Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Around the yard

Quote Originally Posted by sm8 View Post
    We had one that kept coming in my daughters room last year, it had an odd mark so we knew it was the same one. I would drop a clear plastic shoe box on him then carefully slide cardboard under and wait for him to get on the card board to carry him out. I was worried if I just grabbed him I would make him drop his tail. We did that several times a day for over a week.
    There is one that I caught last year and he was having none of it! He is huge, almost 7 inches long and and as soon as I caught him, he turned his head, grabbed ahold of the fleshy part of my thumb and then proceeded to do an alligator roll while still attached to me.

The whole time I'm yelling at him, "Hey! Hey! Hey! Stop that!" Of course I am stubborn and would not let him go. He finally stopped because his body could not turn any farther unless he let go and he didn't want to let go!

My husband was laughing at me shaking his head. My hand was bleeding. And I'm checking out all his cool markings because I have never seen a skink with splotch marked coloring before. He was goldish(?) with whiteish splotches. I finally let him go and got to see him again this year by my AC units. He runs like crazy when he sees me though...lol

This is why god, (or was it Hav-a-lawn?) invented chickens.

Wanna see some entomological genocide, get you some chickens and enjoy the carnage. All I can say is that it's a damn good thing they are not much bigger than they are.

ADHD; Interdisciplinary

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
    Wanna see some entomological genocide, get you some chickens and enjoy the carnage. All I can say is that it's a damn good thing they are not much bigger than they are.
    lol That's just wrong!! I love having tons of lizards & frogs in my yard. Means less bugs! I won't use pesticides because I don't want any of the wild life to become sick. Lizards are frogs are Mother Nature's pesticide.

Plus they provide me with amusement. I enjoy the wild life more than I enjoy people.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post

That makes me kind of sad because we are planning on getting chickens but I really enjoy the little toads we have all over the yard.

This guy was sunning himself on the apron of our garage yesterday. Never seen one this big before. My youngest son crowned him "King of the Lizards".
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by RareBreed View Post
    This guy was sunning himself on the apron of our garage yesterday. Never seen one this big before. My youngest son crowned him "King of the Lizards".
    Looks like you found the Broad Headed Skink, MDs largest lizard. Had one in my garage last week also....

Broad-headed Skink: Field Guide to Maryland's Snakes (Order Squamata)- Discover Maryland's Herps - Wildlife and Heritage Service - Maryland Department of Natural Resources
    "I aim to misbehave."

My son and I were eating dinner on the deck while the power was out and talking. I had fabulous company and a great view. Then I see movement about 400 feet away, now I didn’t have my glasses on and without them I suffer from CSS with anything farther than 6 or 7 feet away.

Me: What is that?
    Son: What?
    Me: Over there…is it a squirrel?
    Son: Where?
    Me: Straight across the yard. It doesn’t move like a squirrel. I need my glasses, be right back.
    *In unison* Me: …it’s a turtle. Son: It’s a turtle.
    Me: I need my camera.
    Son: I thought you were talking about the stick.
    Me:
    *Walks over to the turtle...with the fearless hunter at our side*
    Me: Ohhhh cool…
    Son: It’s a snapping turtle…I didn’t know they had them here…
    Me: Me either, check out those claws!
    Fritz: *Sniff sniff* *WTH is that?*
    Me: Get back Fritz, you don't want him to bite you.
    Fritz: *Gets closer*
    Me: *Smacks Fritz*
    Fritz: *Jumps two feet in air and then stands behind me...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2881.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	96255   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2882.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	96256   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2883.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	96257   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2884.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	96258  

I thought I was the only lizards and frog lover!

Name:	IMG_0853.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	96261   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0857.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	96262   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0863.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	129.1 KB 
ID:	96263   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0869.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	96264   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0874.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	96265  
    "the pain passes but the beauty remains...."

One more of 2 lizards on a tree and my one-eyed, crippled foot frog that lived on/around my porch a couple of summers ago.

Name:	IMG_0876.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	96266   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1752.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	96267  
    Last edited by Independence; 06-14-2013 at 09:00 AM.
    "the pain passes but the beauty remains...."

Quote Originally Posted by Independence View Post
    I thought I was the only lizards and frog lover!

One more of 2 lizards on a tree and my one-eyed, crippled foot frog that lived on/around my porch last a couple of summers ago.
    You are not the only one! I pretty much go googoo over any animal. But Lizards are my favorite.

I raised 300 tree frogs last year and released them at my creek.
    Gray Tree Frog - Tree Frogs (Family Hylidae)- Discover Maryland's Herps - Wildlife and Heritage Service - Maryland Department of Natural Resources

Damn frogs kept skinny dipping in my pool and leaving eggs behind...

That looks like an Eastern Fence Lizard. I haven't seen any here yet. I used to catch them all the time in Florida. Fast lil buggers.

Awww poor toad!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.