(Happy?!) Memorial Day

DEEKAYPEE8569

To Our Military

Thank you for your dedication, service and protection.
This cannot be said emphatically enough.
May the fallen be eternally at peace.
To the families of our Military members, thank you for your sacrifices.
They too will not go unnoticed nor be forgotten.

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits

A moving story that emphasizes what Memorial Day is REALLY about.

It happens now and then. You hear a story so sad, so beautiful, so filled with loss and pain and grief and love, that it makes you cry. Really cry.

Two years ago, I was making a grocery run for my family on Memorial Day when a story came on the local NPR station in Oxford, Miss. It was about a father whose son had been killed in action in northwest Afghanistan. The father was Paul Monti; his son was Sergeant Jared Monti. Jared died in Afghanistan trying to save the life of one of his men. Jared was 30 years old when he died, and was awarded the Medal of Honor posthumously for his heroism under fire. But that was small consolation to his father: The son he loved and admired was gone, forever.

We then heard from Jared’s dad. His grief was palpable, as he told the NPR reporter some stories about his son. Stories of how his son was always helping people, especially people less fortunate than himself. His father nearly choked up telling a story about how his son once took a brand-new kitchen set he and his buddies at Fort Bragg had just purchased for their home, and gave it away to a fellow soldier’s family.

/snip

The grief Jared’s father feels will never go away. And he’ll probably drive that truck of his son’s for as long as it will run. And longer.

The last verse of the song says it all:
I’ve cussed, I’ve prayed, I’ve said goodbye
I’ve shook my fist and asked God why
These days, when I’m missin’ you this much
I drive your truck
I Drive Your Truck | National Review Online

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
My Dad (Army, Greenland, killed 1958) didn't live long enough to see trucks like the one in that video; trucks that I've spent a lifetime restoring, one after the other.

I often wonder what he would have thought about them.

acommondisaster

Not a big country music fan (okay, I admit I HATE it) and partially because of the type of stories the songs tell. Always sad stuff about dying babies and angels in heaven and dead dogs - it creeps me out. But this gave me chicken skin while I listened. I'll never hear it again, but I'll remember the story that goes along with the song - it's amazing. Definitely worth the read; thanks for sharing. I do not think that I could handle having one of my sons in harm's way - I'd need to be medicated the entire time they were away. My hat's off (and a very big thank you) to any parent who goes through it.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
And don't forget....

Our 4 legged heroes.

:patriot:

Attachments

• 954611_498300450236911_1955066241_n.jpg
    954611_498300450236911_1955066241_n.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 127

ZARA

My Dad (Army, Greenland, killed 1958) didn't live long enough to see trucks like the one in that video; trucks that I've spent a lifetime restoring, one after the other.

I often wonder what he would have thought about them.

:huggy:

Lilypad

On D-Day, June 6, 1944, 41% of warriors who stepped out of the landing craft would fall. These people paved the pathway for continued freedom with their blood. Memorial Day is about remembering the sacrifice of those killed in conflict. Make sure that the beautiful weather and cookouts don't distract you from the real reason for your holiday pay.

ZARA

A couple form back in the day

Reminds me of when we made it through our first det and my hubs finally came home. My boss wouldn't let me off work to greet him as he came off the boat. My hubs was sad but understanding. The more I thought about it the more pissed off I became. We had a few comm blackouts that lasted a couple of weeks because there was a fatal accident on the flight line and another committed suicide. Those weeks without hearing anything were terrifying for me.

The morning he was coming home I was getting ready for work and my rebellious nature and temper kicked in full throttle. All I could think was, “F work. He is more important.” So I changed clothes, put on a nice dress that showed off my curves, never called work, and hauled butt to where they docked.

I saw him as soon as he stepped off the ramp and followed him with my eyes the entire walk to me. I was anxious, nervous, happy, and … :smoochy:

The look on his face when he saw me, how his whole face lit up in surprise and joy, still warms my heart. God how I hated the look of dress whites, but that day, he was so handsome and the only person that existed in my world.

MadDogMarine

On D-Day, June 6, 1944, 41% of warriors who stepped out of the landing craft would fall. These people paved the pathway for continued freedom with their blood. Memorial Day is about remembering the sacrifice of those killed in conflict. Make sure that the beautiful weather and cookouts don't distract you from the real reason for your holiday pay.

"those killed in conflict"
AND why they died! They gave their lives for liberty and freedom.
Let us not forget our DUTY to preserve and protect what they sacrificed for.
How much longer must we watch it erode away?

"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy."
James Madison

“We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other.”John Adams

“But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever.”
John Adams

“The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.”
Thomas Jefferson

“Children should be educated and instructed in the principles of freedom.”
John Adams

Last edited:

MadDogMarine

Reminds me of when we made it through our first det and my hubs finally came home. My boss wouldn't let me off work to greet him as he came off the boat. My hubs was sad but understanding. The more I thought about it the more pissed off I became. We had a few comm blackouts that lasted a couple of weeks because there was a fatal accident on the flight line and another committed suicide. Those weeks without hearing anything were terrifying for me.

The morning he was coming home I was getting ready for work and my rebellious nature and temper kicked in full throttle. All I could think was, “F work. He is more important.” So I changed clothes, put on a nice dress that showed off my curves, never called work, and hauled butt to where they docked.

I saw him as soon as he stepped off the ramp and followed him with my eyes the entire walk to me. I was anxious, nervous, happy, and … :smoochy:

The look on his face when he saw me, how his whole face lit up in surprise and joy, still warms my heart. God how I hated the look of dress whites, but that day, he was so handsome and the only person that existed in my world.

It is moments like this that makes a man extremely happy to be with the woman he married. She can do no wrong!