Ron Miller: PRISM–Is it Our Fault?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
PRISM–Is it Our Fault?

I’ve not commented on NSA’s PRISM program up to this point because, as a former intelligence officer and senior IT professional, I recognize there are many layers to it, and I wanted to address them as cogently and accurately as possible.

Most Americans understand and accept that the interception and analysis of foreign communications is essential to developing effective intelligence. This is an historical and necessary function in the intelligence cycle.

The prevalence of the Internet, however, is a game changer, because most communications, even from other countries, travel through U.S.-based servers.

Intelligence agencies, therefore, require permission from the U.S. owners of these assets to monitor them. Intelligence agencies have to demonstrate that a particular thread of communications from a foreign source warrants attention, and so they make their case to the secret Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court, mirroring the act of domestic law enforcement agencies securing a search warrant. Once they have this warrant, the companies are lawfully obligated to provide them access.

FreedomFan

Snarky 'ol Cuss
I've been making the point all along that this is the kind of government we've been asking for over the last 30 years (judging by who we've been electing), so no one has a right to complain.

While we're busy circle jerking over which wing of the single-party monolith is less evil, this is what we end up with.

Too bad suckers. I've no sympathy for you.