Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 51

Thread: Kayak guided tours

  1. #1

    Kayak guided tours

    I went Kayak shopping yesterday and have narrowed down my choice. I'm not looking to invest a $1000+ in a kayak, in fact, my max limit is $450-$500 each and have been really looking at the Old Town Trip Angler 10 footer. I think I am going to buy 2 but I have a feeling, I am going to be winging it alone, which is fine - I expected that. My husband was hit head-on on a motorcycle many years ago and injured his shoulder. It tends to not bother him that much unless there is a weather change or he indulges in physical activity for long periods of time. Bottom line... I totally intend to be on my own here and think it is best I start looking at guided tours with others whether he makes the run or not.

    Anyway, some sites I found....

    http://www.co.saint-marys.md.us/docs...ngBrochure.pdf

    Southern Maryland is a Paddler's Paradise

    And I was hoping that perhaps others who are aware of guided runs, would be kind enough to post them. And if you have some sites you would like to share, please do so.
    Please neuter and spay your pets.... and your weird friends and relatives.

  2. #2
    wandering aimlessly bresamil's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    God's country
    Posts
    11,616
    Kayak Training & Sea Kayak Tours on the Maryland Chesapeake Bay

    Its not all local but there are lots of opportunities.
    Magic has touched here

  3. #3
    wandering aimlessly bresamil's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    God's country
    Posts
    11,616
    Southern Maryland Adventure - Kayaking & Wine | St. Mary's County MD Tourism

    I think FancyBelle did this one with the ladies.
    Magic has touched here

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by bresamil View Post
    I was chatting with a lady yesterday at Dicks who was telling me about this - said it is a blast. She was looking at the same model I was because the inside seemed to be big enough for her dog. We walked around and nit picked just about every model and came back to the Old Town. Thing is... they have a pod out back that have to unload this morning and we can only hope they have the ones we want in there. I want 2 of 2 different colors because we have jet skies that are the same color and had to sticker them up to tell which one is which. (stickers went on his because he knows I have mental issues with stickers ) They are going to call but also Beacons supply in Waldorf might be another place to check since I've heard they have a larger line of Old Towns.

    You know, thanks Bre... you got further in your search than I did mine.
    Please neuter and spay your pets.... and your weird friends and relatives.

  5. #5
    wandering aimlessly bresamil's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    God's country
    Posts
    11,616
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    I was chatting with a lady yesterday at Dicks who was telling me about this - said it is a blast. She was looking at the same model I was because the inside seemed to be big enough for her dog. We walked around and nit picked just about every model and came back to the Old Town. Thing is... they have a pod out back that have to unload this morning and we can only hope they have the ones we want in there. I want 2 of 2 different colors because we have jet skies that are the same color and had to sticker them up to tell which one is which. (stickers went on his because he knows I have mental issues with stickers ) They are going to call but also Beacons supply in Waldorf might be another place to check since I've heard they have a larger line of Old Towns.

    You know, thanks Bre... you got further in your search than I did mine.
    I've had today and got a real night's sleep. I'm on fire!
    Magic has touched here

  6. #6
    Oldtimer Ken King's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Up the hill and down the holler
    Posts
    14,769
    If your husband has shoulder issues why not outfit his with a kayak trolling motor, might keep him interested a little longer if he doesn't wear out that shoulder and has to struggle making it home. NOTE - he cold tow you too should you over extend yourself.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken King View Post
    If your husband has shoulder issues why not outfit his with a kayak trolling motor, might keep him interested a little longer if he doesn't wear out that shoulder and has to struggle making it home. NOTE - he cold tow you too should you over extend yourself.
    never... but that is a great idea for him - something I will mention or he could just use that time to do something else.... I'm really okay with that and noticed many of these tour dates fall on a Sunday and he works on Sundays.
    Please neuter and spay your pets.... and your weird friends and relatives.

  8. #8
    Registered User Hessian's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Lusby
    Posts
    3,820

    Southern Maryland Paddlers

    on Facebook.
    We have group trips twice a month...Normally 6-12 go out. All flatwater coves & rivers of so Md.

    Old Town is an excellent name ...I have two Loon 160's.
    However,...before you buy. Consider the type of water you will exploring.
    A 10 footer on flat water (like So Md) can wag back & forth noticeably with every stroke. Shorter boats do very well with a current, however I have found that the right shaped keel, bow, and length can make a flat water trip very enjoyable,...or the wrong type--exhausting.

    Might be worth look at some forums of people who have the Angler 10 ft,...and see what type of paddling they do. It can give you confidence in the buy,...or help you decide on another boat. Welcome to the world of yakking-see you on FB.
    Last edited by Hessian; 05-25-2013 at 09:01 AM.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

  9. #9
    Garden Variety Gnome Dye Tied's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2007
    Location
    Collective Soul, Haughtyville USA.
    Posts
    15,715
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    I was chatting with a lady yesterday at Dicks who was telling me about this - said it is a blast. She was looking at the same model I was because the inside seemed to be big enough for her dog. We walked around and nit picked just about every model and came back to the Old Town. Thing is... they have a pod out back that have to unload this morning and we can only hope they have the ones we want in there. I want 2 of 2 different colors because we have jet skies that are the same color and had to sticker them up to tell which one is which. (stickers went on his because he knows I have mental issues with stickers ) They are going to call but also Beacons supply in Waldorf might be another place to check since I've heard they have a larger line of Old Towns.

    You know, thanks Bre... you got further in your search than I did mine.
    I had to buy a kayak that was a weight I could handle by myself, if needed. Since I had just started paddling, I got a Dagger Zydeco that weighs 28 lbs. I also made sure that I bought a carbon oar, since I have shoulder issues. It weighs like a feather. Austin Kayak delivered it for $15 and I found they have great prices.
    Quote Originally Posted by jazz lady View Post
    All men suck - the only difference is their level of suckiness.
    Quote Originally Posted by toppick08 View Post
    #### you..have a pleasant evening,...DyeTied, RR...haughty wimmin's. And you say I'm a dick.......choke on a cork.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Hessian View Post
    on Facebook.
    We have group trips twice a month...Normally 6-12 go out. All flatwater coves & rivers of so Md.

    Old Town is an excellent name ...I have two Loon 160's.
    However,...before you buy. Consider the type of water you will exploring.
    A 10 footer on flat water (like So Md) can wag back & forth noticeably with every stroke. Shorter boats do very well with a current, however I have found that the right shaped keel, bow, and length can make a flat water trip very enjoyable,...or the wrong type--exhausting.

    Might be worth look at some forums of people who have the Angler 10 ft,...and see what type of paddling they do. It can give you confidence in the buy,...or help you decide on another boat. Welcome to the world of yakking-see you on FB.
    Thanks, I joined.
    Please neuter and spay your pets.... and your weird friends and relatives.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |