Yard sale? Really.

RidgeChick

Took my mom shopping Saturday and we ran across this place :

New Page 1

Used items, and also lots of new. Obviously an on-going business - They had 2 box trucks with furniture items and sell refreshments as well. My question: as this is obviously a thrift store run from a home - do they pay taxes-- should they? For some reason, the whole set-up struck me as wrong and we just left......

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
They say on the page "Picking up two estates weekend of June 1st ....." so my guess is they either buy up at estate auctions or represent the estate outright. They are obviously professional flea marketers, and that wouldn't put me off. I love a deal!

I think the people at 235 & Mervell Dean do the same thing because they typically have a boat load of new looking furniture and accessories sitting out on the weekend. They would be set up as a business and be paying taxes accordingly.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
They say on the page "Picking up two estates weekend of June 1st ....." so my guess is they either buy up at estate auctions or represent the estate outright. They are obviously professional flea marketers, and that wouldn't put me off. I love a deal!

I think the people at 235 & Mervell Dean do the same thing because they typically have a boat load of new looking furniture and accessories sitting out on the weekend. They would be set up as a business and be paying taxes accordingly.

They haven't had one for awhile now :knocksonwood: Due to their location, the parking SUCKS and it can be a cluster#### to get through there because of people parking in the road and partially blocking traffic. Having his every weekend Buy My #### sale may have garnered enough complaints to have had him shut it down.

sockgirl77

They haven't had one for awhile now :knocksonwood: Due to their location, the parking SUCKS and it can be a cluster#### to get through there because of people parking in the road and partially blocking traffic. Having his every weekend Buy My #### sale may have garnered enough complaints to have had him shut it down.

My grandmother (who always has the scoop in Hollywood) says that the County told him that he could only do a yard sale once a month now. :yahoo:

JeJeTe

Happiness
Took my mom shopping Saturday and we ran across this place :

New Page 1

Used items, and also lots of new. Obviously an on-going business - They had 2 box trucks with furniture items and sell refreshments as well. My question: as this is obviously a thrift store run from a home - do they pay taxes-- should they? For some reason, the whole set-up struck me as wrong and we just left......

I don't know whether it's legit or not but I know they have done this for years. :shrug:

BernieP

Resident PIA

Wasn't this a subject of legal action by the county - claiming they were in fact running a commercial operation out of their home. Yard sales are apparently looked at as an exception.

But if they or anyone else is running frequemt "yard sales" they are not only violating zoning codes but are not collecting sales tax. OweMalley will come and get em.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Wasn't this a subject of legal action by the county - claiming they were in fact running a commercial operation out of their home. Yard sales are apparently looked at as an exception.

But if they or anyone else is running frequemt "yard sales" they are not only violating zoning codes but are not collecting sales tax. OweMalley will come and get em.

I think so, but that memory is pretty vague. I thought there was a thread about it, but I can't seem to find it.

RidgeChick

I guess its a gray area, just seemed weird to me. And they did have some new stuff as well. I remember the Mervell Dean one and thought they got in trouble - so that's another reason I wondered. Weekly 'yard sales' with new merchandise - seems shifty to me.

Roman

I guess its a gray area, just seemed weird to me. And they did have some new stuff as well. I remember the Mervell Dean one and thought they got in trouble - so that's another reason I wondered. Weekly 'yard sales' with new merchandise - seems shifty to me.
You see a lot of this kind of Yard Sales in Florida.

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...
Sooooooo sorry about the bump to the old 'yard sale' thread. I thought I was in this one still. Duh!!!

Go ahead I can take it :geek:

:coffee: