GOP 'rebranding' won't win back young voters

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link to original article.

More here.

"In reading the report on the GOP and young voters from the College Republicans National Committee, one should keep in mind that they were clearly hamstrung in making recommendations for broadening the party's appeal beyond the "old white guy" bloc by the party's core certainty that there is nothing wrong with the policies they've put forward. Written between the lines of the report (and often in the lines themselves) is the belief that issue is marketing and message, not values or beliefs. (This is nothing new: Republicans who have faulted GOP policies, while media darlings, don't seem to have gained traction in the party itself.)"

There's a section in report superficially about policy, but that's just it – it's superficial. The recommendations revolve around how to talk about policy, not engineer it. This isn't the fault of the report's authors, I think: around the edges, there are glimmers of self-awareness, hints that the CRNC would do things differently if they were given the chance.

For example, they emphasize over and over the advantage Obama gained by his attempts to actually pass legislation – even legislation opposed by the "winnable" conservatives and moderates the CNRC interviewed. Even respondents who didn't like Obamacare, for instance, believed "that Obama had attempted to change things." The mere acknowledgment of Obama as someone who, in good faith, "attempted to change things" would be watershed moment for the GOP leadership, and could shift the national conversation from mutual "NANANA, I CAN'T HEAR YOU" to dialogue.

The parties shout at each other rather than converse because we live in the era of the permanent campaign. It's only in campaigns that politics is a winner-take-all scenario, where shouting the loudest is what makes you a success. In crafting policy, it's possible for everyone to win something; this isn't something the authors of the report (following the lead of their elders) emphasize. The belief in, and consequences of, zero-sum politics are painfully evident in the section about the traits young people value and how the GOP might align itself with them.

First, the bad news:

"Asked which words least described the GOP, respondents gravitated toward 'open-minded' (35%), 'tolerant' (25%), 'caring' (22%), and 'cooperative' (21%)."

But, hey!

"Theoretically, the good news in all this is that while the Republican party's negative brand is being driven heavily by a perceived lack of open-mindedness and caring, the other brand attributes that matter to young people – intelligence, a strong work ethic, and competence – are not out of reach and certainly up for grabs."

Larry Gude

Strung Out
GOP 'rebranding' won't win back young voters

The GOP has a secret plan to win back power. It has been ongoing and is just now starting to bear fruit. It is called...

Barack Obama

Salon, Mother Jones, MSNBC, more and more and more, the epic disaster that has resulted from the abject lack of vetting of Barack Obama coupled with the desperate need to support him once he gained powered, chained to the hope that he'd turn out OK nut kicked by the reality that, issue after issue, this guy not only stinks but, is, in fact, a malignant narcissist who sees pretty much everyone as an enemy has handed the GOP something we do not deserve and have not earned; relevancy be default.

Here is how the left is starting to, as the hangover slowly ends, see the guy;

WATCH: The Re-Obamulator: The New, Old Obama You Know and Love [Fiore Cartoon] | Mother Jones

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I have never understood why black people vote for Democrats.
Democrats created the Klu Klux Klan, instituted Jim Crow laws, enforced segregation with police dogs and fire hoses and filibustered the senate to prevent passage of civil rights legislation.

I can understand how some opportunistic black folks can associate themselves with the plantation owners in order to better their own lot in life but why would you support the people that did that to your community?

stgislander

PREMO Member
Democrats created the Klu Klux Klan, instituted Jim Crow laws, enforced segregation with police dogs and fire hoses and filibustered the senate to prevent passage of civil rights legislation.

Seems to me the shift started with LBJ and the Great Society.

C

czygvtwkr

I can understand how some opportunistic black folks can associate themselves with the plantation owners in order to better their own lot in life but why would you support the people that did that to your community?

Because the democrats have successfully made them believe it was the republicans that did it to them.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Seems to me the shift started with LBJ and the Great Society.

More insanity

Lets get some white guys to make a fortune building sub standard housing and then round up all the black folks and move them in with just enough funds to keep them in their place and as long as they stay there it's OK if they sell dope and daughters or rob and kill each other.

Urban vote plantations

The Dems do a good job of selling slavery

Larry Gude

Strung Out
More insanity

Lets get some white guys to make a fortune building sub standard housing and then round up all the black folks and move them in with just enough funds to keep them in their place and as long as they stay there it's OK if they sell dope and daughters or rob and kill each other.

Urban vote plantations

The Dems do a good job of selling slavery

And no GOP'ers had a thing to do with it? None of the contractors who profit from building the plantations and infrastructure were Republicans? None of the real estate holders? Corporations that saw the potential?

All D's?

SamSpade

And no GOP'ers had a thing to do with it? None of the contractors who profit from building the plantations and infrastructure were Republicans? None of the real estate holders? Corporations that saw the potential?

All D's?

You mean none of the union labor that went into building all that were Democrats?

The only relevant blame is, who is responsible for creating the dependency. For all I know, Communists profited from building them.

SamSpade

The great society creator, LBJ

Every time I look at the Great Society, I become more convinced it was the single most devastating government effort at destroying black families and communities. Time was when the extended black family was the strongest in the nation, and statistically, it's approaching extinction.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Every time I look at the Great Society, I become more convinced it was the single most devastating government effort at destroying black families and communities. Time was when the extended black family was the strongest in the nation, and statistically, it's approaching extinction.

Yup.

"We're from the government and we are hear to help."

There is a campaign video of RFK touring the rural black South. IIRC, in Mississippi. The folks he visited lived in abject poverty. Bare foot, rudimentary clothing, tin roofs on cobbled together shacks, dirt streets, and all the people gathered around to see the Great Man and follow him on his tour.

And what you take away from it is not so much the poverty, the dirt poor but, the fact that mom is there, dad is there and the kids are there and everyone is beaming and happy. It's poor but, the people are well.

And our focus on the material, the quality of construction, the dirt, the cloths, the lack of schooling, normal 'civilization', leads us to now. No dads. Moms that work the system as it is. Drugs. Violence. Destitution instead of poverty. Depravity.

The people are NOT well.

:buddies: