Sucky Contractors

puggymom

Errrr !!!!
About two months ago hubby and I signed a contract with a home improvement contractor to have an addition put on our house. They said it would take about two months, so we assumed three. Two months later they are not even a forth through the project!!
Seriously wtf is up??? I know it rained for like a week straight a bit ago but its been gorgeous and they are still rarely showing up. In two months they've dug the footers and put in the cinderblock outline. They told me last week they were coming the next day to fill it in but they showed up and dumped a bunch of rocks in the driveway then left.
How can I word an email asking what the f*ck the plan is but in a more professional way? Also can I fire a contractor midway through? Will that mess up the permit? Will another contractor even be will to take on a partially completed job?

MadDogMarine

Errrr !!!!
About two months ago hubby and I signed a contract with a home improvement contractor to have an addition put on our house. They said it would take about two months, so we assumed three. Two months later they are not even a forth through the project!!
Seriously wtf is up??? I know it rained for like a week straight a bit ago but its been gorgeous and they are still rarely showing up. In two months they've dug the footers and put in the cinderblock outline. They told me last week they were coming the next day to fill it in but they showed up and dumped a bunch of rocks in the driveway then left.
How can I word an email asking what the f*ck the plan is but in a more professional way? Also can I fire a contractor midway through? Will that mess up the permit? Will another contractor even be will to take on a partially completed job?
Hope you had a well written contract to include a "completion by date".

puggymom

We have a contract but no completion date. That was just an estimate given. I would not think most could give one because the weather is not very predictable. If it was it non stop rain I'd be annoyed but there is nothing that can be done. These guys do not even show up when the weather is nice.

MadDogMarine

We have a contract but no completion date. That was just an estimate given. I would not think most could give one because the weather is not very predictable. If it was it non stop rain I'd be annoyed but there is nothing that can be done. These guys do not even show up when the weather is nice.

You can always fire a contractor but expect to be sued for breach of contract.
Without a completion by date it becomes of question of what is "reasonable".
Document all the work done with a time stamped camera as well as records of when the contractor showed/didn't show. You also need(should) place the contractor on NOTICE by written letter they sign for outlining what your expectations are regarding the completion timeline. They can respond if they disagree. No response would indicate they agree-called "constructive consent".
All this becomes evidence should it go to small claims court. I would think an additional three months would be reasonable considering weather etc.
You can also request a step by step plan from them as to when to have the foundation poured, walls up, under roof etc. Get them to put as much in writing as you can. Remember, once under roof, internal finish(drywall, electric) all takes time so be reasonable! Let them know you are not happy with them to date and give them a chance to correct things.

MMM_donuts

When it's all said and done with, please be sure to tell us all about it - names, too, please, so we'll know which contractors to avoid.

hollywood

Wow me being in this line of work they should of had your footers and block laid and walls up basically your addition under roof as I call it in 2 months. Was there a hold up on your permit or other paperwork smeco etc, and if you dont mind me asking how big of a addition are you talking about honestly they should be alot further then what you are explaining.So sorry to hear you are having to go through this sounds like your troubles with them are just starting,hopefully once they do get going you dont run into other problems with them. But if they start out like this more than likely it will be nothing but problems from here on out. See it all to often with homeowners calling us to come out and fix something another contractor started and didnt finish or messed up severly and just walked away from the job.

MadDogMarine

Wow me being in this line of work they should of had your footers and block laid and walls up basically your addition under roof as I call it in 2 months. Was there a hold up on your permit or other paperwork smeco etc, and if you dont mind me asking how big of a addition are you talking about honestly they should be alot further then what you are explaining.So sorry to hear you are having to go through this sounds like your troubles with them are just starting,hopefully once they do get going you dont run into other problems with them. But if they start out like this more than likely it will be nothing but problems from here on out. See it all to often with homeowners calling us to come out and fix something another contractor started and didnt finish or messed up severly and just walked away from the job.

OK puggymom,post on here what the square footage of the addition is and let hollywood give you a builder's estimate for under roof. Add another two months as a reasonable time frame allowing for weather etc. Then notify the builder of this under roof completion by date. You need to start building a case that will benefit you in the long run.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Without reading the contract I can only advise you to do as was suggested and put them on notice. Contracts have weather clauses written into them all the time like they get a day for day time extension for each day the weather prevents work. You could require them to work weekends to make up for lost days, but only if it's written in the contract.

