Unmarried gay couples to lose health benefits

bcp

In My Opinion
Maryland to unmarried gay employees: Get married or lose benefits | WJLA.com

it would seem that in their fight to be equal, and the resulting win with gay marriage, the state has finally decided to drop the health benefits that were granted unmarried gay couples.

Marilee Lindemann runs the LGBT Studies program at the University of Maryland. She fought for benefits for unmarried gay couples and doesn't want the state to take them away.

"It's a decision that was made prematurely given the uneven landscape for gay and lesbian couples across the country," Lindemann says. "It's something that forces people into marriage."

Forces people into marriage? wait, isnt marriage what you wanted? or is it that they want greater benefits than the heterosexuals when it comes to health coverage.
Sorry about your luck, you ask, you got, now live with it.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Of course, the homosexual community wants it all, and then some, by their rules and standards. Regular rules for the masses are just not good enough. There must be a higher standard applied - if not, you are just bigoted homophobes.

"The state admits it made the change as part of the budget process, as a way to avoid having to pay equal benefits to heterosexual couples who may challenge the law in the future."

The horror, the horror, having to allow heterosexual, unmarried couples the same benefits as homosexual, unmarried couples.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Of course, the homosexual community wants it all, and then some, by their rules and standards.

My experience is that many people want it all, and then some, by their rules and standards. I raised four kids, was married twice, and deal with unreasonable people every single day for a living. This story is a "well duh" for me.

The key to success is being able to tell them "no" while thinking, but not actually saying, "ha ha".

MarieB

That was going to be my next question. Some states offer benefits to any what is usually referred to as a domestic partnership.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
That was going to be my next question. Some states offer benefits to any what is usually referred to as a domestic partnership.

Usually requires some sort of legal contract for the partnership.

.... otherwise the babe that wakes up at my house on Sunday could use my health insurance on Monday

MarieB

Usually requires some sort of legal contract for the partnership.

.... otherwise the babe that wakes up at my house on Sunday could use my health insurance on Monday

Yeah, there are criteria. I think in WA you had to register with the state. (On a side note, State of WA defines marriage as being between a man and woman)

When I lived in WA, I worked for a company that was rewarded a contract with the city of Seattle. One of the conditions of the contract was that I had to develope a domestic partnership policy that would permit domestic partner coverage on our health plan.