Looking for suspect. Sorry thats all I can say.

WA POLICE (Australia) have defended their policy of banning ethnic or religious words to describe offenders after it was attacked by the Police Union as 'political correctness gone mad'.

The policy, a direct order from Police Commissioner Karl O'Callaghan, means officers can no longer use details such as a suspect's nationality, race or religion when seeking public help."These rules don't give a true indication of who police are looking for," the source said.

"There is a big difference between a dark-skinned person being Aboriginal or African. And if we are looking for an Asian person-of-interest it's a bit narrow to describe them as simply having fair skin and dark hair."

But Equal Opportunity Commission state commissioner Yvonne Henderson said using ethnic descriptions reinforced negative stereotypes.

"It can feed into prejudiced ideas in the community about which ethnicities are mainly responsible for criminal behaviour," she said.

WA Police defend policy on not naming offenders' race | News.com.au

Bay_Kat

Tropical
I was watching this on TV this morning, the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Makes absolutely no sense at all.

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
Please be on the lookout for a person of intrest in a robbery. They have been described as human, average height and build with skin that is not too light or not too dark. Please contact the police if you see them.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
"It can feed into prejudiced ideas in the community about which ethnicities are mainly responsible for criminal behaviour," she said.

Um, how is that prejudice?

Prejudice: prejudging; preconception; bias

If certain ethnicities are mainly responsible for the criminal behavior in a community, it's not pre- anything.

JeJeTe

Happiness
WA POLICE (Australia) have defended their policy of banning ethnic or religious words to describe offenders after it was attacked by the Police Union as 'political correctness gone mad'.

The policy, a direct order from Police Commissioner Karl O'Callaghan, means officers can no longer use details such as a suspect's nationality, race or religion when seeking public help."These rules don't give a true indication of who police are looking for," the source said.

"There is a big difference between a dark-skinned person being Aboriginal or African. And if we are looking for an Asian person-of-interest it's a bit narrow to describe them as simply having fair skin and dark hair."

But Equal Opportunity Commission state commissioner Yvonne Henderson said using ethnic descriptions reinforced negative stereotypes.

WA Police defend policy on not naming offenders' race | News.com.au

This is stupid. It's not prejudiced if a certain community is mainly responsible for criminal behavior.

Also, stating someone's ethinicity is part of a description. If the description is done in a PC way, how is it prejudiced? :shrug:

Chris0nllyn

Being in the middle of nowhere has gotten to their heads.

Perth is about the only major city in Western Aus. for thousands of miles.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Interesting, I didn't see it in the article, but what I saw on TV this morning mentioned New York and the police not being able to use gender as a description because it may offend someone. Wow.

Chris0nllyn

Interesting, I didn't see it in the article, but what I saw on TV this morning mentioned New York and the police not being able to use gender as a description because it may offend someone. Wow.

Well, the NYPD can stop and frisk anyone, so it's not a big deal.

:lol:

dontknowwhy

(calls police tipline)
me:
yeah, I found your perp, just as you described them, minus any description
police: really? where are they?
me: here on the street
police: which street
me: I can't tell you that.
police: why not
me: it's in a bad part of town
police: well, you're not helping us to catch the perp
me: I don't want to give you a negative impression of a criminal.

ZARA

Please be on the lookout for a person of intrest in a robbery. They have been described as human, average height and build with skin that is not too light or not too dark. Please contact the police if you see them.

:killingme:buddies:

Sweet 16

^^8^^
Um, how is that prejudice?

Prejudice: prejudging; preconception; bias

If certain ethnicities are mainly responsible for the criminal behavior in a community, it's not pre- anything.

Exactly. It's not stereotyping then. It's FACT. And if no particular ethnic or racial group shows more of a propensity toward crime than any other group, then there shouldn't be a problem.