Sea Horses of Calvert

Your thoughts on Sea Horse Statues?

• Sea Horses are fine...I like them and they belong.

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • I think they should have chosen a crab, or gull or ?

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Who the heck cares? They'll be replaced in a year anyway by something new.

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • The only fitting symbol for Calvert is a Commuter in an SUV.

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters

Hessian

Oh I am likely to get blasted by the art-n-crafts crowd for this but...

what is it with the 5 foot tall sea horses in Calvert??? They are painted like a three year old with a set of markers, they have NOTHING to do with the history/ecology/culture of Calvert County and I honestly believe they are an eyesore.:barf:

If this a tourist thingy...pick something that relates to Calvert County! Gulls, Tobacco, Shark's teeth/fossils, Loblolly Pines, Crabs, or even Box turtles but c'mon....queerly painted Sea Horses? Who thought up that???

Give me 45 minutes, a chain, and an F-250 Pick up to solve this artistic dilemma.

Scorpion61

Did you know the Chesapeake bay is one of the best places for sea horses to live and it is full of them? There is a special on Discovery channel occasionaly about them.

SeaRide

My daughter is in middle school and she's happy about it. She did mentioned to me about it last year , I think.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
They're done by KIDS, for crying out loud. I'd rather them be painting seahorses with other kids than sitting around doing nothing or getting into trouble. I think it's a nice idea and a great way for kids to get involved in their community. :yay:

SeaRide

Originally posted by Hessian
Oh I am likely to get blasted by the art-n-crafts crowd for this but...

yes

what is it with the 5 foot tall sea horses in Calvert??? They are painted like a three year old with a set of markers, they have NOTHING to do with the history/ecology/culture of Calvert County and I honestly believe they are an eyesore.:barf:

Just to name a few.. check out the:
Seagulls in Ocean City MD
Donkeys & Elephants in Washington DC
Mooses in Park City, Utah

Like I said "just to name a few.

If this a tourist thingy...pick something that relates to Calvert County! Gulls, Tobacco, Shark's teeth/fossils, Loblolly Pines, Crabs, or even Box turtles but c'mon....queerly painted Sea Horses? Who thought up that???

I don't care why. It happens.

Hessian

Thanks for the web sites...

Looks like I'll only have to deal with them for less than a year..

"The completed Seahorses will be collected from the schools in the spring and displayed throughout the county for the remainder of the year. Upon the completion of the exhibit, the seahorses will be auctioned online..."

I'll be curious to see what they sell for.
(I should have known it was tied to public education)
(I'll need a lot longer than 45 minutes!!!)

I love the "Edu-speak" objectives of this project.

well if Chicago can have cows - I don't think its too off the wall for Calvert to have seahorses. I just wonder how long it will take before one gets kidnapped (seahorse-napped?) or vandalized or whatever. I don't think its something the planners have considered. I remember reading stories in the Post about some of the things that happened to the donkeys and elephants.

Hessian

Well...where did it go?

Looky here folks...one of them tacky seahorses is roaming free!
A reward has even been posted to lasso that free-range seahorse.

Oh the humanity.:dance:

designerxboi

Nothing to do with anything.......

When I was ten, I was really into aquatics stuff and my sister used to work @ the pier baitshop on town creek marina. One of the guys she sold worms to caught a sea horse but it died before she could bring it home to show me so she had to throw it back.

Then when my mom worked as the manager @ the bar we used to go in there with her in the mornings to help out. I was watching the water through the big glass window in the back (if anyone is familiar with when it was Town Creek Marina Bar), and I seen a baby eel or something in the water.

Then this other time I was walking on the pier to my mom's friend sally's house and I seen some ugly fish that looked like a tear drop with really sharp teeth. It was dead on the pier so I kicked it off.

"speaking of kidknapped" I'm still waiting for that stupid sponge bob statue to get kidknapped on RT 5. I love sponge bob and everything but thats just bad and cheesey.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I like them! I've seen similiar sculptures in Baltimore, and a few other places that I can't recall off hand.