Shoppers Food Warehouse

SmallTown

Football season!
Has anyone been to the new store yet? We were there this past Sunday for their opening (Hey, I live in Southern Maryland.. ALWAYS a big deal when something new opens).. Came out pretty impressed.. Of course many of the cashiers were imports from other stores until the locals get trained, but I think they will be fine. Pricing was interesting.. Some things we bough were A LOT cheaper than Giant, while others were roughly the same price or even a little higher. A big thumbs up goes to the layout which actually allows you to have two carts side by side in an aisle and still make it through (unlike Giant).

The deli and meat depertments seemed pretty good as well. I don't think the deli has a wide of a selection as Giant, but still very good (I could be wrong about this.. The area was PACKED when I was there and maybe I didn't get a good view)
overall, I give it :yay: :yay:

AnonymousPenguin

Lead Penguin
I went there last night to pick up a few things...and I like it.
I actually found some stuff that were priced lower than Walmart (I think).

I'm glad they opened up another grocery store... I was missing the Superfresh.... Superfresh seemed a little more nicer looking tho.

I found the cashiers to not be very friendly at this SFW....just some young girls that didn't want to be there at all...but oh well...
I liked the cashiers that the Super Fresh used to have...very friendly...

The Shoppers would probably become my new grocery store stop. After the SuperFresh closed, I went to the Food Lion off of route 5...I think that's Callaway. Now, it will be Shoppers...it's more convenient for me...

:yay:

was wondering if they shined a bright light at night during the grand opening??? I find it funny when they do that here. I think about 10 years ago when the Kmart opened in Prince Frederick they had a big spotlight shining up in the sky, as if it was the opening of a big Hollywood Premier movie or something. And when the Food Lion opened in Solomons the big light came out again.

SmallTown

Football season!
Oh yes, they had the lights out.. Just like when the Verizon store opened and when the Chrysler dealership had a big sale.. Kinda funny actually.. In a small town like this, word gets around fast.. I don't think they really need those lights..

seasquirt

Vermicious Knid
I must say I was very impressed with the produce. I think I counted four different varieties of banana. Plus they sell prickly pear cactus pieces!(I've always wanted to try it.) And the selection of Goya products is amazing.

Y

yornoc

Originally posted by seasquirt
I must say I was very impressed with the produce. I think I counted four different varieties of banana. Plus they sell prickly pear cactus pieces!(I've always wanted to try it.) And the selection of Goya products is amazing.

I agree! I like the produce selection and the prices. :cheers:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
I love Shoppers!!

I haven't checked out the new California one yet, but I shop at the one in Laurel all the time. WAY cheaper than all the other stores, even Food Lion. I'll admit that the cashiers and atmosphere leave something to be desired, but I'm all about a good deal, and find that to be most important quality of a grocery store. My fiancee is a buyer for Giant of MD, and I still shop at the cheaper places (shame on me!! :nono:)! I know Giant helps pay my bills, yada yada, but I just can't see paying so much for for the same item I can get down the street for a much better price.

Do they have the double conveyors for groceries at the new one? That's the only complaint about the one I normally shop, they have the double conveyors so they can really rush people through, but there is RARELY anyone bagging groceries. If there were baggers the double conveyors would be awesome, though! Just makes it a pain when you are trying to pay, then have to go bag your stuff, then before you can finish bagging someone else's stuff is rolling down the line at you, haha!

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Love SFW, will not shop anywhere else again! Used to shop at SFW in Rockville before moving to LexPark. The prices are always lower than McKays, Giant and even Food Lion. Plus it isn't as trashy as the Food Lion in Lex Park and the cashiers are not as lazy as the ones at the Food Lion in California.

Where else in the area will you ROUTINELY find bananas for $.33 a lb. or Coke for $2 a 12 pack, burger for $.99 a lb. or Goya food for that matter?

I hope the other stores in town suffer from it. When I moved to the DC area I expected to pay more for housing not to pay a king's ransom for groceries like I did at Giant and McKays.

Plus.......my favorite thing about it.......NO CARD IS NEEDED TO GET THE SPECIALS!!!!!!!!!

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I must have been a lucky dog when I shopped there yesterday. My cashier Tasha was great! :smile: You guys must have gotten in the wrong line. :lol: I like the place, they have some stuff I can't get at the other stores, but also they didn't have every brand in some things. I guess I'll wait and see how their prices are after the grand opening.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by Sharon
...but also they didn't have every brand in some things.

That's the only issue I have with all the more discount stores like SFW, Food Lion, etc... They don't have product that you see advertised, and don't carry certain flavors of particular items, etc... I deal with it, though! Then again, the same thing occurs in Giant and other stores, just with different items. For instance, I know that Giant won't carry Donald Duck brand O.J. because they feel it is below their standards....PaaahhhhLEASE!!! But, to each his own, and they have a right to carry what they don't want to I guess. That just leaves us customers trying to figure out who carries what, etc...

seasquirt

Vermicious Knid
Donald Duck orange juice - below Giant's standards? I drank that stuff throughout my childhood, and I turned out fine!!! :twitch: