Powell

SmallTown

Football season!
I've always liked Powell, but this threw me for a loop. Telling the arabs what to think?? Now that is a way to spread "american freedom" :rolleyes:

The Arab world should be showing "a higher level of outrage" over the death of an American businessman whose beheading was posted on an Islamist Web site last week, U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell said Sunday.

"There's no excuse for silence on this kind of murder," Powell told NBC's "Meet the Press."

"I would like to have seen a much higher level of outrage throughout the world, but especially in the Arab world, to this murder," he said.

Christy

b*tch rocket
I think it's great Powell has finally called them to the carpet. It's about time. I'm tired of hearing from our administration that "Arabs really are our friends". Put up or shut up. Saying nothing is just as good as condoning it IMHO.

willie

Originally posted by SmallTown
I've always liked Powell, but this threw me for a loop. Telling the arabs what to think?? Now that is a way to spread "american freedom" :rolleyes:

The Arab world should be showing "a higher level of outrage" over the death of an American businessman whose beheading was posted on an Islamist Web site last week, U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell said Sunday.

"There's no excuse for silence on this kind of murder," Powell told NBC's "Meet the Press."

"I would like to have seen a much higher level of outrage throughout the world, but especially in the Arab world, to this murder," he said.
What did you want, another Jimmy Carter?

SmallTown

Football season!
But really, is it really worth it if we have to TELL them to be outraged? Kinda defeats the point.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
But really, is it really worth it if we have to TELL them to be outraged? Kinda defeats the point.
It's not going to work, ST. I've got your number. I know you don't believe Powell was telling anyone what to think. I know you're just saying that in hopes someone will come scrap with you.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by vraiblonde
It's not going to work, ST. I've got your number. I know you don't believe Powell was telling anyone what to think. I know you're just saying that in hopes someone will come scrap with you.

Those were powell's words. Not some left wing media conspiracy!

"The Arab world should be showing a higher level of outrage" pretty much sums it up

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
"The Arab world should be showing a higher level of outrage" pretty much sums it up.

Well, shouldn't they? :shrug:
Seems to me if they want us to believe that Islam is not about violence like this (which, presumably that is what they want), they ought to be outraged by anyone who sets their cause back like this.

Seems like common sense to me. :confused:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Originally posted by sleuth14
Well, shouldn't they? :shrug:
Seems like common sense to me. :confused:

:biggrin: Sometimes, certain people(who shall remain nameless) can't see see the trees from the forest.

I think it was a good approach Colin Powell took in this case. If, as Iraqis, you want to be rid of tyranny, as in the past and even in the present times, well dammit, show us!

ylexot

Super Genius
We have a saying at work: "Silence is concurrence". That means if you don't speak up, it is assumed you agree. Same thing in this situation.

B

Bruzilla

I think it's about time we started telling the Arab world how to think. We told the Germans, Italians, and Japanese what to think after World War II, and look at how far they've come. Sure beats the hell out of them going to war every few years. Maybe if we stood on the necks of the Arabs and said "that'll be enough of this crap" we wouldn't be getting dragged into conflicts over there every few years.

There was one Axis country we didn't tell what to do after World War II... that was Russia, and that fact only led to a 40-year Cold War. Maybe there's a lesson to be learned there.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
People who live under...

...dictatorships, malignant monarchs, evil emperors et al naturally develop a...well...beaten spouse syndrome.

Look at Arabs. Their heros are not John Wayne, beat the bad guy and all his dirty tricks, win the girl and have a Bud riding off into the sunset.

The people they are taught to revere murder innocent people and kill themselves in the process in the name of fantasy.

There's no gladiators. No Churchill. No military pride that serves a flag over any one man. No Washington. No M.L. King Jr.

Powell has the same wish that 1/2 of Americans do; A wish that says it's time to stand up for justice and right and to build something instead of destroy.

Those who might do so face the uphill battle of their own history in addition to 1/2 of Americans, their liberators, who are criminally cynical and do not want to see them succeed for small, petty reasons.

It's pretty ugly and it's all uphill.

Powell is trying to help push because there are plenty of people already leaning against them.

B

Bruzilla

I was just thinking... I couldn't remember Smalltown voicing any concerns with the US telling foreign people what to think when we were telling Milosovich and the Serbians that it was wrong to kill Muslims. Or when the US was telling the Haitians that it was wrong to keep butchering one another. Or when we were telling the Somolians that it was wrong to kill one another. So why is it now so wrong for the US to tell the Arabs that it's wrong to kill Amercians?

Could it be that Smalltown is an anti-semite and is glad to see another Jew get killed? Nah, no way. Could it be that Smalltown is against people from PA? Nah, that can't be either. Could it be that Smalltown is just demonstrating, once again, that knack of Democrats to think something is great when they do it but grist for the attack mill when Republicans do it? Could this just be a pitiful partisan attempt to put what's politically beneficial before what's right? Please... say it isn't so!!! :biggrin:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Originally posted by Bruzilla
I was just thinking... I couldn't remember Smalltown voicing any concerns with the US telling foreign people what to think when we were telling Milosovich and the Serbians that it was wrong to kill Muslims.

Could it be that Smalltown is just demonstrating, once again, that knack of Democrats to think something is great when they do it but grist for the attack mill when Republicans do it? Could this just be a pitiful partisan attempt to put what's politically beneficial before what's right? Please... say it isn't so!!! :biggrin:
:cool: Somehow, I don't think you'll get a rebuttal on these musings.
I also think vrai pretty much nailed it when she said she didn't be lieve Smalltown felt that was the case about Colin Powell, that he was just trying to find someone to scrap with.

Is this something new?:biggrin:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by sleuth14
Well, shouldn't they?
EXACTLY! There is no adult person in the US that doesn't realize the Arab world could use some lessons on modern civility. ST's just yankin' our chain.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by Bruzilla
I was just thinking... I couldn't remember Smalltown voicing any concerns with the US telling foreign people what to think when we were telling Milosovich and the Serbians that it was wrong to kill Muslims. Or when the US was telling the Haitians that it was wrong to keep butchering one another. Or when we were telling the Somolians that it was wrong to kill one another. So why is it now so wrong for the US to tell the Arabs that it's wrong to kill Amercians?

Could it be that Smalltown is an anti-semite and is glad to see another Jew get killed? Nah, no way. Could it be that Smalltown is against people from PA? Nah, that can't be either. Could it be that Smalltown is just demonstrating, once again, that knack of Democrats to think something is great when they do it but grist for the attack mill when Republicans do it? Could this just be a pitiful partisan attempt to put what's politically beneficial before what's right? Please... say it isn't so!!! :biggrin:

Ot it could be the obvious, I wasn't an active poster back then or even registered with this board during some of those events. But there is a big difference between attempted genocide, and a single killing. Also a difference between state-sponsored killing, and the acts of a few terrorists. Did we show world-wide remorse for the many civilians that have been killed in Afghanistan or Iraq? Nope. How about the people we were holding in our prison camps that died. We just gave back the body with a "sh!t happens" attitude

Partisan reaction on my part? Oh please! Say you didn't go there! Now the killing of an American citizen by terrorists, and the lack of response from the Arabs is a political issue? :confused: :killingme Love it when someone on here disagrees with something, and they are instant liberals. Show the lack of attention some of you bring to the table.