Would you do this? Camphost

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Volunteer to work in a (state, national) park. In exchange for lodging or a place to put an RV/trailer.

Budgets have been cut and many parks are relying on volunteer to fill in the gaps. Give them a few hours of work each week to be able to stay in the park.

Some parks even come with rustic cabins as accomodations. The picture is a 2 floor cabin used by the volunteers in a state park.

Attachments

• ktn4 001.jpg
    ktn4 001.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 307

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Volunteer to work in a (state, national) park. In exchange for lodging or a place to put an RV/trailer.

Budgets have been cut and many parks are relying on volunteer to fill in the gaps. Give them a few hours of work each week to be able to stay in the park.

Some parks even come with rustic cabins as accomodations. The picture is a 2 floor cabin used by the volunteers in a state park.

My parents have done it for years.

Heck yeah, if they pay electric. People at Big Bend WV where I used to go seemed pretty well set up. Would not want to be there in winter though. Fishing every morning, beautiful setting. Long way to town. Might have to set up a still in the woods. Probably hook up with locals that could help me out there though.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
I know people that do it, they enjoy it very much. I'd do it if I had a nice RV and I know exactly which park I'd want to stay at.

I love that little cabin in the pic. I'd live there.

bcp

In My Opinion
If I was not married with child starting college, I would hook up the RV and be on my way right now instead of typing this response.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I would absolutely do that! Get to travel around, stay for free in exchange for a little work - heck yeah!

I would absolutely do that! Get to travel around, stay for free in exchange for a little work - heck yeah!

The place I have in mind has no cell phone reception and you get one radio station. "Mrs. Cooley's cow had a calf last night" was the first news story I heard. :lol:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Hell NO

When I go on vacation I don't want to cook or clean or wash dishes or cut grass or any of the stuff I have to do every freaking day.

I want an attractive young person to seat me at a table and bring me what ever I want to eat and to ensure I have everything I need while I'm there.
I want somebody to make my bed and clean my bathroom every freakin' day.

I want to swim in a pool somebody else cleans or the ocean at a private beach.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Hell NO

When I go on vacation I don't want to cook or clean or wash dishes or cut grass or any of the stuff I have to do every freaking day. .

Good point. I made the assumption the OP was talking about retired folks. I agree with you, for a vacation, no way.

:buddies:

bcp

In My Opinion
Hell NO

When I go on vacation I don't want to cook or clean or wash dishes or cut grass or any of the stuff I have to do every freaking day.

I want an attractive young person to seat me at a table and bring me what ever I want to eat and to ensure I have everything I need while I'm there.

I want to swim in a pool somebody else cleans or the ocean at a private beach.
I want to use silverware that was used by some nasty person to scratch their head right before it somehow slipped past the insufficient cleaning station.
I want to sleep on a splooge stained bed tossing and turning all night from the bed bugs while I totally coat myself in some strangers left over love juice
I want to wonder what the rash is on my butt that showed up shortly after taking a dump.

Not for me.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Hell NO

I want to swim in a pool somebody else cleans or the ocean at a private beach

Dang, you sure know how to camp. :buddies:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I want to use silverware that was used by some nasty person to scratch their head right before it somehow slipped past the insufficient cleaning station.
I want to sleep on a splooge stained bed tossing and turning all night from the bed bugs while I totally coat myself in some strangers left over love juice
I want to wonder what the rash is on my butt that showed up shortly after taking a dump.

Not for me.

Dude, you totally need to start eating in better restaurants and staying in better hotels.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I can be a vacation or not. It depends on the agreement.

I've done a few stints with different state/national parks. It's been as short as 2 weeks and as long as 3 months. They have many different slots. You could work in a campground, gifts shop, help on the trail crews.

Then there are the concessionaires that have contracts in national parks. They need all sorts of folks for the season. They provide 3 hots and a cot in addition to pay. The best part I found with those arrangements is the ability to explore the park thoroughly. You can't do that in a week. And you're not doing it on your dime. I got to spend a summer in Yellowstone NP. Well worth it for me. YMMV

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I can be a vacation or not. It depends on the agreement.

I've done a few stints with different state/national parks. It's been as short as 2 weeks and as long as 3 months. They have many different slots. You could work in a campground, gifts shop, help on the trail crews.

Then there are the concessionaires that have contracts in national parks. They need all sorts of folks for the season. They provide 3 hots and a cot in addition to pay. The best part I found with those arrangements is the ability to explore the park thoroughly. You can't do that in a week. And you're not doing it on your dime. I got to spend a summer in Yellowstone NP. Well worth it for me. YMMV

Our plan would be to value add and offer classes in the local flora and fauna (for our own interest as well as the campers) culinary uses, habitat impact, local geological interests, water table and quality and, ultimately, the combination of the two, the local agriculture and water, and the only real purpose for both; beer.

Then, we'd offer a follow on unit in beer drinking but, not just any beer drinking. Local beer drinking.

:buddies:

ZARA

Damn straight. I consider the Best Western as roughing it

OMG Some Best Western's you really are roughing it! I had driven from Corpus to Pensacola, arrived in P'cola around 0300 and was dead tried. I was suppose to stay with my befri but when we got to her house the AC was broke and it was 90 degrees inside. OH HELL NO. We packed her, my God Daughter up, told her hubs we were staying in a hotel. Went to Best Western and got a room. I had to bang the door open with my hips (yay thunder thighs!), stepped in and the room smelled of MOLD, saw roaches running around, and the door would not close! We left ASAP. Bleh.