Kerry TV Ad

ylexot

Super Genius
I saw a Kerry ad on TV last night. The ad says "in the 1990s cast a decisive vote that created 20 million new jobs".

Does anyone have any idea what vote that was? The only way legislation has the ability to create jobs is if it's the creation of a government department. I don't remember the creation of a 20 million-strong government department in the 90s.

I couldn't find out what the ad was talking about on his web site, but I did find the video. It's called "Lifetime". Maybe I'll email then and ask them WTF?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
He's FOS. There is no one vote in the world that would create 20 million jobs. Why do you think he's so evasive about it? He's hoping the voters are as stupid as he is.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Kerry really needs to have a woman doing his commercial voice-overs. That's who he needs behind him and he should be speaking to them.

ylexot

Super Genius
Originally posted by vraiblonde
He's FOS. There is no one vote in the world that would create 20 million jobs. Why do you think he's so evasive about it? He's hoping the voters are as stupid as he is.
That was pretty much what I thought when I heard that. I got a response from them...just a form letter. It says NOTHING to answer my question. Maybe I'll try the forum :banghead:

rraley

The ad is referring to the Clinton budget and economic package, which passed by only one vote in the Senate. After the package's passage, 20 million jobs were created and most economists point to it as the reason for the so-called Clinton boom. The ad is misleading and is quite controversial as it is based on the controversy of whether Clinton created the goodtimes of the boom or whether President Bush the first did. Democrats will point to the package as the reason for the boom while Republicans will point to Bush's final actions in office as the reason for the boom. So, I am sure that most of the people on this forum will not believe that the Clinton package created the boom so you probably are still scratching your head about the ad. But remember, it is a political ad, and they are inherently misleading. Kerry has misleading ads as does President Bush, you just need to cut through the rhetoric and reach the truth.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by rraley
Kerry has misleading ads as does President Bush, you just need to cut through the rhetoric and reach the truth.

Yes. I keep waiting for them to accuse one another of kicking kittens for sport.

rraley

Originally posted by Tonio
Yes. I keep waiting for them to accuse one another of kicking kittens for sport.

Yes I know; it is truly sad that the political discourse of this nation has degraded as far as it has. Both sides need to get off their high horses and have a real debate - not a series of pissing contests.

ylexot

Super Genius
Originally posted by rraley
The ad is referring to the Clinton budget and economic package, which passed by only one vote in the Senate.
Ok, I didn't realize that there was a single vote that was claimed to cause the boom. Of course, I don't credit Clinton or Bush for the boom. I give credit to the guy that created the internet (no, not Al Gore).

rraley

Originally posted by ylexot
Ok, I didn't realize that there was a single vote that was claimed to cause the boom. Of course, I don't credit Clinton or Bush for the boom. I give credit to the guy that created the internet (no, not Al Gore).

Silly as it may seem, that is what the ad bases its one vote statement on. There is no way in hell that that one vote could be pointed to as the entire reason for the boom; there were many factors with the package being one of them, but to suggest that it was the sole reason to do that is very irresponsible.

B

Bruzilla

I don't think Bush Sr or Clinton deserve credit either. The boom of the 90's resulted from three factors:

1. The phenominal growth of computer technologies up until the Pentium II era when businesses realized they didn't need to make massive capital investments in new hardware so that their employees could do something .00000002 times faster. I had five new computers between 1992 and 1996, and one from 1996 to 2001.

2. The unrealistic growth of Internet stocks... despite the fact that many economists commented on how companies with $100,000 in rapidly-depreciating assets could be worth millions.

3. Chris Dodd's and Joe Lieberman's bill that allowed auditing companies to have a financial stake in the businesses they audited.

Once corporations quit buying new computer hardware, investors realized that 95% of Internet stocks were worthless, and companies like ENRON weren't reaping profits despite massive investments (which turned out to be fake), the Clinton economic miracle went bust.

rraley

Originally posted by Bruzilla
1. The phenominal growth of computer technologies up until the Pentium II era when businesses realized they didn't need to make massive capital investments in new hardware so that their employees could do something .00000002 times faster. I had five new computers between 1992 and 1996, and one from 1996 to 2001.

2. The unrealistic growth of Internet stocks... despite the fact that many economists commented on how companies with $100,000 in rapidly-depreciating assets could be worth millions.

3. Chris Dodd's and Joe Lieberman's bill that allowed auditing companies to have a financial stake in the businesses they audited.

This is all and all a pretty good interpretation of the economic boom of the 1990s, but I will say that the pro-business policies of President Clinton (which was manifested through a multitude of programs such as the Dodd-Lieberman bill that you referred to) also had some to do with it. Some credit does belong to Clinton in that regard.