Chris Matthews

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
I have a hard time identifying whether he is liberal or conservative, but I think that's one of the things I like about him.

He asks the hard questions no matter who he's talking to. And he seems to me to have a lot of common sense.

Where exactly does he fall on the political spectrum? I really don't know much about him except for the occasional flipping through the channels and watching him in 5 minute excerpts.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Originally posted by sleuth14
I have a hard time identifying whether he is liberal or conservative, but I think that's one of the things I like about him.

He asks the hard questions no matter who he's talking to. And he seems to me to have a lot of common sense.

Where exactly does he fall on the political spectrum? I really don't know much about him except for the occasional flipping through the channels and watching him in 5 minute excerpts.

Im not sure of his political affiliation but I tend to watch Hardball every other night.
:cheesy:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child

Me too. I'd love for him to say, "You know, I really don't give a flying rat's ass about liberalism or conservatism."

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Chris Matthews is a Democrat. He used to be a speechwriter for Jimmy Carter and worked for Tip O'Neill. He was a big Clinton supporter, too.

I, personally, think he's a pork chop and about as biased as they come. Tim Russert is much better.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by vraiblonde
I, personally, think he's a pork chop and about as biased as they come. Tim Russert is much better.

I like Russert, too. Mostly because both guys have a, ahem, hardball approach to questioning politicians. These are our elected officials, so why shouldn't they sweat a little?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by Tonio
both guys have a, ahem, hardball approach to questioning politicians.
I'd like to see a tape of that because the only thing I ever see is Chris Matthews haranguing Republicans and serving up softballs to Democrats. How anyone who has ever watched the show can wonder what political affiliation Matthews holds is beyond me.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by vraiblonde
I'd like to see a tape of that because the only thing I ever see is Chris Matthews haranguing Republicans and serving up softballs to Democrats.

I haven't seen that. In the few times that I've actually sat down and really 'watched' the show, he seems to be an equal opportunity azz kicker.

BuddyLee

Football addict
I haven't seen that. In the few times that I've actually sat down and really 'watched' the show, he seems to be an equal opportunity azz kicker.

:yeahthat:

Vrai is just paranoid whenever someone makes a republican look like a fool just as some hardcore democrat would be if you made one of they're own look like a fool.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by BuddyLee
Vrai is just paranoid whenever someone makes a republican look like a fool just as some hardcore democrat would be if you made one of they're own look like a fool.
:bunny:

B

Bruzilla

Russert asks some tough questions, and he knows his guests are waffling or outright lying sometimes, but he always lets them off the hook. The sad truth is that he and Matthews know that if they press for honesty they won't get any good guests.

The only time that I've seen Matthews get tough with a Democrat is when he challenges one of the panel people on his show. The guests he's always softball with.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Bruz kills the thread...

...the ONLY person who is consistantly in the guests face, all of them with hard questions, is O'Reilly and he gets nobody because of it.

Russert TOTALLY punted when he had on Kennedy a month ago.

If you can't get a read on Mathews you are NOT paying attention. He never shuts his maw long enough for anyone to finish a sentence.

soul4sale

Originally posted by sleuth
*snip*
Where exactly does he fall on the political spectrum?

I'd say somewhere between crystal meth and cocaine. One of these days, he's going to forget and leave the powder on his nose when the cameras roll.

And, no, I'm not indiscriminately bashing here...

rraley

If my memory serves me right Russert used to also be a Democratic aide on Capitol Hill. I like both of them: they both try to get information out of their interview subjects. O'Reily is another good interviewer but I prefer the other two because they are less abrasive and do not have a tendency to just bud in whenever they hear something they disagree with. The only interviewer that I have seen who consistently throws softballs is Larry King.