to pay James and Aisha Keten $225,000 on March 29, a few weeks after U.S. District Judge Donovan Frank wrote that he would not dismiss several counts of a complaint filed in 2011.

Most notably, Frank wrote that a reasonable juror could conclude that a Minneapolis police officer acted unreasonably when he fired multiple shots into small kitchen with a young girl nearby.

Minneapolis pit bull shooting results in $225K in settlement | The Journal

A federal judge has almost doubled the amount of money the city of Des Moines must pay to the owners of Rosie, the Newfoundland fatally shot by police in 2010, adding $50,000 in attorneys’ costs and fees to the $51,000 the city has already agreed to pay the dog’s owners.

At a hearing earlier this month, U.S. District Judge James Robart dismissed the city’s efforts to limit the amount of money paid to the attorneys for Deirdre and Charles Wright, whose pet Newfoundland was shot four times by police after they used a Taser on the dog and chased it from its yard.

Owners of dog slain by police are awarded attorney fees | Local News | The Seattle Times

Last edited:

bcp

In My Opinion
I have a cat they can shoot if they pay me..
or even if they don't pay me.

protectmd

Sadly, the backlash from this sort of thing is the fact that police will be less likely to do anything when a "vicious" animal is running loose, biting and eating small kids. I know if it was me, in the situation where I was posed with the choice of whether to shoot a dog that was charging a kid and killing the dog or not shooting and letting the dog attack the kid, i'd opt to let the dog bite the kid. Even if the kid suffers massive injury due to the fact that the officer failed to fire on the dog, the officer can easily articulate that by shooting the dog, he would have faced disciplinary action, civil lawsuits and public embarassment for doing his job. Warren Vs. D.C. protects the officer if the officer decides to "not take action" against the dog.

I am all for rights, freedoms, etc. However, it seems that the more liberals are allowed to have a say in how things go in court, the more the police get their hands tied, and society further slides down the moral drain. Liberals have fought hard against controlled hunts where deer are overpopulating to the point where they almost starve, shooting an animal to relieve its suffering to the point where police often beg citizens to do the killing to avoid any backlash from liberal supervision or inquiries, and fought for "pets rights" to restrict the use of force against animals that are rogue, roaming, and searching for kills (even if it means small children, like in the case of the Charles County attack).

Furthermore, these lawsuits do the taxpayers no service, as when the offending government and entity pays out money, the politicians simply raise taxes to make up for the loss. So laugh it up, everytime the government pays over some sort of "johnny slipped on ice" or "Officer Joe hit gangsta Joe with the baton" it comes out of taxpayers funds. Some payouts have reached ridiculous proportions, and i'll be frank, I think that the payouts should be limited, and or cancelled altogether. For example, if you killed a cop, and then you turned around and sued, even if you win, the government should have the right to refuse paying you because you killed a government official, like in the ruby ridge case. You should also be limited in how many lawsuits you can file in a lifetime, so if you have reached your limit of 3 or 4, then you are done. No more serial litigants tying up the courts with ridiculous lawsuits.

protectmd

Http://mdean.tripod.com/immunity.html

This article is old, but very informative about law enforcement and their duty to protect you and your family from dangerous criminals and or animals (in this case), an insight on the "duty to act." It leaves you wondering why the state has further left citizens defenseless with restrictive firearms laws, whether your defending against dogs or whatever.