Cloning

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Personally, I love my pets just as if they were children, but the idea of cloning is just sick to me.  I wouldn't want it done to me much less my pets.  How could anyone expect you to grieve or overcome death if we kept cloning everything?  I don't think it should be allowed unless it is done to save someones life.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
No thanks - one Moosie is more than enough!  Also there are so many kitties out there already that I'd just get one of them rather than re-create my current cats.  I love my kitties but I'd love a new kitty just as much.

seasquirt

Vermicious Knid
No way. I think it would be an insult to my dog's memory. He is one-of-a-kind, not replaceable. Besides, he would still be a different dog, because he would have an entirely new set of experiences.

I'd rather stuff my dog and put him on the mantle... just kidding!!!

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
No thanks.  Bear-Dog is one of a kind and he has allergies.  Even if he didn't, I wouldn't do it.  Cloning doesn't guarantee that an animal will have the same personality.  I have twins sons, they are genetically the same, their personalities are not.

S

ShellyCW

I must agree with everyone about pet cloning.  My current cat was a shelter adoption.  When she dies (god forbid) I'd probably want to give another kitten a chance for a good home.  

On the other hand-- cloning her and selling copies could probably make us millions of dollars, because she is the most adorable cat ever.   :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This may be kind of a nutty thing to be concerned about but:

Does CC (the cloned kitty) live in that lab?  It makes me sad to think that she may be living in some cage with no one who loves her - just a lab experiment.  I like to think that, because she's such a cutie, the scientists can't help but fall in love with her and give her lots of affection.  Does anyone know about her conditions?

Lilly

The Original Lilly
I don't understand how some people can actually consider this.  Am I the only one who read/ saw Pet Semetary???

Lilly

The Original Lilly
I still think that was the scariest part of the movie "Daddy . . . you hurt me . . . "
**shiver**

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I know and he was so cute to start out, then turned into that monster and bitup the old neighbor guy.

SxyPrincess

If I were guaranteed my cat would be the EXACT same, I would definately do it.  Where else am I going to find a cat that likes the water as much as he does?

seasquirt

Vermicious Knid
Heh heh heh. Sxy, my former roommate had a kitten named Cajun. Cajun will jump in the sink when you're washing your hands, jump in the shower when it's on, and jump in the bathtub when it's full and start paddling around!

Vraiblonde,

About the cloned kitty:  I saw in on the news and the scientists were saying that she would live in a normal environment, with some tests done every now and then.  They said the only way they would take her back to the lab is if some major problems with her health started happening and they needed to moniter her closely.  Hopefully they were telling the truth, and not just saying that to get people off their backs.  

Kara~

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Thanks Kara.  I looked all over the Internet trying to find information - it was bothering me.

I have to tell you that, while I'm not a PETA person or anything like that, I'm really not comfortable with animal experimentation.  I can understand that they experiment on animals to develop and test new things that could benefit man but at some point you have to draw the line.  Is the goal behind this to eventually clone humans for parts?  We discussed this in a previous forum but it never really went anywhere.  Is there going to really be some humanitarian benefit to all this or is it just a bunch of scientists going, "Cool!  Look what we can do!"?

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
...reminds me of the movie "The 6th Day" (Arnold Schwartznegger) where he took the family dog to "Repet" to have it cloned because it got hit by a car.

jellybean

Just a bit of an update- I read that at this time it costs $200,000 to clone a pet, but expect the price to eventually drop to a mere $20,000! Outrageous I say.. How many other animals could be saved, neutered, or pet care fees for the elderly people (that can't afford vet bills) paid with that amount of money!

I just adopted a stray cat, took her to the vet for a couple of shots and an ear infection and it was over $200. Neutering and declawing still to be done. I could use a bit of that $$$!