Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Around the yard

Momma is back. I was getting worried because we hadn't seen her since this morning. I thought maybe we scared her off by discovering her nest. She is redigging one of the openings that collapsed a little from mowing. There is a bird and a squirrel a few feet from her and everyone is going about their business. I have seen squirrels and rabbits fight in our yard before.

While watching Momma, I spotted a deer in our woods too.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by RareBreed View Post
    Momma is back. I was getting worried because we hadn't seen her since this morning. I thought maybe we scared her off by discovering her nest. She is redigging one of the openings that collapsed a little from mowing. There is a bird and a squirrel a few feet from her and everyone is going about their business. I have seen squirrels and rabbits fight in our yard before.
    Momma is gone. I haven't seen her since Saturday night. Either she got hit by a car or decided our yard wasn't the ideal place to have her babies.

Quote Originally Posted by ZARA View Post
    Some more to share

(Eastern worm snake)

He was lucky Hubs didn't cut him in half while digging holes for our trees. Destroyed his home but at least he survived.
    The fourth pic where you're holding your hand up and the SNAKE is crawling through your fingers is a really neat shot! We've got lizards, snakes, frogs, bunnies, deer, etc. all hanging out in our yard. They don't bother me unless they get inside! Well, except the snakes. They bother me a lot!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by belvak View Post
    The fourth pic where you're holding your hand up and the SNAKE is crawling through your fingers is a really neat shot! We've got lizards, snakes, frogs, bunnies, deer, etc. all hanging out in our yard. They don't bother me unless they get inside! Well, except the snakes. They bother me a lot!!!
    Thanks! Sometimes I get some great shots with my POS camera. But I usually end up taking about 30 to 50 pics before I get any that are quality. And that lil snake did not want to cooperate with me at all.

Snakes are easy to handle if you keep in mind a few important facts.

There are only 2 types of venomous snakes in Maryland, the copperhead and timber rattlesnake. Both have very distinctive features that make them easily identifiable.
    1. Both have strong triangular/heart shaped heads.
    2. Copperheads are copperish/orangish/tannish in coloring and have triangular marking along their bodies. Their bodies have sleek smooth scaling without protrusions.
    3. Timber rattlesnakes range in color from a bright yellow to a dull gray with brown or black stripes down its body. The scaling on their body is slightly elevated and not smooth. And the most noticeable feature is its rattle. If you hear it, stop moving, take a GOOD look around and locate it. Do not ever run because you can easily run right into without even realizing it. *If you do see one, very slowly back away in the opposite direction and once you have about 10 ft distance or more...walk quickly.* According to the State website they are not located down here where we are.

So, if you see a snake that is not the two listed above, you are safe. Most snakes are terrified of you and they just want to get away.

Field Guide to Maryland's Snakes (Order Squamata)- Discover Maryland's Herps - Wildlife and Heritage Service - Maryland Department of Natural Resources
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copperhead in Water.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	96405   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CopperheadWith Young.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	96406   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copprehead.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	96407   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	timber rattler.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	96408   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	timber rattler2.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	96409  
    Last edited by ZARA; 06-20-2013 at 09:28 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.