House for sale in the CRE

The Dude

You mean coitus?
So I was looking at a house for sale on the bay in Lusby. Really nice home, (as far as I can tell), with floor to ceiling windows that look out to a deck with an amazing view of the bay.

Then someone pointed out to me that it was in CRE and my initial thought was "No f-ing way would I look into buying a place there", especially after what I have read on this forum.

What I'm curious to know, is it really as bad as this forum makes it out to be? I am fairly quiet (except for my car), keep to myself and am pretty laid back.
Just want make sure I cover all my bases before I totally say no to a house in the CRE.

Pushrod

Patriot
So I was looking at a house for sale on the bay in Lusby. Really nice home, (as far as I can tell), with floor to ceiling windows that look out to a deck with an amazing view of the bay.

Then someone pointed out to me that it was in CRE and my initial thought was "No f-ing way would I look into buying a place there", especially after what I have read on this forum.

What I'm curious to know, is it really as bad as this forum makes it out to be? I am fairly quiet (except for my car), keep to myself and am pretty laid back.
Just want make sure I cover all my bases before I totally say no to a house in the CRE.

I've lived in the CRE for 17 years. I don't know what all the negative hype is about. It's a cross section of all of Calvert County. No better or no worse. It has some really nice waterfront homes and decent amenities around the community. I guess there will always be haters of any area.

The Dude

You mean coitus?
One advantage to CRE, if the nuclear power plant blows, you will be one of the first to die.

True. Then maybe in 25 years when the make a movie called "Calvert Cliffs Diaries", I'll be able to come back as a flesh eating zombie.

The Dude

You mean coitus?
I've lived in the CRE for 17 years. I don't know what all the negative hype is about. It's a cross section of all of Calvert County. No better or no worse. It has some really nice waterfront homes and decent amenities around the community. I guess there will always be haters of any area.

I have been hearing a lot about the property values there dropping, so there is some concern there as well.

I know there are always going to be some haters, but some of the threads on this forum have been pretty harsh. I also looked at the wording of the bylaws and am a little concerned about that too. If someone thinks my car is too loud (modified exhaust), to the point where it "annoys" them, I could apparently have a problem.

Pushrod

Patriot
I have been hearing a lot about the property values there dropping, so there is some concern there as well.

I know there are always going to be some haters, but some of the threads on this forum have been pretty harsh. I also looked at the wording of the bylaws and am a little concerned about that too. If someone thinks my car is too loud (modified exhaust), to the point where it "annoys" them, I could apparently have a problem.

Possible I guess. I have two Harley's that I ride through there constantly, one has straight pipes that are quite loud and I have never had anyone complain.

As far as property values, yeah, they are dropping because of the short sales and forclosures that are still hitting the market hard in Calvert County, which means it is a buyers market.

daisy

We have lived in CRE for 8 years and have had no issues. I do "Get" what other people are saying, if I lived in one of the pockets in the neighborhood that kept having problems over and over again I'd probably speak out about it as well.

We are in a very quiet section, our street, the street we are off of, and even the "drive" that that one is off of are all quiet and uneventful. Pulling the crime maps and offender maps, we have a large radius around us without any..it is definitely possible to live in CRE and have none of the issues that people so commonly come on here and talk about.

If I were to move into another house in CRE at this point, I'd just be sure to do my research well. Research the street its on and the 3 or so closest to it. Pull crime maps, offender maps, etc. Pull up case searches on the neighbors, look around at how many people are outside (families with kids, single people) just doing normal things like washing the car or sitting on the porch. The normal day-to-day in our area of the neighborhood is: lots of kids playing in yards, riding bikes, parents sitting outside chatting or gardening...If the area the house is in is all "locked down" looking, there's probably a reason for it.

Its DEFINITELY possible to live here and not have any issues, that's been our experience - THANK GOODNESS!!...but its just as possible to buy in a "bad section."

I love our home and our neighbors, so with that said, I don't regret buying in CRE, and I wouldn't dissuade someone else from doing the same -- so long as you do your research first!

The Dude

You mean coitus?
Possible I guess. I have two Harley's that I ride through there constantly, one has straight pipes that are quite loud and I have never had anyone complain.

