600 Christians slaughtered by Muslims in Northern Nigeria

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
KANO, Nigeria (Reuters) - Christian community leaders said 500-600 people, mostly Christians, were killed in two days of rioting by Muslims in the northern Nigerian city of Kano.
Reverend Andrew Ubah, General Secretary of the Christian Association of Nigeria in Kano, told Reuters that he had records of almost 600 killed in the rioting by Muslims seeking to avenge the killing of hundreds of Muslims in central Nigeria last week.

Linkage: http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=worldNews&storyID=5133744

Anyone got any linkage about the incident where Muslims were killed in Central Nigeria last week?

SuperGrover

jack of all trades
http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsPackageArticle.jhtml?type=worldNews&storyID=506156&section=news

"On Sunday, hundreds of Christian Tarok militia invaded the town of Yelwa, sealed off roads to town with felled trees, and killed hundreds of Fulani with machine guns and machetes.

A Muslim community leader said 630 bodies had been buried in the town. Abdullahi D. Abdullahi showed a Reuters correspondent a foul-smelling area of freshly turned earth where he said the bodies had been buried."

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Looks like both sides might be equally guilty.
Anyone know who started this thing? I'm not really familiar with current events in Africa.

Stang Girl

Mr. and Mrs.!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by sleuth14
Looks like both sides might be equally guilty.
Anyone know who started this thing? I'm not really familiar with current events in Africa.

I think it is because we sent pepole over and they do not want us to held

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member

The attack followed the killing of almost 100 Christians in Yelwa in February, including 48 massacred in a church, and brought the total death toll in three months of fighting in the region to at least 1,000.

"In Yelwa many Christians were slaughtered and the churches there were burned down by Muslims.

Muslims dominate the north of Nigeria and Christians the south, although significant minorities exist in both regions.

In ethnically diverse Plateau state, in the centre of the country, the two religions had been cohabiting peacefully for generations until ethnic and religious fighting tore apart the state capital Jos in 2001.

It helps if you actually read the articles posted. :razz:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by Sharon
It helps if you actually read the articles posted. :razz:

Still doesn't say what started it... just says there was some kind of conflict at the capitol city. :confused:

Stang Girl

Mr. and Mrs.!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Still doesn't say what started it... just says there was some kind of conflict at the capitol city. :confused:

I thought it was over there re election? SO they satrted fighting and thats when we sent the Army over to help out?

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
My guess...ethnic and religious fighting started it by their competing claims over the fertile farmlands of Plateau state in central Nigeria. :biggrin:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by Sharon
My guess...ethnic and religious fighting started it by their competing claims over the fertile farmlands of Plateau state in central Nigeria. :biggrin:

:spank:

I was looking for a specific incident you big :dork: