My picky eater is in the hospital

acommondisaster

She stopped eating completely. Tests on Monday showed that she has pancreatitis; xrays show a small liver. No signs of any big tumors or anything. She was very jaundiced and also dehydrated. Today, she still wont eat for them, so they're keeping her another night. I dropped a blanket off for her, as I knew she had to be miserable in a cold empty cage. :(

frequentflier

happy to be living
She stopped eating completely. Tests on Monday showed that she has pancreatitis; xrays show a small liver. No signs of any big tumors or anything. She was very jaundiced and also dehydrated. Today, she still wont eat for them, so they're keeping her another night. I dropped a blanket off for her, as I knew she had to be miserable in a cold empty cage. :(

:huggy:

mamatutu

mama to two

I am so sorry. Don't be sad. I know that doesn't help. Just remember you have done all you can, and, also, remember that so many here have been through their own pet trauma, and are here for you. :huggy:

acommondisaster

Is there a chance for recovery? Sorry you are going thru this.

Don't know yet what the outlook is. From what I've been reading, pancreatitis is tricky; and she was in the acute phase. Even once they've recovered, it seems the long term outlook isn't promising. I can't imagine being without her, she's been a constant companion for 11 years.

Just needed to vent a little and I know everyone here loves their dogs as much as I do, which is comforting.

belvak

Happy Camper
Don't know yet what the outlook is. From what I've been reading, pancreatitis is tricky; and she was in the acute phase. Even once they've recovered, it seems the long term outlook isn't promising. I can't imagine being without her, she's been a constant companion for 11 years.

Just needed to vent a little and I know everyone here loves their dogs as much as I do, which is comforting.

:huggy: Hoping for a positive resolution for her!

:huggy:

luvmygdaughters

My granddog, King, has been diagnosed with this. It seems maybe 2x a year he goes thru bouts of it. Hope all turns out well for your baby. 11 years is a long time to have a wonderful 4legged friend.

slotpuppy

Ass-hole

:huggy: I know what you are going through. My girl has been in the hospital since monday. She has autoimmune disease and had to have an emergncy blood transfusion. I hope your baby gets better.

ginwoman

:huggy: I know what you are going through. My girl has been in the hospital since monday. She has autoimmune disease and had to have an emergncy blood transfusion. I hope your baby gets better.

Hey Slotpuppy - this is kind of OT but they are just finding out that my mother has "autoimmune disease". Hopefully they can narrow it down a little as to what type? Good luck with your baby SP :howdy:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out

OMG... just replied to another post of yours :whistle:

does she have IMHA (chit.... )

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
Hey Slotpuppy - this is kind of OT but they are just finding out that my mother has "autoimmune disease". Hopefully they can narrow it down a little as to what type? Good luck with your baby SP :howdy:
:huggy: Thank you.
OMG... just replied to another post of yours :whistle:

does she have IMHA (chit.... )

I dont remember. All the paperwork is at home and my brian is still foggy from lack of sleep.

acommondisaster

Slotpuppy, I hope your pup gets well fast, too. My dog was diagnosed with autoimmune disease a couple of years ago and she responded very quickly to steroids; but it sounds like your pup's condition is a little more serious. I also suspect that maybe my dog was misdiagnosed; when her symptoms cleared up, she was fine for awhile and then had a second bout that was diagnosed as flea allergy by a different vet in the office - and giving her a better flea treatment (the vet said that Frontline no longer worked, especially in our area) cleared it up faster (and cheaper) than the steroids did, once I paid for bloodwork.

Frankly, I'm beginning to think that diagnosing our dogs is a crapshoot. My dog's been in the hospital since Monday and she's there at least until tomorrow. Dangit, that's longer than I was in the hospital for a double bypass operation, and she's still just barely eating. At some point, I'm going to have to say she's 11 years old, I love her and whatever happens is in God's hands, because there IS a limit - because at some point I'm going to be forking over $1k to hear there's nothing they can do for her and I'm going to wonder why didn't you tell me that at $200 when it was an office visit and bloodwork? I'm so conflicted about this.