I guarantee if it is their contract, it's written in their favor. If there is no mention of time, send them a letter stating the date you signed the contract, recount as close to verbatim as possible the conversation about completing in 2 months and state that taking into account bad weather the addition should be (or should have been) substantially complete no later than xx/xx/2013. Ask them for a written recovery plan with dates as to how they expect to finish the job. Be sure to give a date you require them to respond by (usually 3 days).

If they do not respond or the response is not acceptable, send a second letter. Include in this letter that they are expected to work every day including weekends to get back on the agreed upon schedule and failure to do so will result in you terminating the contract for failure to perform the work in a timely manner.

Keep in mind that I am offering this advice without benefit of reading their contract and any of the above may not help at all but it will certainly help should you find yourself taking legal action.

Good luck.

Baja28
Esquire, OB/GYN, OU812

puggymom

The footers were approved on April 19, i just read that on the permit. Since then they've completed the concrete blocks. It is a basic 20x20 great room. No plumbing or anything like that.We got a few estimates and everyone commented what a simple job it was.

KDENISE977

I wonder if we used the same contractor ?? When we had our interior remodeled and installed the hardwood floor it was RIDICULOUS and we still have leaks in the ceiling if we use the master shower. This contractor was located off Golden Beach Road.

nutz

The footers were approved on April 19, i just read that on the permit. Since then they've completed the concrete blocks. It is a basic 20x20 great room. No plumbing or anything like that.We got a few estimates and everyone commented what a simple job it was.

Have you called and asked what the hold up is? Sounds like they are juggling jobs and yours is low priority at the moment. What were the draw schedules in your contract? :popcorn:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
These folks are working for you so why can't you just ask the contractor what's going on? It's possible they suck, and it's possible you're being unrealistic - you won't know until you ask. I doubt you'll be the first anxious homeowner they've worked with, this happens ALL THE TIME and they surely know how to deal with it.

If he fluffs you off or gets pissy, you'll know what's what and then you can look into getting rid of him and having another contractor come in.

Again, this company is working for you. You are paying them to do a job. You have a right to be kept up on the progress.

puggymom

Have you called and asked what the hold up is? Sounds like they are juggling jobs and yours is low priority at the moment. What were the draw schedules in your contract? :popcorn:
Money wise?
It was 25% down, 25% once concrete flooring is poured, 25% after framing, final payment upon completion.

I'm going to email (preferred do everything is in writing. I just do not want to be uber bitchy and have them mess it up because they're po'ed.

nutz

Money wise?
It was 25% down, 25% once concrete flooring is poured, 25% after framing, final payment upon completion.

I'm going to email (preferred do everything is in writing. I just do not want to be uber bitchy and have them mess it up because they're po'ed.

While I don't disagree with what you're saying, a simple phone call to start is easier. Then start a paper trail if you're still having issues. According to what you're saying, they now have 50% of the projects money and plenty of time to finish. Nothing in the contract for time tables?

abcxyz

Most of the contractors that I know are self-employed because they don't have the work ethic to hold a job. I hope you didn't get one of them..

Research them on case search? I know a few that are a few million dollars in debt and have quite a few lawsuits in their past, present and future...

puggymom

Most of the contractors that I know are self-employed because they don't have the work ethic to hold a job. I hope you didn't get one of them..

Research them on case search? I know a few that are a few million dollars in debt and have quite a few lawsuits in their past, present and future...

Does not look like it but thanks. The name only shows some minor traffic tickets. I honestly think we are just low priority for whatever reason. Maybe we have not complained enough before now.

tipsymcgee

Unfortunately most contractors know they have the upper hand. Sure you can get PO'd and harass them with phone calls and arguments, but it may mean your money sits useless and your addition goes untouched, or even worse you get tied up in a legal situation. These things then always become a he-said/she-said situation and all parties lose. If the problem continues, start taking pictures and document every phone call and contact and dates worked in a log for future reference. Is the person an actual licensed home improvement contractor?

puggymom

I've decided they these guys are just freaking slow. Since my last post the exterior is finished but nothing in the interior (electrical, HVAC, sheet rock, painting, flooring, etc) has been touched. What they have finished has been good....it looks nice and all but for the love of all that is holy we are coming on 4 months here.
At this point we're just hoping it is complete by football season...that may be wishful thinking though since they have not been here in over a week. At least I feel like they are a legitimate contractor, just S-L-O-W.