Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 51

Thread: Kayak guided tours

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Dye Tied View Post
    I had to buy a kayak that was a weight I could handle by myself, if needed. Since I had just started paddling, I got a Dagger Zydeco that weighs 28 lbs. I also made sure that I bought a carbon oar, since I have shoulder issues. It weighs like a feather. Austin Kayak delivered it for $15 and I found they have great prices.
    Girl... that is my concern... carrying it because I had my heart set on a 12 footer - looked at it and thought, OMG... I'm 5'7" and was seriously intimidated. You must have a 9 footer? And are you using it on flatwater?
    My husband is 6'1" and 190-195ish lbs. (NOW )
    Please neuter and spay your pets.... and your weird friends and relatives.

  2. #12
    Garden Variety Gnome Dye Tied's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2007
    Location
    Collective Soul, Haughtyville USA.
    Posts
    15,715
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    Girl... that is my concern... carrying it because I had my heart set on a 12 footer - looked at it and thought, OMG... I'm 5'7" and was seriously intimidated. You must have a 9 footer? And are you using it on flatwater?
    My husband is 6'1" and 190-195ish lbs. (NOW )
    Being all of 5 feet tall, a 9 footer fits me well. Of course I wanted a bigger kayak but the weight was too much. I also bought a new vehicle that my kayak can fit inside of...lol. That way I don't have to put it on my roof rack.
    I am a flat water paddler only. The boat doesn't track real straight but I love it. The carbon oar helps immensely.
    My first experience was McIntosh Creek with a friend's kayak. It was too heavy for just me and you have to know the tide chart to paddle on the creek but I fell in love and got my own. My company pays for half of stuff like that.
    Keep investigating and ask the kayak club members.
    Quote Originally Posted by jazz lady View Post
    All men suck - the only difference is their level of suckiness.
    Quote Originally Posted by toppick08 View Post
    #### you..have a pleasant evening,...DyeTied, RR...haughty wimmin's. And you say I'm a dick.......choke on a cork.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Dye Tied View Post
    Being all of 5 feet tall, a 9 footer fits me well. Of course I wanted a bigger kayak but the weight was too much. I also bought a new vehicle that my kayak can fit inside of...lol. That way I don't have to put it on my roof rack.
    I am a flat water paddler only. The boat doesn't track real straight but I love it. The carbon oar helps immensely.
    My first experience was McIntosh Creek with a friend's kayak. It was too heavy for just me and you have to know the tide chart to paddle on the creek but I fell in love and got my own. My company pays for half of stuff like that.
    Keep investigating and ask the kayak club members.
    Thanks and that was on my agenda...(measure the inside of my Pilot) I am fairly certain a 10 footer will fit fine because that was another consideration of mine as well.... although I have a roof rack, I don't want to mess with it unless I have to.
    Please neuter and spay your pets.... and your weird friends and relatives.

  4. #14
    Garden Variety Gnome Dye Tied's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2007
    Location
    Collective Soul, Haughtyville USA.
    Posts
    15,715
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    Thanks and that was on my agenda...(measure the inside of my Pilot) I am fairly certain a 10 footer will fit fine because that was another consideration of mine as well.... although I have a roof rack, I don't want to mess with it unless I have to.
    Kayaking is a great form of exercise and it's very relaxing. The club has some sunset trips that I have yet to join in on because of surgery, but I am looking into a headlamp for those evenings.
    Have fun researching and shopping and post what you find.
    Quote Originally Posted by jazz lady View Post
    All men suck - the only difference is their level of suckiness.
    Quote Originally Posted by toppick08 View Post
    #### you..have a pleasant evening,...DyeTied, RR...haughty wimmin's. And you say I'm a dick.......choke on a cork.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Dye Tied View Post
    Kayaking is a great form of exercise and it's very relaxing. The club has some sunset trips that I have yet to join in on because of surgery, but I am looking into a headlamp for those evenings.
    Have fun researching and shopping and post what you find.
    I've been shopping for one for over a year... but today, I did it.... I got one!!!!

    The lady I was chatting with at Dicks suggested I check out Beacon Surplus - (oddly she reminded me of you ) in Waldorf before making up my mind on anything I've looked at. I decided to take her advice because the one I was considering was in a pod out back that they hadn't even unloaded (funny how things like that work out) Then the article in Southern Maryland Living gave Beacon Surplus as a recommendation for purchase so I decided it was a sign for me to look 1 more place which is like the 14-15th place we've looked at kayaks at.... I found a 2012 Santee 100 Hurricane on closeout - last one in the store.... but I didn't buy it right-a-way. Instead, my husband and I got in our vehicle in the parking lot and we had a long chat about this.... He was honest that this is not something he is interested in doing at the moment. I totally expected to hear that so I'm glad he was honest about it upfront. He wanted me to buy it because I liked it so much and didn't have one nit picky thing to say about it and really felt if we left it might be gone before the end of the day. I admire his patience though because he has gone kayak shopping with me for hours on end.... so I will be joining groups and going out with the few friends I have that kayak. It is what it is.... so I walked back in the store and bought my party of 1 kayak.... with paddle for under their costs.

    My paddle is a Aqua-Bound carbon shaft, 220CM. Paddle and Kayak, $660 out the door. They had an 11 1/2 foot one and I really was struggling to make up my mind between the 2, both Santees but went back to the 10 foot for a list of reasons. It is very light weight, 31-35 lbs. (sites seem to all say something different here) so I think this will be much easier to manage.

    I have it sitting in my living room... when I get tired of looking at it, I will move it to our garage.

    If anyone is looking for a Santee Sport, they have a beautiful 11 1/2 foot yellow one at Beacons for $750.....


    Adventure Outfitters, the source for climbing, hiking, camping, skiing, and paddling in Western Massachusetts Mine is blue just like what is pictures on this site.
    Last edited by Dakota; 05-25-2013 at 01:59 PM.
    Please neuter and spay your pets.... and your weird friends and relatives.

  6. #16
    Hot Flash Wenchy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2009
    Location
    A Thousand Years
    Posts
    3,050
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    I've been shopping for one for over a year... but today, I did it.... I got one!!!!

    The lady I was chatting with at Dicks suggested I check out Beacon Surplus - (oddly she reminded me of you ) in Waldorf before making up my mind on anything I've looked at. I decided to take her advice because the one I was considering was in a pod out back that they hadn't even unloaded (funny how things like that work out) Then the article in Southern Maryland Living gave Beacon Surplus as a recommendation for purchase so I decided it was a sign for me to look 1 more place which is like the 14-15th place we've looked at kayaks at.... I found a 2012 Santee 100 Hurricane on closeout - last one in the store.... but I didn't buy it right-a-way. Instead, my husband and I got in our vehicle in the parking lot and we had a long chat about this.... He was honest that this is not something he is interested in doing at the moment. I totally expected to hear that so I'm glad he was honest about it upfront. He wanted me to buy it because I liked it so much and didn't have one nit picky thing to say about it and really felt if we left it might be gone before the end of the day. I admire his patience though because he has gone kayak shopping with me for hours on end.... so I will be joining groups and going out with the few friends I have that kayak. It is what it is.... so I walked back in the store and bought my party of 1 kayak.... with paddle for under their costs.

    My paddle is a Aqua-Bound carbon shaft, 220CM. Paddle and Kayak, $660 out the door. They had an 11 1/2 foot one and I really was struggling to make up my mind between the 2, both Santees but went back to the 10 foot for a list of reasons. It is very light weight, 31-35 lbs. (sites seem to all say something different here) so I think this will be much easier to manage.

    I have it sitting in my living room... when I get tired of looking at it, I will move it to our garage.

    If anyone is looking for a Santee Sport, they have a beautiful 11 1/2 foot yellow one at Beacons for $750.....


    Adventure Outfitters, the source for climbing, hiking, camping, skiing, and paddling in Western Massachusetts Mine is blue just like what is pictures on this site.

    Have fun! I miss my kayak. Such freedom on the water.

  7. 05-25-2013, 03:21 PM

  8. #17
    They call me ... Sarcasmo kom526's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Beyond the OB stakes
    Posts
    15,956
    Blog Entries
    1
    For the vertically challenged kayaker, might I suggest these:

    Yakima HullyRoller Rooftop Kayak Carrier with Straps with Strap : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors


    You slap the hull on the rollers and push your boat until it comes to rest on the forward saddle.
    Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been.

    Somewhere, a teacher is crying with their red marker after reading your dribble.

  9. #18
    The kayak club on facebook does have some great trips, I hope to do a little more with them this year. What area do you live in? I live in the Hollywood area and I go out all the time on my own. Maybe we can meet up.

  10. #19
    Garden Variety Gnome Dye Tied's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2007
    Location
    Collective Soul, Haughtyville USA.
    Posts
    15,715
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    I've been shopping for one for over a year... but today, I did it.... I got one!!!!

    The lady I was chatting with at Dicks suggested I check out Beacon Surplus - (oddly she reminded me of you ) in Waldorf before making up my mind on anything I've looked at. I decided to take her advice because the one I was considering was in a pod out back that they hadn't even unloaded (funny how things like that work out) Then the article in Southern Maryland Living gave Beacon Surplus as a recommendation for purchase so I decided it was a sign for me to look 1 more place which is like the 14-15th place we've looked at kayaks at.... I found a 2012 Santee 100 Hurricane on closeout - last one in the store.... but I didn't buy it right-a-way. Instead, my husband and I got in our vehicle in the parking lot and we had a long chat about this.... He was honest that this is not something he is interested in doing at the moment. I totally expected to hear that so I'm glad he was honest about it upfront. He wanted me to buy it because I liked it so much and didn't have one nit picky thing to say about it and really felt if we left it might be gone before the end of the day. I admire his patience though because he has gone kayak shopping with me for hours on end.... so I will be joining groups and going out with the few friends I have that kayak. It is what it is.... so I walked back in the store and bought my party of 1 kayak.... with paddle for under their costs.

    My paddle is a Aqua-Bound carbon shaft, 220CM. Paddle and Kayak, $660 out the door. They had an 11 1/2 foot one and I really was struggling to make up my mind between the 2, both Santees but went back to the 10 foot for a list of reasons. It is very light weight, 31-35 lbs. (sites seem to all say something different here) so I think this will be much easier to manage.

    I have it sitting in my living room... when I get tired of looking at it, I will move it to our garage.

    If anyone is looking for a Santee Sport, they have a beautiful 11 1/2 foot yellow one at Beacons for $750.....


    Adventure Outfitters, the source for climbing, hiking, camping, skiing, and paddling in Western Massachusetts Mine is blue just like what is pictures on this site.
    Awesome! I had mine in the house, too...lol. It's now in the garage of course and I got a cockpit cover for it. Enjoy!
    Quote Originally Posted by jazz lady View Post
    All men suck - the only difference is their level of suckiness.
    Quote Originally Posted by toppick08 View Post
    #### you..have a pleasant evening,...DyeTied, RR...haughty wimmin's. And you say I'm a dick.......choke on a cork.

  11. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Dye Tied View Post
    Awesome! I had mine in the house, too...lol. It's now in the garage of course and I got a cockpit cover for it. Enjoy!
    I'm surprised. Kayaking isn't something I thought you'd enjoy.

    I had a really nice Hobie kayak, but just couldn't deal with the sitting position. Just found it really uncomfortable. Much better in a canoe.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |