Solar Panels as Inexpensive as Paint?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
"May 13, 2013 — Most Americans want the U.S. to place more emphasis on developing solar power, recent polls suggest. A major impediment, however, is the cost to manufacture, install and maintain solar panels. Simply put, most people and businesses cannot afford to place them on their rooftops.

Fortunately, that is changing because researchers such as Qiaoqiang Gan, University at Buffalo assistant professor of electrical engineering, are helping develop a new generation of photovoltaic cells that produce more power and cost less to manufacture than what's available today."

Solar panels as inexpensive as paint?

glhs837

Power with Control
Thats cause we suck, and are only really innovative at the end of a regulatory cannon. :sarcasm:People are only wanting to deploy them based on the BS economics of subsidy. Remove that prop, and solar is useless in a residential application.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Thats cause we suck, and are only really innovative at the end of a regulatory cannon. :sarcasm:People are only wanting to deploy them based on the BS economics of subsidy. Remove that prop, and solar is useless in a residential application.

I'd argue we are innovative as hell ABSENT the regulatory cannon.

SamSpade

People have been musing about residential solar all my life, and the bitch of it is, it still ain't giving us the bang we want for the money required. So innovation really isn't making a difference, because there's no demand. And there isn't going to be any serious demand until the technology makes it competitive with what we have.

I remember having this argument in high school with the guy who went on to found Solyndra. He was a classmate of mine. He was convinced that enough government investment in solar power would make it competitive. This was back in the 70's.

Government subsidies are intended to boost demand by encouraging adoption of solar, and thus lower the cost of solar. It ain't working, because unless you GIVE the stuff away, there's still very little demand for a few panels that might let you turn on your lights but still won't power your fridge or clothes dryer. Consumers want to replace their power or significantly lower their power cost. Unless you typically use very little electricity, it's still not there yet.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I remember having this argument in high school with the guy who went on to found Solyndra. He was a classmate of mine. He was convinced that enough government investment in solar power would make it competitive. This was back in the 70's.

Cool!

See, that's the thing. Government money PREVENTS the sort of innovation solar and wind need.

Now, would you say he simply doesn't understand that reality and is sincere, no matter how dumb he may really be, or is he the kind of person who knows damn well how that works but, simply knows how to, and wants to, manipulate things for personal gain?

:popcorn:

SamSpade

Now, would you say he simply doesn't understand that reality and is sincere, no matter how dumb he may really be, or is he the kind of person who knows damn well how that works but, simply knows how to, and wants to, manipulate things for personal gain?

:popcorn:

He was seriously one of the smartest people I ever knew. He was one of our top chess players as a freshman. Also among that same crowd was that guy who died of pancreatic cancer a couple years back who became famous delivering "The Last Lecture". Bunch of really smart guys.

But he also left Solyndra before the #### really hit the fan. He's usually the guy you see in the pale blue shirt talking to the President - but he left before most of the news we know about. He was definitely an idealist.

We were actually debating over nuclear power versus solar, with me a strong advocate for nuclear. I think when you're in high school at the height of the Carter era with energy prices sky-high, it's easy to believe the answer is right around the corner. I do have to hand it to him for achieving so very much.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
He was seriously one of the smartest people I ever knew. He was one of our top chess players as a freshman. Also among that same crowd was that guy who died of pancreatic cancer a couple years back who became famous delivering "The Last Lecture". Bunch of really smart guys.

But he also left Solyndra before the #### really hit the fan. He's usually the guy you see in the pale blue shirt talking to the President - but he left before most of the news we know about. He was definitely an idealist.

We were actually debating over nuclear power versus solar, with me a strong advocate for nuclear. I think when you're in high school at the height of the Carter era with energy prices sky-high, it's easy to believe the answer is right around the corner. I do have to hand it to him for achieving so very much.

Good stuff.

I mean, I get the implications to a guy who is sincere; 'all we need is the money! Government can really help!' Those folks are well intentioned and motivated. But, real world, the motivation to REALLY get after it comes from the product HAVING to work, to deliver, to make money. There is NO larger impediment to commercially successful solar than government subsidy.

I've known a lot of really smart people in my life who don't get that. Including some guys who used to stomp my ass, mercilessly, on the chess board! :lol:

:buddies:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Strategies to Achieve Net-Zero Energy Homes

"May 15, 2013 — Chances are you know how many miles your car logs for each gallon or tankful of gas, but you probably have only a foggy idea of how much energy your house consumes, even though home energy expenditures often account for a larger share of the household budget.

This disparity in useful energy data is just one of several information gaps that must be bridged as the United States transitions towards residences that generate as much energy as they use over the course of a year -- so-called net-zero houses."

Strategies to achieve net-zero energy homes

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !

That is REALLY VERY SAD but it doesn't surprise me. This Country seems to operate with a goal to get products at the cheapest cost possible in many cases.

I stopped buying things that say Made in China. When enough of us do that, this Country will start making most of it's own goods again (right?), and our dollars can support OUR Country instead of China's economy. Imports are fine as long as they don't dominate the total amount in goods purchased by Americans.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That is REALLY VERY SAD but it doesn't surprise me. This Country seems to operate with a goal to get products at the cheapest cost possible in many cases.

OK, but, we lost sight of a simple truism;

The best IS the cheapest.

Quality is it's own bargain.