New Astronauts Named

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
This is exciting news!

NASA picks 8 new astronauts, 4 of them women - New York News | NYC Breaking News

NASA has eight new astronauts — its first new batch in four years.

The space agency announced its newest astronaut class Monday. Among the lucky candidates: the first female fighter pilot to become an astronaut in nearly two decades. A female helicopter pilot also is in the group. In fact, four of the eight are women, the highest percentage of female astronaut candidates ever selected by NASA.

The eight were chosen from more than 6,000 applications, the second largest number ever received. They will report for duty in August at Johnson Space Center in Houston.

NASA Administrator Charles Bolden says these new candidates will help lead the first human mission to an asteroid, and then Mars.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
However, I'm really perplexed over one of them. Does this description seem odd to anybody else?

Jessica U. Meir, Ph.D., 35 is from Caribou, Maine. She is a graduate of Brown University, has an advanced degree from the International Space University, and earned her doctorate from Scripps Institution of Oceanography. Meir currently is an Assistant Professor of Anesthesia at Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
And PAXR has another TWO astronauts!

Woot woot!

Congratulations to them and good luck on their future missions! How exciting!

Nicole Aunapu Mann, 35, Major, U.S. Marine Corps, originally is from Penngrove, Calif. She is a graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy, Stanford (Calif.) University and the U.S. Naval Test Pilot School, Patuxent River, Md. Mann is an F/A 18 pilot, currently serving as an Integrated Product Team Lead at the U.S. Naval Air Station, Patuxent River.

Anne C. McClain, 34, Major, U.S. Army, lists her hometown as Spokane, Wash. She is a graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, N.Y.; the University of Bath and the University of Bristol, both in the United Kingdom. McClain is an OH-58 helicopter pilot, and a recent graduate of U.S. Naval Test Pilot School at Naval Air Station, Patuxent River.

bcp

In My Opinion
However, I'm really perplexed over one of them. Does this description seem odd to anybody else?

Jessica U. Meir, Ph.D., 35 is from Caribou, Maine. She is a graduate of Brown University, has an advanced degree from the International Space University, and earned her doctorate from Scripps Institution of Oceanography. Meir currently is an Assistant Professor of Anesthesia at Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston.

You need people with strong science background as well as flight experience.
Sounds reasonable to me.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
You need people with strong science background as well as flight experience.
Sounds reasonable to me.
Let me break out what's odd to me

has an advanced degree from the International Space University
earned her doctorate from Scripps Institution of Oceanography

is an Assistant Professor of Anesthesia at Harvard Medical School

Her studies, her "doctorate", do not match up with teaching "anesthesia" to me.

bcp

In My Opinion

I saw that, however currently, many peoples degrees don't line up with the jobs they are doing.
when a PHD in Quantum Physics is flipping burgers at McDonalds, nothing surprises me

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka

An assistant professor of anesthesia may be working in laboratory looking at partial pressure of gases (such as oxygen and nitrogen) as related to zero gravity or zero barometric pressure. Getting an assignment to the medical school might be a pre-requisite to use the hyperbaric chamber or the altitude chamber. Seems perfectly reasonable for the astronaut program.

afjess1989

Amount of F##Ks given, 0
This is exciting news!

NASA picks 8 new astronauts, 4 of them women - New York News | NYC Breaking News

NASA has eight new astronauts — its first new batch in four years.

The space agency announced its newest astronaut class Monday. Among the lucky candidates: the first female fighter pilot to become an astronaut in nearly two decades. A female helicopter pilot also is in the group. In fact, four of the eight are women, the highest percentage of female astronaut candidates ever selected by NASA.

The eight were chosen from more than 6,000 applications, the second largest number ever received. They will report for duty in August at Johnson Space Center in Houston.

NASA Administrator Charles Bolden says these new candidates will help lead the first human mission to an asteroid, and then Mars.

that is COOL!