Rabbit Neuter - low cost WHERE?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
The rabbit is a pet for a daycare. He started to nibble on the children's legs last week, and the daycare provider was told it is likely a boy thing that can be corrected by having him neutered. They don't have the $100 they were told it would cost to neuter the rabbit, so we are trying to find a way to get the rabbit done at a lower cost somewhere so the rabbit can keep his home. Nibbling on daycare children is not an option so he stops it, or he has to go.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
The rabbit is a pet for a daycare. He started to nibble on the children's legs last week, and the daycare provider was told it is likely a boy thing that can be corrected by having him neutered. They don't have the $100 they were told it would cost to neuter the rabbit, so we are trying to find a way to get the rabbit done at a lower cost somewhere so the rabbit can keep his home. Nibbling on daycare children is not an option so he stops it, or he has to go.

it will take a knowledgeable vet to do this.... as rabbits are sensitive to anesthesia

All Kinds will be who i would check with.

sockgirl77

Ummm...how about not having a rabbit walking around while daycare children are present. :shrug:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
it will take a knowledgeable vet to do this.... as rabbits are sensitive to anesthesia

All Kinds will be who i would check with.

Ok - guinea pigs are the same way - I had my pigs done by Dr. Gold, North of Baltimore years ago.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Ummm...how about not having a rabbit walking around while daycare children are present. :shrug:

Apparently the bunny plays with the children and even sleeps with them at nap time. The children have become quite attached to the bunny - if we can help the daycare get him neutered, he may not have to be placed in a different home. I'm pretty sure that he has been kept away from the children since he started nibbling last week.

sockgirl77

Apparently the bunny plays with the children and even sleeps with them at nap time. The children have become quite attached to the bunny - if we can help the daycare get him neutered, he may not have to be placed in a different home. I'm pretty sure that he has been kept away from the children since he started nibbling last week.

I am quite surprised that this is not against daycare regulations. I've never had a daycare provider that even had a dog or cat before.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I am quite surprised that this is not against daycare regulations. I've never had a daycare provider that even had a dog or cat before.

I know of a lady who does day care that has many cats in her home. Obviously none of her kids is allergic to cats. I guess it varies from daycare to daycare, but don't schools have pets in classrooms to teach kids about animals? Oh and I just thought of 2 other daycare providers I know personally that both have cats and dogs in their homes. Licensed providers also.

sockgirl77

I know of a lady who does day care that has many cats in her home. Obviously none of her kids is allergic to cats. I guess it varies from daycare to daycare, but don't schools have pets in classrooms to teach kids about animals? Oh and I just thought of 2 other daycare providers I know personally that both have cats and dogs in their homes. Licensed providers also.

The schools have pets in aquariums/cages, but they are not running around. I don't know. I just think of rabbits hopping around a house as nasty. Then again, it's my preference to not send my kids to daycares with shedding animals.

Rt235

Dont they poop as they walk along? Or is it in bunny diapers?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Dont they poop as they walk along? Or is it in bunny diapers?

The provider said the bunny is litter box trained. Not all rabbits can be trained that way well, but apparently this one is. She also adds a supplement to its water so that its urine doesn't smell in the litter box - didn't know they even made that for bunnies.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
when i lived in FL ... I had one that was litter trained, leash trained... and roamed the whole house...

never droppings on the floor.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
That was my next question but I'm trying very hard to not spout off my opinions about this.

Apparently many providers have pets, so there are a lot of children exposed to pets of all kinds. I am sure if no pets is what you want for your children, there are providers with no pets. It's not a right or wrong thing, just a personal preference.

Do you have pets at home? Some people would never consider having a pet because they view them as dirty and unsanitary. Some people don't have children for various reasons. Just a personal preference. Whoever has more than 2.5 children made up for the 1.5 I didn't give birth to <G>.

sockgirl77

Apparently many providers have pets, so there are a lot of children exposed to pets of all kinds. I am sure if no pets is what you want for your children, there are providers with no pets. It's not a right or wrong thing, just a personal preference.

Do you have pets at home? Some people would never consider having a pet because they view them as dirty and unsanitary. Some people don't have children for various reasons. Just a personal preference. Whoever has more than 2.5 children made up for the 1.5 I didn't give birth to <G>.

I have 3 fish, and they are not there by choice. They came home with my kids one day thanks to my parents. I had a dog that didn't shed but was not able to bring her with me when I moved. But, I saw to it that she went to a great home.

I had rabbits growing up. It did not matter how clean I kept the cage, they stunk and always got crap on their feet. They are as cute as can be, but I wouldn't have one hopping around my house. :lol:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out

I dont want something that will drool more than my effing dog..... :killingme :jerry:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
when i lived in FL ... I had one that was litter trained, leash trained... and roamed the whole house...

never droppings on the floor.

I used to have one that left a trail of poop everywhere it went, and you knew where it spent any length of time by the chewed electrical wires LOL - needless to say, Rabbit spent most of his time caged unfortunately. I was in a high rise condo then, so time outside was not a regular thing. I don't have any Rabbits due to not having a pet-friendly area for it to be outside of a cage for exercise.

Rt235

Dont bother trying to help anymore, heard (read) owner is giving it away for free!!
Another got and toss and throw away pet.
If she does that to pets, how does she treat kids in her care?
Looks like just an excuse to get rid of it.