Let Shooting Victims Sue

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link to original article.

"A BASIC function of law in a civilized society is to allocate the costs of harm to those who caused it. In the case of a gang shooting or terrorist attack, penalties are imposed on the gang member or terrorist. But what of the person who sold them their weapons?

In 2004, relatives of eight people shot in the Washington-area sniper attacks received $2.5 million dollars from the maker and seller of the rifle used in those shootings. That was a matter of simple justice. But the gun lobby had no use for that kind of justice. They went to work and, the next year, Congress passed the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, severely reducing the legal liability of gun manufacturers, distributors and dealers for reckless acts that send guns to the black market. The National Rifle Association called it “the most significant piece of pro-gun legislation in 20 years.”

This kind of legislation encourages arms dealers to turn a blind eye to the lethal consequences of what they peddle, and rewards their breathtaking irresponsibility.

An executive at one top gun company admitted that it didn’t try to learn whether the dealers who sold its firearms were involved in the black market. “I don’t even know what a gun trafficker is,” he said in a court deposition reviewed by The New York Times.

The 2005 law is just one example of Congressional actions that have reduced gun-industry liability and gutted consumer protections. The result of all this legislation, as Jonathan E. Lowy, director of the legal action project at the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, has noted, is that a defective BB gun can be recalled, but not a real gun with a similar defect."

" Decades ago, the tobacco industry hired doctors to plug the health benefits of cigarettes, and the auto industry claimed that seat belts were an unnecessary extravagance. The results were an epidemic of deaths, followed by civil law suits, followed by industry reform.

Today, smoking is down and cars are safer. In part, we have the market to thank. When these industries acted irresponsibly, basic principles of civil liability placed the costs of illness and accident where they belonged. Once their bottom line was affected, even the most myopic executives had to take notice.

I believe that with rights come responsibilities. By immunizing the gun industry from basic principles of legal liability, Congress kept the rights and repealed the responsibilities.

The Second Amendment right to bear arms is an important right. But the contours of that right must not extend to those who look away as their guns enter the hands of criminals and the mentally unstable. Congress should immediately repeal the 2005 gun immunity law, and let free-market incentives encourage responsible behavior by the gun industry. "

So I can sue Chevy, Ford or Chrysler, etc. should someone hit me with their vehicle? I can sue Ginseng if someone stabs me with their knife?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
An executive at one top gun company admitted that it didn’t try to learn whether the dealers who sold its firearms were involved in the black market. “I don’t even know what a gun trafficker is,” he said in a court deposition reviewed by The New York Times.

Eric Holder <---- What an illegal gun trafficker looks like.

But that aside, the regulation of FFLs is the job of the BATF and the individual state authorities, not those who manufacture firerarms. Always has been that way.

But you wouldn't have known that, of course.:coffee:

Vince

In 2004, relatives of eight people shot in the Washington-area sniper attacks received $2.5 million dollars from the maker and seller of the rifle used in those shootings. That was a matter of simple justice.
This was a matter of stupidity not justice. Like kwillia said, "So I can sue Chevy, Ford or Chrysler, etc. should someone hit me with their vehicle?" Same as the seller and the gun company. I guess next time someone hits me with their new Toyota, I can sue the dealer and Toyota.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
And in other news, Oneida was hit with a class-action lawsuit today, filed on behalf of 324 morbidly obese persons.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
In 2004, relatives of eight people shot in the Washington-area sniper attacks received $2.5 million dollars from the maker and seller of the rifle used in those shootings.

Really was the Weapon Defective ?

maybe we should sue WalMart for selling knives

gas stations for supplying gasoline that make cars move, so people get run over ....
Ford for selling the most trucks ....
repair shops that keep these 1 ton missiles riding down the road

Boeing for building the 737's that were flown into the Twin Towers ....