Is it OK?...

OldBlue

For someone to pick up their kids from school in a HVFD emergency command vehicle? I can understand parking in front of the grocery, stopping for food, etc... But picking up your kids from elementary school?

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I'd have to give the driver the benefit of the doubt, thinking that there were numerous times that the rescue/fire personnel left their family at home to go to an emergency.

General Lee

I'd have to give the driver the benefit of the doubt, thinking that there were numerous times that the rescue/fire personnel left their family at home to go to an emergency.

I agree, but here is my take. This person may be a chief, station officer etc who is on duty to respond. It is common for them to take the vehicle home for their run shift. However it doesn't do them any good to respond lights and siren, speeding etc with their own kids in the vehicle.

OldBlue

I agree, but here is my take. This person may be a chief, station officer etc who is on duty to respond. It is common for them to take the vehicle home for their run shift. However it doesn't do them any good to respond lights and siren, speeding etc with their own kids in the vehicle.

He didn't look old enough to be someone in charge. He wasn't in uniform.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
He didn't look old enough to be someone in charge. He wasn't in uniform.

Volunteers do not wear uniforms everyday. As far as the didn't look old enough statement, I have found that in my personal experience, that the older I get the worse of a judge I become a guessing ages.

glhs837

Power with Control
I have seen LEOs pick up their kids in squad cars. :shrug:

But LEOs vehicles, here in St Marys at least, are "take home cars" and are given to them to drive even off shift, rescue squad vehicles, as far as I know are not.

ladyhawk

For someone to pick up their kids from school in a HVFD emergency command vehicle? I can understand parking in front of the grocery, stopping for food, etc... But picking up your kids from elementary school?

How is it okay at the grocery store, stopping for food, etc.. but not okay to pick their kids up? They are either allowed to make side stops or they are not.. If they are, I don't see what the big deal is....

June

itsrequired

I don't see the big deal with either the fire truck prom invite or the guy picking his kids up. These people are volunteers. They save us plenty of money by not being paid to be a fire fighter or EMT. If they want to drive to the school to ask someone for prom or to pick their kids up...have at it as long as they aren't taking away from some call for service.

glhs837

Power with Control
How is it okay at the grocery store, stopping for food, etc.. but not okay to pick their kids up? They are either allowed to make side stops or they are not.. If they are, I don't see what the big deal is....

June

Because they could be shopping for food for the firehouse.

DannyMotorcycle

I was just seeing that too, wondering why they take firetrucks to grocery stores and such. I'm sure the trucks get enough action so that they dont' sit idle and dry rott tires etc.. I guess it's ok though, if it's used every day, then you're more likely to find problems with it during a non emergency.

MMDad

Lem Putt
I was just seeing that too, wondering why they take firetrucks to grocery stores and such. I'm sure the trucks get enough action so that they dont' sit idle and dry rott tires etc.. I guess it's ok though, if it's used every day, then you're more likely to find problems with it during a non emergency.

If the duty crew is at the grocery store without the engine and a call comes in, they have to go back and get the engine before they can respond. If they have the engine with them they just get in and go. If your house was on fire would an extra five minutes matter?

GW8345

Not White House Approved
Not to be snarky but what business is it of anyone if one of the volunteers uses a non-county vehicle to pick up their kid from school?

Those volunteers are not county employees, your tax dollars are not being spent on those vehicles so what if one of the volunteers uses it to pick up their kid because something may have happened to prevent someone else from picking the kid up. What would rather have happen the kid sit at school because daddy can't come and get him/her because he's volunteering to help in the event of an emergency.

Maybe instead of asking if it was ok, you say thanks those volunteers for they serve to help you because they volunteer to be there to help you in your time of need.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Not to be snarky but what business is it of anyone if one of the volunteers uses a non-county vehicle to pick up their kid from school?

Those volunteers are not county employees, your tax dollars are not being spent on those vehicles so what if one of the volunteers uses it to pick up their kid because something may have happened to prevent someone else from picking the kid up. What would rather have happen the kid sit at school because daddy can't come and get him/her because he's volunteering to help in the event of an emergency.

Maybe instead of asking if it was ok, you say thanks those volunteers for they serve to help you because they volunteer to be there to help you in your time of need.

St. Mary's has a fire tax. Taxpayer dollars do go to purchase the vehicles. The taxpayers do have a right to question their use.

GW8345

Not White House Approved
St. Mary's has a fire tax. Taxpayer dollars do go to purchase the vehicles. The taxpayers do have a right to question their use.

I tried to research that and found a 2010 document that said those vehicles are not county owned.

Page 7
Registration of non-County owned vehicles is the responsibility of the owning entity (i.e., Volunteer Fire Departments and State-owned Health Department vehicles).
http://www.stmarysmd.com/docs/Trans...Procedures Manual Final October -2010.pdf.pdf

I am probably wrong about the tax dollar thing but my statement about who's business is it still stands.

Lilypad

Last time I checked most volunteer agencies receive county money (tax payers) for daily operations-fuel, utilities, equipment, supplies, etc...