As far as property values, yeah, they are dropping because of the short sales and forclosures that are still hitting the market hard in Calvert County, which means it is a buyers market.

That's good to hear about the bike.

Like daisy said, I just need to do my due diligence and go from there. Plus I need to make sure I want to go back to the commuter bus from St. Leonard to DC....that's a long trip!

dan0623_2000

Cre

I have found that a big majority of the people that bad mouth the Ranch estates are people who do not live there and/or lived there but refused to pay their HOA fees and the HOA took legal action against them.

I have lived there for many years and never have had a problem. I do not lock my cars and sometimes we even forget to lock the house. Never has anything been stolen.

The Ranch estates is like any other American small town. It has good areas and not so good areas. It has some really good people and some real low lifes.

The Dude

You mean coitus?
I have found that a big majority of the people that bad mouth the Ranch estates are people who do not live there and/or lived there but refused to pay their HOA fees and the HOA took legal action against them.

I have lived there for many years and never have had a problem. I do not lock my cars and sometimes we even forget to lock the house. Never has anything been stolen.

The Ranch estates is like any other American small town. It has good areas and not so good areas. It has some really good people and some real low lifes.

Thanks, this is good to know. I think am less concerned with the people who there and more concerned with property values (specific to the CRE), pollution of the lake (specific in the CRE), and a HOA (in general, because I have never lived in one).
I know people are going to vary and as long as I can just do my thing and not have a problem them I'm good.

It's nice to hear some positive things about the area anyway... :whistle:

MarieB

I don't know anything about CRE, but I agree with the poster who mentioned that you should check out the neighborhood to see if people are outside, etc especially during this nice weather. Whenever we have house shopped, we always made sure to drive through during the day AND after dark. Understanding the bylaws is also very important, and deciding if you can live with them. Knowing if there are any expected increases in fees would be good too

Goldenhawk

I saw an MLS listing for a beautiful CRE home with a wonderful waterfront bay view, priced at a steal (well below $100K)... I looked closer and it was a cliff-hanging home on Laramie Lane. Well, it's cliff-hanging NOW, at least. In a couple years or less, it will be gone due to erosion. Be really careful about any homes along the bay cliffs.

The Dude

You mean coitus?
That is probably the house I was looking at. I didn't bring up the thing about the cliffs, partly because there was a huge thread about that a couple of months ago and I needed to do my own research.

Beta84

They're out to get us

Is it located on the cliffs? If so, you should definitely buy, ASAP. The house may not be there much longer and you want to get in as much time as you can.

The Dude

You mean coitus?
Is it located on the cliffs? If so, you should definitely buy, ASAP. The house may not be there much longer and you want to get in as much time as you can.

Another great point. Then I can watch the house fall into the water and collect on the taxpayer bailout money. Looks like a win, win for me!

CalvertActiv

If by "on the bay" you mean on the cliffs I would stay away. People are trying to dump those houses on unsuspecting buyers who think they are getting a great deal. You can't protect your house and property and the cliffs are not going to stop eroding. Lose-lose.

CalvertActiv

I saw an MLS listing for a beautiful CRE home with a wonderful waterfront bay view, priced at a steal (well below $100K)... I looked closer and it was a cliff-hanging home on Laramie Lane. Well, it's cliff-hanging NOW, at least. In a couple years or less, it will be gone due to erosion. Be really careful about any homes along the bay cliffs.

It amazes me that these houses are: 1 - allowed to be sold, and 2 - can get home insurance.

Foxhound

Finishing last
I've been living in the CRE since 2004. I love where I live. I have had a few problem neighbors, some have moved on, some have not. I have had some good neighbors, same situation.

My real concern would be the cliffs. I have a friend who recently sold his home that was waterfront. One of the few that are not cliff waterfront properties. If I had had the finances to buy it I would have, a beautiful home, in a well mannered section of the CRE. I live one block from this house and still like where I live.

I always feel like I am getting away to the woods when I go home. If you are serious about buying. Go see the neighborhood. Walk around a little. Meet the people.

M2C